The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Closed Thread

Old July 22, 2012, 05:43 PM   #76
Sparks1957

Quote:
in a moment of honesty he admitted their goal was no ownership of guns by civilians, and that their strategy to achieve that was to implement minor seemingly reasonable restrictions until their goal was reached
... and this is why we must resist giving in and making little concessions to the anti-gunners. I've noticed how many folks here are willing to do just that in the name of "reasonableness", and it worries me.

Once a right is given up, you'll never get it back.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:52 PM   #77
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogwiley
Its my understanding the gunman used a 100 round drum magazine. If so the NRA is rightly going to get hammered over this.

This is why I gave up my NRA membership long ago, their extremism and complete and total inflexibility is actually doing more harm than good in the long run. They give reponsible gun owners a bad name.
It never ceases to amaze me that there is always the one guy urging the others to hurry up and get in the ovens before they upset the Nazis.

A limit on ammo capacity suggests that there is some "safe" number of rounds it is OK to give to a murderer - there is no such thing. You cannot compromise with people who want to push you into the sea. If you agree to retreat to the sand dunes, they will be back as soon as someone is killed with a 10 round magazine to demand we retreat to the surf line.

I am not responsible for the criminal acts of others. Instead of blaming the tool, the blame should be on the person. Frankly, the antis should be thanking God Americans have a fixation on guns and stupid accessories. As weapons go, firearms are not really ideal for mass slaughter.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:59 PM   #78
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bartholomew Roberts
I am not responsible for the criminal acts of others. Instead of blaming the tool, the blame should be on the person. Frankly, the antis should be thanking God Americans have a fixation on guns and stupid accessories. As weapons go, firearms are not really ideal for mass slaughter.
Ain't that the truth. How many would be killed and injured by a suicide bomber in the crowded lobby of that same theatre?

It's just too hard to blame evil. There has to be something more concrete on which to focus the anger.
Old July 22, 2012, 05:59 PM   #79
Patriot86

I Had read (again this could all be inaccurate as many of the published facts in this case during the first two days seem to be) that he had been using the 100 round magazine but that there had been a malfunction. If you look at the picture of his AR-15 laying on the ground it has a normal 30 round mag in it. So obviously he had a chance to change it. See the pic below, upper left area near the door. The picture quality is not great but that looks like the shape of your traditional "Banana Clip"

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...40_634x426.jpg

I agree with what many others have said, for someone with the proper gear (mag pouches) and a little bit of practice(sounds like this guy had plenty of time to practice) I don't think even 10 round mags would have made much of a difference.

Last edited by Patriot86; July 22, 2012 at 06:05 PM.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:02 PM   #80
JohnKSa
Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLeake
It is never a bad idea to remind your local politicians that their constituency may not wish to hear gun control sound bites on the news, and will vote unfavorably should new gun control laws be proposed.
Ding, ding, ding! Winner!

If you're concerned enough to post on this thread, take a moment before you do and send a BRIEF email to your representatives encouraging them to resist those amongst their colleagues who may see this tragedy as an opportunity to infringe on the rights of law-abiding gun owners.

Did I mention that you need to keep it BRIEF? A paragraph or two is sufficient, NO MANIFESTOS, THESES OR DISSERTATIONS!!!

Calls are ok, too, letters are even better.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:10 PM   #81
Glenn E. Meyer

It was pointed out in the studies of the AWB, which no one seems to know about, that the available stock of large capacity mags was more than enough to meet the demands of anyone. That includes nuts. The mag ban had no effect on any crime indices.

Going back to a 10 round limit on new mags would be useless given what is out there (not that I think it is a good idea, at all!!).

Confiscation and turn ins wouldn't work. So, forget the feel good mag limit mantras. It would accomplish nothing without a totalitarian enforcement.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:29 PM   #82
pnac

Quote:
Quote:
It is odd how they never publicly ask how this might have gone had a concealed weapon carrier or two had been there... It might be that they were in the right place at the right time or not...
Buzzcook said:
Quote:
The guy was wearing armor. Looks like he'd prepared for the eventuality of someone being armed in the theater. I tend to doubt my ability to stand up to a guy with an AR-15 and body armor when all I got is a concealed handgun. Oh and the smoke probably wouldn't help my aim.

Two to the chest, one to the head. I think it is called the "Mozambique" technique. It's been a while, maybe younger guys don't practice it.
Oh Lord grant me speed - Gram Parsons
Old July 22, 2012, 06:34 PM   #83
Bartholomew Roberts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzzcook
The guy was wearing armor. Looks like he'd prepared for the eventuality of someone being armed in the theater. I tend to doubt my ability to stand up to a guy with an AR-15 and body armor when all I got is a concealed handgun. Oh and the smoke probably wouldn't help my aim.
I have read several reports that the shooter was wearing armor; but the one photo I saw showed your standard MOLLE carrier - and it was way too thin for plates or soft armor. I would not be surprised if he was wearing a plate carrier with no armor.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:43 PM   #84
JohnKSa
Staff

The Aurora Chief of Police explicitly said that he was wearing body armor including torso, limb and pelvis coverage and a ballistic helmet. There are also reports that, like the North Hollywood robbers, Holmes had taken medication, perhaps to dull the effect of bullet impacts felt through the armor.

I believe that the carrier vest was worn over the armor.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:43 PM   #85
hogwiley

Quote:
It never ceases to amaze me that there is always the one guy urging the others to hurry up and get in the ovens before they upset the Nazis.

A limit on ammo capacity suggests that there is some "safe" number of rounds it is OK to give to a murderer - there is no such thing. You cannot compromise with people who want to push you into the sea. If you agree to retreat to the sand dunes, they will be back as soon as someone is killed with a 10 round magazine to demand we retreat to the surf line.@
@Bartholomew Roberts

I wont even respond to your nazi line. Thats exactly the type of extreme paranoia and irrational thought that has driven the NRA into the ground, and gives gun owners a bad name.

So where do YOU draw the line on gun ownership? Should belt fed automatic weapons be legal? Should everyone be able to buy a handgun on demand with no background checks? What about grenade launchers, should those be legal?

If you ban any of those, isnt that a slippery slope that will encourage the "gun grabbers" as well? Why is it ok to ban fully automatic weapons, but not 100 round magazines? Why is it ok to have background checks at all? Shouldnt ANYONE be able to own a gun, after all its only a tool right. Should knives require background checks?

So you are either for restrictions on the 2nd amendment, or total anarchy. If you want to anarchy, go to Somalia.
Old July 22, 2012, 06:46 PM   #86
JohnKSa
Staff

Nice.

And that's going to do it for this one.