The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old September 6, 2015, 05:36 PM   #26
Kephas78

I love my 15rd .410 Saiga shotgun. I bought mine for about $400 and put about $300 into to customize it how I wanted it. I did a pistol grip conversion, installed a modified tapco g2 fire control group which was polished and reshaped, bolt polished and reshaped, upgraded guide rod, gas puck and 6 position gas knob.

Prices have gone up since the import ban, but you can still get either 12 gauge or .410 New in box for around 600. You can do all the customizing I did for around $300-$400 so long as you have basic mechanical skills.
Old September 7, 2015, 05:57 PM   #27
Dragline45

Quote:
Neither one releases the next shell on the trigger pull. When you go past 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine, that leads to feed bobbles. You can modify them to work, but it takes some effort and there are better choices.
I don't know about that, there are countless videos on youtube of people doing 8rd mag dumps with both in rapid fire without a hitch.
Old September 8, 2015, 02:28 AM   #28
Dragline45

Quote:
By that I mean it doesn't really matter what shotgun you choose, as long as it works and you know how to work it, especially under the circumstances you have mentioned.
They all have their little quirks and advantages.
Like the old adage sez, "Be familiar with your equipment."
I totally get that, but the reason I specifically said best semi auto defensive shotgun, is because there are ton's of bird guns out there that aren't best suited for defensive purposes. The gas ports on defensive semi auto shotguns are different than those primarily for shooting trap or birds.
Old September 9, 2015, 10:26 PM   #29
Skeets
Member in memoriam

I feel the Rem870 is a very proven weapon in any platform.
Old September 9, 2015, 11:46 PM   #30
Dragline45

Quote:
I feel the Rem870 is a very proven weapon in any platform.
Already have a Mossberg 500 which I prefer over the 870 for a pump gun. It's the 18.5 version and with a 12" LOP stock it's under 36". So that covers me for a small, handy, light shotgun that's still usable unlike a pistol grip. Looking for a higher capacity full size semi-auto to cover the other end of the spectrum.
Old September 12, 2015, 09:45 PM   #31
Stevie-Ray

Well, if you want to keep it in the Mossberg family, have a look at the 930 SPX. I bought one specifically for HD and love it. I was told it doesn't like light loads, so I bought ten or so different loads for it when I was vetting it, from light target to 00 buck. It ate and spat out everything with equal aplomb. It's also the softest shooting 12 gauge I've ever fired, making it fun to take to a range, and also nice to know if you keep it stoked with 00 buck, which I do, as #1 buck is near impossible to find around here. Just a thought. Mine needed a stock adjustment to make it mine.
Old September 15, 2015, 05:07 PM   #32
MarkCO

Quote:
Neither one releases the next shell on the trigger pull. When you go past 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine, that leads to feed bobbles.
Sorry for the delay, was running and shooting matches.

THE reason that the M2, VM, M3000, Vinci, A5 and 1301 are the only guns chosen for use by the top level 3Gunners is for this very reason. Auto-loading shotguns are designed for 2 or 3 rounds in the magazine tube and a certain level of force to eject the shell. The Remington 11xx series actually has stamped metal parts in the trigger group that NEED the shell to strike them with enough force to trip the release. They do in fact lock open on every shot fired. So you need more magazine tube pressure which results in more force on the stamped metal parts which is why they fail sooner than others. If the spring uses the "stock" design pressure, you get shell surge and the accompanying FTF.

With a longer magazine tube, more force and more mass, the shotguns that release the shell on the trigger pull do not have this problem, that is why they are more reliable and also why they last longer.
Old October 10, 2015, 02:48 AM   #33
kcub

The only autos I would trust my life with are the Benellis and AK like Saiga.

Reliability is the reason. I've seen way too many 1100s jam as a duck hunting guide.
Old October 12, 2015, 07:43 AM   #34
mxsailor803

I really like 1100's. I've shot many of them and had them jam as well. They do require a little maintenance and care but I still trust mine. As for the O-ring issues, I replace mine yearly just because I carry mine through the swamps/fields of SC from Aug-Jan during deer season. My sythetic stock shotgun (mid 90's version, my 70's wood stock is too nice for me to be mean to it) has been dropped, knocked over, and who knows what else and it has only failed me once. That was my fault it failed cause it got knocked over while leaning against my truck in a freshly plowed field. I could've planted patatoes in that thing lol. All semi shotguns can jam no matter what brand they are. All of them require some form of maintenance. It is just that simple.
Old November 24, 2015, 02:06 AM   #35
Fivesense

Perhaps a little late to the party, but I'd be grateful for opinions:

Comparing a Remington 870 HD pump to a Moss 930 SPX- which one wins on reliability? This is strictly a home defense application.

I ask because I have an 870 with extension and side-saddle but I think I would prefer a softer shooting auto loader at this point. I know my 870 works; would the the SPX be a worthwhile upgrade?
Old November 24, 2015, 02:45 PM   #36
Stevie-Ray

Couldn't tell you, can go only by my own, as it has never failed with any type of round. I do keep it loaded with 00 buck though, and nobody seems to argue that it cycles these fine-it's the lighter target and low-brass crap that it doesn't like, though mine seems to have nary an issue with those either. The times I've had it at the range have all been fun, something I can't usually say about a shotgun. I know that if I wanted a pump gun, I'd probably want what you have.
Old January 2, 2016, 09:41 PM   #37
123kiwi

I had a Winchester NRA model 1300 Defender in the rack for years, never had to use in anger but have recently swapped it out for a 2nd hand Beretta 1201FP which I would most definitely trust 100%
I had it out for our Xmas Clay Bird Flurry last month and it was flawless with around 450 rounds through it in a few hours, they were light target loads too so would imagnie it would also be more than 100% reliable with stouter buckshot and slug rounds etc...
Kicks like a mule though
Old January 3, 2016, 02:18 PM   #38
FITASC

Quote:
They do in fact lock open on every shot fired.
Not if there is another round in the magazine they do not (1100s)
They are starting the process of loading the next round in the chamber as the trigger is pulled (gas guns do that)

The shell does not hit anything in the trigger group
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 4, 2016, 09:05 AM   #39
MrWesson

I don't own one and not sure how well it would work but will through out a vote for the Versa Max.

My FIL has one and its such a sweet shooting shotgun and after putting tons of lead down range has never jammed up.

Personally I'd just buy a pump for HD but if I already had a Versa Max I wouldn't flinch keeping it bedside.