The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old January 12, 2009, 07:07 PM   #1
shotgun2009

Help me identify this shotgun, me too :)

Ok one of my relatives has been gifted this old double barrel 12 gauge hunting shotgun from some other relatives:
KRUPP_FLUSS.JPG
On the top of the barrels you can read these words "KRUPP ESSEN"

I found this picture I attached on some other site on the internet but the only new information i could get from that site was:

FLUSS STAHL
KRUPP ESSEN
gauge 12
71***/*

So well i tryed to look for other infos, like history, date of manifacturing or possible value of this weapon but had no luck so far. I found another thread with a similar shotgun on this forum so I thought this could be the right place where to ask for some help.
So well yea I would really appreciate if you could help me, and if the picture I attached is not enough I can provide with as many pictures as needed.
Thank you in advance for your help
Old January 12, 2009, 07:59 PM   #2
Jim Watson

FLUSS STAHL = Fluid steel, i.e., not Damascus or other twist.
KRUPP ESSEN = Major big German steel company. They surely made the steel, they may have made the barrels, but did not likely build the gun.

If you cannot find a maker's name on it, it is probably a Guild Gun made by independent craftsmen working on different pieces and parts for final assembly and sale.

Take the barrels off the action and look at the proof marks on the bottom of the barrels and the action flats. They will give a rough date and might have the maker's or distributor's name. I have a hammerless double with "Verney Carron", a well known French gunmaker still in business in tiny print on the bottom of one barrel. No other sign of origin except French proof marks.
Old February 25, 2010, 12:57 AM   #3
shotgun2009

bump... yes.. but.. value?

Yes i know this thread is old... but I still don't have a possible answer for this question: how much this gun would aproximately be worth, speaking in money terms?

Thanks, very much
a.
Old February 25, 2010, 08:29 AM   #4
mapsjanhere

You really need to provide better pictures, and especially the picture of the proof marks to judge the gun. It can be a wall hanger in an obsolete cartridge like the 16/65 or a high class gun made retro style for a modern 12/70. Depending on that the value can go from $200 to $2000 if made by a well known maker.
Old February 25, 2010, 05:36 PM   #5
PetahW

FWIW - If that hammer gun was mine, I wouldn't part with it at all, and certainly not for less than $1K (since hammer guns are "hot" right now).

Old February 25, 2010, 08:49 PM   #6
Hawg

Just because it has hammers doesn't make it worth a lot. The last hammered SXS I bought I picked up for less than a hundred.

Tags
12 gauge , double barrel , hunting , krupp essen , shotgun