The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 26, 2014, 05:51 PM   #51
bikerbill

I wear shorts and t-shirts almost exclusively during the 7-8 warm months around central Texas and my daily carry is in the front right pocket of whichever cargo shorts I'm wearing, usually a Kahr PM9 in a pocket holster ... I hate feeling leather or kydex against my skin, so the pocket is it for me ... I carry a spare mag in a carrier in the weakside pocket opposite the gun ... In cooler weather I carry a larger gun in a belt holster on my strong side, tho I do cross-draw the Kahr in a kydex paddle holster if I'm in the mood ... once you choose, practice drawing ... I do a dozen draws from concealment every morning with an empty gun and I'm pretty fast on target from whereever the gun is hiding ..
Old February 26, 2014, 10:53 PM   #52
DaftHazard

Still lots of great suggestions. The guy at the gun shop is going to have a long day with me.

For those of you who are making the "a big gun is the only way to carry" argument; I have already decided what type of firearm that I want. There is no changing my mind. If you would like to recommend a firearm/setup, be my guest. However, this is not a thread for discussing what TYPE of firearm.

Again, I am not willing to change my wardrobe much. I always carry a knife, which I train with, as well as my martial arts background. I will put in multiple hours a week training with my firearm/setup, whatever I decide on. If you don't agree with my carry style, message me and we can talk about it, but that kind of stuff isn't for this thread.
Old February 27, 2014, 12:06 AM   #53
zombietactics

Quote:
I will put in multiple hours a week training with my firearm/setup, whatever I decide on.
There is the key.
Old February 27, 2014, 12:21 AM   #54
Johannes_Paulsen

@DaftHazard - I think you have the exact right attitude, just don't be afraid to re-evaluate your equipment after you've had a chance to work and train with it.

The pocket .380 in hand is better than the .44 Magnum left at home, and while they're easy to carry, there are always better options for fighting. Worst case is that you have to trade it in or sell it if you find it doesn't work for you. (And if you're in a 'free' state, finding someone willing to buy it will not be a problem.)
Old February 27, 2014, 12:28 AM   #55
Water-Man

My youngest son is 6'1" and weighs 175lbs.

He's carrying a Shield 9mm in a Raven Concealment Phantom holster that has the attachments to permit wearing it IWB & OWB.
Old March 1, 2014, 07:28 PM   #56
Brian48

I carry a SW M60 jframe whenever I wear just a T-shirt and shorts during the summer. I use a IWB holster.

I generally never wear just a plain white t-shirt when I wear shorts, however if I do, the jframe is small enough for me to simply tuck in my pocket.
Old March 4, 2014, 02:53 PM   #57
Derbel McDillet

When I moved from Seattle to Florida a few years ago I discovered my Glock 19 was too heavy and bulky to CCW when wearing lightweight summer clothing. After some research I chose a Kahr PM-9. One reason I chose it was because it had the same manual-of-arms as my Glock 19 so all my training and manipulations smoothly carried over to the Kahr. I ordered a Milt Sparks leather Executive's Companion IWB holster for the PM-9 (which is the same holster I use for the Glock 19).

I usually wore a muscle t-shirt and a lightweight short sleeve button-up shirt, completely unbuttoned, as a concealment garment. On breezy days I'd have to button the bottom button to keep the shirt from blowing up and revealing my pistol. The Kahr, Milt Spark's holster, and my manner of dress all worked very well for me during the 6 1/2 years I lived in central Florida.

I also carried a Seecamp .32 ACP pistol in one of my pockets, in a leather pocket holster from Ryan Grizzle Leather. I chose this pistol specifically for it's size and weight. (I hate carrying things in my front pants/shorts pockets, especially on summer days when I'm all hot & sticky with sweat.) In addition the smaller size allowed me to be much more responsive in being able to quickly draw my pistol from my pocket when I had sweaty hands. This was my "out the door to run a quick errand" pistol for those times when I didn't want to stop and jock up with the IWB holster for the PM-9.

(I've since returned to the Seattle area and I'm back to carrying my trusty Glock 19 most of the time.)

Good luck to you!
Old March 6, 2014, 12:56 PM   #58
Glenn E. Meyer

Quote:
I am not willing to change my wardrobe to fit around a firearm.
Such a blanket statement is silly. But whatever. If you go pocket gun, a J frame works well in shorts of light weight cargo pants. I have little sympathy for fashionista proclamations of needing tight fitting jeans.

BTW, SWAT just had a great article on comparing a G19 vs an LCP and J frame.

Living in heat, I find that an OWB covered by a big old floppy light weight shirt and a t-shirt underneath works fine. But I'm not making a statement.
Old March 6, 2014, 04:07 PM   #59
Dennis6474

DaftHazard

Some good info here and a lot of great ideas. Some may fit you and others not so much but all are valid.

I can tell you my reasons for what I use.
1. Paddle holster over IWB. I don't like the way pants fit that are an inch or two bigger in the waist. Here in the south I want to keep the gun away from my sweaty body as possible won't rust as much, even SS.(the sp101 won't rust) I can remove the holster quickly without loosening my belt which I am sure would result in a lot of unneeded attention when the pants hit the ground. I like carrying on the hip. Have tried Thunderware, Belly band (too hot), Smart carry (can't get to gun when sitting) ect .

2. Revolver instead of SA. I reload most everything I shoot and I just can't crawl around on the ground picking up brass anymore (too old or got smart...haven't decided which). I shoot a lot more if my brass is all in a can on the tailgate when I am done shooting. I don't need 10 rounds and 2 mags because the chances of me needing to stop that many people is slim. If I practice a lot I can make the shots count.

3. I carry a .357 because it will do everything I need it to do and does it louder. I want everyone to know when I pull the trigger that I mean business and maybe I won't need that second shot.

Bottom line is that you have to try everything for a while and you decide what is better for you. Just remember the goal is to practice as much as possible with what ever you choose.
Old March 6, 2014, 04:36 PM   #60
WESHOOT2

Paddle holsters may come out with gun still in place. Casual use only.

Wearing a gun is not casual.
Old March 6, 2014, 05:46 PM   #61
Sharkbite

^^^^THIS^^^^^

Really?? Did we just go down the road "if my gun is loud it will scare people???"
Old March 7, 2014, 11:24 AM   #62
bikerbill

I've been using paddle holsters for years ... I have never had one come out when drawing, and I've never heard of it happening. Both the paddles I use fit so securely that I have to undo my belt and fly button to get them out ... another great thing about paddles is that you can get them exactly where you want them on your waist. I'm a fan ...
Old March 8, 2014, 09:21 AM   #63
Dennis6474

In looking back at my post it does seem kind of dumb about a loud gun but in my defense............

I happened to be at a 7-11 many years ago when a couple of BG came in. One had a .22 and the other a 1911.The .22 guy fired a couple of shots at the wall behind the clerk. The clerk reached under the counter and no one else moved. The guy with the .45 fired one shot and the clerk dove behind the counter and everyone in the place took cover. They cleaned out the cash register and left. loud is not a bad thing.

As far as paddle holsters go, I practice 150 to 200 rounds most weeks and have for twenty years. Never had a paddle that came off the belt with the gun. There is always the first time I guess.
Old March 8, 2014, 03:04 PM   #64
WESHOOT2

Practice ain't panic
Old March 17, 2014, 08:22 PM   #65
DAdams

Seecamp .380 in a pocket holster.

Edmar Mednis

Tags
carry method , clothing , concealed carry , handgun