The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old January 3, 2009, 12:10 PM   #51
SmokeyVol

.22 LR with any of the following that I own:
S&W 617, 10 shot 4" barrel
Ruger Mark II bull barrel stainless
Ruger Single Six stainless
Old January 3, 2009, 01:56 PM   #52
Delaware_Dan

7.62x39
Old January 3, 2009, 02:09 PM   #53
Yellowfin

Favorite range toys for me right now are my Astra carry gun and Marlin 60, but one I love to shoot and am itching to buy is the CZ 52.
Old January 4, 2009, 12:57 PM   #54
Russ5924

Have to go with 38/357
Old January 4, 2009, 02:58 PM   #55
Sevens

Favorite "fun gun." Fun thing about answering these fun threads is that you can make whatever you want of it. All of my shooters are fun... my 10-inch barreled T/C Contender in .44 Mag with heavy handloads is probably the least fun, because it's horribly light and recoil is just plain not enjoyable with it.

But for this thread, I'll define a "fun gun" as one that really just don't fit any other role, or it doesn't fit them well at all. But it has FUN nailed.

I've got a perfect gun in a perfect caliber for that role -- all fun, and no real purpose: Ruger Blackhawk, caliber .30 M1 Carbine.

It's got the only barrel length they've ever offered in this caliber, 7.5 inches, to get something closer to a full burn out of a made-for-rifle caliber.

With a 7.5 inch barrel, a huge & heavy revolver with extra metal to spare at every corner, throwing 110 grain pills and running 40,000 psi, this SOB does everything in the world you want that defines "fun."

It's loud as all hell. Maybe that's not really fun, but it turns heads. Ask around this forum for folks that have shot one, everyone says, "loudest damn handgun I ever heard." The muzzle blast, flash & fireball is the textbook definition of fun. That nuclear fireball turns heads at the range, too. People want to know what on earth is dropping these bombs. Recoil-- it's almost not there. Take a big, heavy hunk of metal and send light baby bullets out of it and recoil fails to show up. It's hilarious.

And it's accurate. The bullets are cruising pretty quickly, so it shoots flat and still hits at ranges where big bore rounds fall in to the dirt from handguns.

What's not fun about it? Well, there's some things... Reloading for it is not as fun as other calibers because you have to be completely on top of measuring and trimming for case length. Too long and they won't chamber. Too short and you won't get proper primer strikes. Also, hot ammo tends to make the cases stick in the chambers horribly.

Because it's so large, it's almost unwieldy. Barrel is long, gun is heavy. It's not a good caliber for anything other than plinking, pretty much.

Also, this isn't a finely blued handgun. It's a brand new Ruger, so there's no beautiful deep bluing. It's more like black, and lots of it. I think some mother of pearl (or fake pearl) grips would look better than the black plastic original grips.

You want a heap of fun, making people ask questions, and turn their head to see what you are shooting? This one will do that. But beyond fun, it doesn't do a lot.
Old January 4, 2009, 03:13 PM   #56
GUNZABLAZIN

Just fun blazin away ammo, would have to be my fun bunch!!!

Top gun is a M-12 .380 Cobray
Center gun is a M-11 .9mm Cobray
Bottom gun is a Intertec Tec-.22

Old January 4, 2009, 03:22 PM   #57
GUNZABLAZIN

QUOTED FROM Sevens: I've got a perfect gun in a perfect caliber for that role -- all fun, and no real purpose: Ruger Blackhawk, caliber .30 M1 Carbine.

I have a .30 Carbine Ruger too, THAT IS A FUN GUN!!!! Next gunshow you go to try to buy some .30 carbine tracers,light up the night sky!!!!
Old January 4, 2009, 07:57 PM   #58
T.Bear

My fun caliber is the .22LR as you can shoot all day for less than $50.00.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:16 PM   #59
Stevie-Ray

.22 LR by far! I've got 6 of them and that's twice as many as my next most prolific caliber. You can't have more fun than blasting away all day for the cost of a single box of centerfire.
Old January 4, 2009, 08:28 PM   #60
DiscoRacing

.308, 30.06, 7mm and .270.... love em all and shoot all them all the time
Old January 5, 2009, 09:08 AM   #61
Scorp341

Have many but carry one of two

I either carry my Glock .357 SIG or My Colt 45 Commander.

Either one will do what I need it to do.
Old January 5, 2009, 09:51 AM   #62
Chuckusaret

QUOTE:I've got a perfect gun in a perfect caliber for that role -- all fun, and no real purpose: Ruger Blackhawk, caliber .30 M1 Carbine.

I carried the Blackhawk my last tour in Vietnam, had all the ammo in the world for it, and free. It drew a lot of stares in a western belt and holster. When I rotated I gave it to my buddy and have never seen him since. Saw one at a recent gun show but at an outrageous price, had to pass on it.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:04 PM   #63
flight954

My Hk P2000 in .357sig w/ a .40cal barrel.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:38 PM   #64
GaryD

Fun gun. 22LR in a Browning semi-auto. Can use golf balls as targets at 30-50 feet or shoot snakes in the head. I can go down to a local creek bridge and find those little red and white plastic fishing bobbers snagged in trees and use them for targets, when the turtles and snakes aren't swimming.

The 22 mag would be second; I have a Heritage SA revolver with a 6.5" barrel that shoots this round; it will tear up a big cottonmouth.

In a rifle, the 223 is a major hoot in an "assault" type rifle, or even a Mini-14.
Old January 5, 2009, 03:45 PM   #65
chrisman

new editions of sigma/9mm

The S&W Sigma 9mm (the new version, SW9VE). It is a cheap gun. It is cheap ammo. It is comfortable to shoot. And fun as all get out! I tend to baby my other guns a bit, but this gun has never ever malf. on me. So, I use it for fun at the range. Smith has a lifetime warranty too, so no worries. I have other guns that I appreciate more, are more beautiful, more expensive, but this one is great for a nice relaxing time at the range, pumpin lead towards the other end...