The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 29, 2012, 11:11 AM   #1
madhat

sighting in a scope using laser

laser sight cartridge, has anyone owned one or has had luck with them? i want to order this one what do you think?

http://www.amazon.com/Firefield-30-0...ds=30.06+laser

A Bolt 30.06 Browning
Swift Silver scope
Old August 29, 2012, 11:17 AM   #2
kraigwy

Like any other bore sighter, you may get close, but you need to shoot the gun to get a zero.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 29, 2012, 11:18 AM   #3
madhat

i just did a old school bore sight with my eyes we will see where that gets me first, i saw a tool where you place it in the front on your gun barrel and the top part is a graph what is that tool called?
Old August 29, 2012, 07:23 PM   #4
Groundhog34

I had one, it would get a round on the paper at 25 yards no more.
Old August 29, 2012, 08:07 PM   #5
Creeper

Why on earth would you need a laser to sight in a bolt action rifle?

C
Old August 29, 2012, 08:59 PM   #6
geetarman

Quote:
Why on earth would you need a laser to sight in a bolt action rifle?
I have done it both ways. The laser is pretty darn good. Probably saves a bunch of looking and adjusting when taking a scope off one rifle and putting it on another.

You would still need to fine tune at the range.

Carpe Cerveza
Old August 29, 2012, 09:08 PM   #7
madhat

i'm new at gun's and would enjoy all help whats the best way to sight in a rifle without spending $100 in ammo
Old August 29, 2012, 09:40 PM   #8
Creeper

Quote:
Probably saves a bunch of looking and adjusting when taking a scope off one rifle and putting it on another.
I guess the way I do it and the way you do it are two different ways... but then, I've been doing it for 40 years, so there's not a lot of looking and adjusting involved.

Cheers,
C
Old August 30, 2012, 12:01 PM   #9
jmr40

They are all a waste of money. With a bolt rifle, set the rifle on a rest and line up the crosshairs with a target at 50 yards. Look through the bore and note how much you are off, and in which direction. Adjust your scope and fire 1 shot. I zeroed 3 rifles and scopes Tuesday. These are the 1st shots from each rifle at 50 yards using this method.

http://s1129.photobucket.com/albums/...ent=001-10.jpg

Trust me, none of the boresight tools are this accurate, and the ones with lasers are the least accurate.

I adjust my sights and fire the 2nd shot at 100 yards. Adjust again and shot #3 will be perfectly zeroed. I don't waste time or ammo with 3 shot groups until after I use 3 shots to zero.

If you cannot see through the barrel, just use a large sheet of poster board for a target, they are 28 cents each at Walmart. It is impossible to miss. Even if the 1st shot is a foot or more off all you have to do is measure the distance and count the number of clicks before making your 2nd shot.

I've never needed more than 4 shots to get zeroed and can do it with 3 with a bolt rifle. I can't see on of these gadgets ever saving me a single round of ammo.
Old August 30, 2012, 12:37 PM   #10
geetarman

Quote:
Trust me, none of the boresight tools are this accurate, and the ones with lasers are the least accurate.
You are entitled to your opinion.

The SiteLite Lasers that I use are actually surprisingly accurate. All that is needed is a clean bore.

I worked with the owner and ceo of that company for a number of years when we were both at Boeing.

He really DOES know what he is doing. Like everything thing else, you do need to tweak it in on paper, but this device will get you there.

AR style rifles and M1A are a piece of cake and you don't have to use a mirror or take the bolt group out.

I have both a red and green one.

Want to put CT grips on your handgun? Mount the grips and grab the green laser. Point at a wall at the range you want to zero. Turn them on and adjust the red point until it is superimposed on the green point and you are done.

When I am done, I remove the laser and reinstall to verify. I like them.

I know some have had issues with the style that fits into the chamber but the products from SiteLite mount in the bore at the muzzle.

I sometimes switch scopes from one rifle to another and the tool helps me restablish zero without going through a bunch of gyrations.

Can you live without them? Sure. You don't have to do that.

Even our local Sportsman Warehouse uses a laser when they mount a scope for a customer in the store.

Carpe Cerveza
Old August 30, 2012, 05:31 PM   #11
jmr40

The boresighter the OP is considering shows a price of $17-$60. I can zero a rifle bolt rifle at 100 yards with 3 shots and be within 2" of a 50 yard bull on the first shot without one. I can zero any other rifle in no more than 4 shots. That is not opinion, that is fact. I have better things to spend my money on. Anyone using 1/2 a box of ammo to get their rifles zeroed is doing something wrong and using one of these tools isn't going to make things better.

Even with the tools you still have to adjust your sights, the only thing any of them claim to do is get your 1st shot on paper. That is no trick without one.
Old August 30, 2012, 06:19 PM   #12
Nathan

Just my opinion, but ALL BORESIGHTING TOOLS ARE BASICALLY MEANINGLESS.

Mount it. Look down the bore at a 25 yd target while it is on a solid rest. Adjust your scope to look the same. This should get you on paper. That is all bore sighting will do also, unless it doesn't like 70% of the time.

If your not on paper, ask an experienced shooter to do it or get a bigger target!!! . . .or go see the eye doctor.

Then fire 1 shot and adjust from the POA to POI. You should be ready to go to 50 or 100 yards at this point. . .

