The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 9, 2000, 07:25 PM   #1
SW 586

Greetings to all. My first post.
Was curious what methods other shooters use to aid in containing and retrieving spent brass when ejected from semi-autos. It's very hard to find among the leaves, grass, and other old and squashed cases at the range where I shoot. Any ideas appreciated.
Old March 9, 2000, 07:53 PM   #2
WalterGAII

I use a brass catcher on my AR. Fortunately, shoot over concrete at the range.
Old March 9, 2000, 08:45 PM   #3
Bill in NM

For pistols, the only thing that I've found that even half way works is to steal one of the sheets out of the cabinet, and lay it out where spent rounds will land. Even then, I still have to search around the edges.
Good luck,
Bill
Old March 9, 2000, 10:13 PM   #4
Grayfox

Anytime I make it home with most of my brass is a good day. Lucky for me my local range has concrete and gravel.
But, the great thing about semi-autos is you get to double the fun. First the pleasure of shooting and then the thrill of the hunt!

------------------
Politically, Fashionably and Aerodynamically Incorrect!
Old March 10, 2000, 06:52 AM   #5
Citizen X

I'm a furniture removalist, so from work I've got hessian sheets (7'x4') that we lay out on the concrete at the 25m line (folded in half in the individual pistol booths), or opened out fully right across the line on the gravel when we're out in the open at the gun club. If you are going to use sheets from home and out in the open, take a few and spread them out fully, weigh the corners down (against lifting by breezes or the wind), take a few practice shots at the target, watching the cases eject onto the sheets and adjust your position on the sheets until you have the cases landing squarely on the sheets. You'll be going home with more empty cases than not at every position / line that you shoot from.
Don't be disappointed if you can't find 1 or 2 cases. Work your way around the sheet edges as sometimes the empties land awkwardly and roll away, but they won't be too far from the sheet edges or just underneath.
Fold your sheets up, and take them home until next time. I leave the hessian at the club for the next guy(s) to use. They don't go missing, but your sheets will.