Oh yea, and I want the $17 - $60 the next time I do this for someone. The last time I did this for someone, they shot up my target stand once they could hit something!
Old August 30, 2012, 07:08 PM   #13
Kreyzhorse

Quote:
They are all a waste of money. With a bolt rifle, set the rifle on a rest and line up the crosshairs with a target at 50 yards. Look through the bore and note how much you are off, and in which direction. Adjust your scope and fire 1 shot. I zeroed 3 rifles and scopes Tuesday. These are the 1st shots from each rifle at 50 yards using this method.
My method is a little different, but you can get your rifle sighted in very easily using this method. I'd try it before spending your money on a laser. You might just be surprised how easy it is to get on paper. The fine tuning can be a bit harder, but no matter what method you use, the fine tuning is going to be completed by sending lead down range and tweaking your adjustments.
Old August 30, 2012, 07:52 PM   #14
wild willy

They might have some value on a hunt to check you scope after a fall or something.For sighting a gun in NO not needed.
Old August 30, 2012, 07:57 PM   #15
SIGSHR

One advantage of bore sighters is you can use them to get the scope roughly zeroed before you go to the range. And a big plus for the laser ones is you can't fire the rifle with them installed.
Old August 31, 2012, 03:22 AM   #16
impalacustom

Easiest way to sight a scope is how this video does it.
http://goo.gl/xfe5I
Old September 1, 2012, 12:22 PM   #17
Cowboy_mo

I've used several methods

Over the years, I have used several methods, most of which have already been described.

I have used the laser bore sighters and the bore sighters with the grid on the end of the gun barrel.

After getting the bore sight correct, I go out and fire once or twice at 25 yards to be sure that I am "on the paper". Then I move out to 100 yds and fine tune the scope. Bore sighters are only good for "getting you on the paper" and final adjustments must be made after firing the rifle.

I always use the bench and sand bags to improve my stability when sighting in a rifle.
Old September 2, 2012, 11:54 AM   #18
Pointshoot

I have a laser boresighter gizmo, but the one I had moved and was a pain to use/adjust. Its in some cabinet or drawer somewhere - never used past the first time. - - I use (as mentioned by someone else) one of those products that stick to your muzzle with a magnet. That gets me close so I can make my adjustments at the range.

The product mentioned by geetarman sounds interesting - - if just for the purpose of sighting in a CT laser on a couple small wheelguns. I might check them out if the price isn't ridiculous.

geetarman - - how long are these ? Will they all work in a J-frame smith or similiar size snubnosed revolver ? (CT application)

Last edited by Pointshoot; September 2, 2012 at 12:07 PM.
Old September 2, 2012, 08:54 PM   #19
geetarman

Pointshoot,

Here is a link.
http://www.sitelite-lasers.com/HowTh...OD=HowTheyWork

I really do not think it would work in your application.

You could give them a call and see if there are adapters for small frame revolvers. They work well in my 1911 platforms.
I have not tried it in anything smaller like a PPK.

Hope this helps.

Carpe Cerveza
Old September 2, 2012, 09:32 PM   #20
Pointshoot

Thanks - I did a search and found their website. I emailed them & will post after the holiday on what they say. Regards, - -
Old September 3, 2012, 04:08 PM   #21
Bart B.

Note that a barre's bore axis does not point directly at some place above the desired impact point equal to the bullet's drop from bore axis at that range when the round fires and the bullet does strike the desired impact point.

The bore axis moves a bit in different directions while the bullet's going down the barrel. How much it moves depends on how the rifle's held, where the recoil axis is relative to the butt plate's position on the shooter and how much recoil there is. Two people shooting the same rifle and ammo typically have different sight settings for a zero at a given range; it happens and is most noticed with scope sights.

So, a real accurate bore sight by any means just gets bullet impact close to point of aim, not perfect, so you gotta shoot the darned rifle and ammo to get it right.

Ever wonder why the front sight on handguns is higher above the bore axis than the rear sight? And double barrel elephant whompers' barrel axes cross 10 to 20 yards down range to zero at 40 or 50 yards.
Old September 6, 2012, 03:35 AM   #22
TheNatureBoy

A couple of years ago I purchased a bore sighter from Bass Pro Shops. Its a Red Head brand and it puts me on paper every time. Always 4-6 inches from dead center. 2-3 shots later I'm where I want to be. It doesn't matter what bore sighter you use, its gonna put you close but not close enough. You have to do the rest.
Old September 6, 2012, 07:18 PM   #23
tobnpr

Sighting down the bore is the easiest.
Only boresighter I've found worth a damn is the Leupold boresighter.
It's also helpful when changing scopes. Note the zero position of the crosshairs on the graph (sometimes not at "zero"), install new scope, adjust windage/elevation to match zero from the other scope...gets us real close.
Old September 7, 2012, 12:25 AM   #24
ragwd

I have a laser bore sighter for my 223, its good to start at 25 yards then move out and actually shoot. the best thing I found is to use the laser bore sighter is when setting up my chronograph, i get the laser set then aim thru scope to my intended target, then drop a piece of card board on my chrono, just to be sure. I havent shot my Chrono yet !
Old September 21, 2012, 01:05 PM   #25
InsaneIrish

Personally I like the laser bore sighters. They allow me to sight to "close" before ever firing a shot.

Example, I sighted in my new AR, only I forgot my bore sighter. I spent an hour trying to just FIND the paper with the bullet. The guy next to me let me borrow his bore sighter. Come to find out the scope was WAY off. Bore sighter allowed me to sight in to the paper and within 10 minutes I was zeroed in at 100 yrds.

The only draw back I've found is that most laser bore sighters are only good out to about 25yrds. I've used the Wheeler Professional Laser Bore Sighter once and that laser is MUCH stonger than any other one I've used. I can reach out A LOT further for sight in than with the smaller in chamber models.