The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 12, 2016, 11:28 AM   #1
Lavan

Should muzzle brake guns have a different location

at shooting ranges?

I have compromised hearing from muzzle blast way back in 1959 when ear protection wasn't as widespread as it is now.

I now use plugs and muffs together and STILL the big guns with brakes create actual pain.

I hate to suggest categorizing any guns at a shooting range, but in this instance I would like to see the MONSTER blasters directed to at least an end position at most ranges.

I no longer use ANY indoor range. The Casull Mags are too loud indoors ANYWHERE that ...I... have been.

I can't remember where it was but I vaguely remember a place where the guns were shot through large sewer pipe and it was OK there.

NOW I use an outdoor range and even with muffs and plugs, the RO can't converse when the biggies are firing.

Might be a sissy. I dunno. But I sure hate ear pain.

Old January 12, 2016, 12:40 PM   #2
zukiphile

I sympathize. I thought about using a brake on one of my rifles, then thought that I shouldn't inflict it on someone next to me just because I don't know him.

I wouldn't mind a subclass of ranges limited to 22LR and suppressed centerfire.

Last edited by zukiphile; January 12, 2016 at 01:04 PM.
Old January 12, 2016, 12:51 PM   #3
FITASC

I feel (and experience) your pain. Sitting at the very end of the covered shooting benches outside (36 of them). I am the only one there. After half an hour, another guy shows up and parks himself right next to me - and pulls out a 338 with a brake. The concussion alone made me get up and move rearward until he was done firing. A real inconsiderate you-know-what.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 12, 2016, 01:10 PM   #4
g.willikers

When someone like that shows up, it's time for a lunch break.
Old January 12, 2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Rancid

Pipe is the easiest and simplest solution. A few at one end and restrict the big boomers to them...first come, first served. As a boomer shooter, I try to be considerate and tell everyone what my intentions are. Or at least yell out "fire in the hole" before pulling the trigger.
Old January 12, 2016, 07:54 PM   #6
FITASC

There's "Fire in the Hole", and a nuke going off next to you.............
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old January 12, 2016, 08:15 PM   #7
amd6547

I was shooting a nice, peaceful M1carbine at my rifle club one day, when an older gentleman (I'm 58) set up next to me at the deserted line.
When he started shooting a bare muzzle 16" .50 Beowulf AR, I could feel the concussion on my cheek.
So I switched to the Saiga 5.45 with the genuine AK74 brake, which really blasts out to the side...

It was ok, though. I don't go to the range for peace and quiet.
Old January 12, 2016, 08:36 PM   #8
rickyrick

I will probably switch to linear compensators on my .223 rifles. They accomplish the task and are easier for everyone involved. I don't know what to do about big guns tho.
Old January 12, 2016, 10:31 PM   #9
Mike38

I have a 7mmSTW with a brake. I have been told by by-standers that it is brutal. When I take it to the range, I always pick a far end bench, and even then hopefully there's a few empty spaces to the next guy. Common courtesy I guess. I learned this one day at a 50 yard range where 5 or 6 guys and myself were shooting .22s. Some guy with a belted magnum with a brake set up right next to me and cut loose. I came very close to saying something to him, but he only shot enough to get a rough zero on his scope then moved over to the 100 yard range.
Old January 13, 2016, 01:44 PM   #10
Road_Clam

I shoot a 300 win mag with a brake. i do have some respect for those shooters whom dislike brakes. I always try to pick a lane away from other shooters if possible especially shooting under cover. When I shoot midrange at my club there's always a few big caliber brake shooters and our rso will set us several lanes apart from the 223 and 308 chicks, err I mean "shooters"
Old January 13, 2016, 01:58 PM   #11
98 220 swift

I had a post a while back about brakes and their need on some rifle(manly just for looks or tacticool) and some people being inconsiderate when using them. I got several people telling me I was a wuss I should expect ranges to be loud and get blast off of other peoples guns when I am at the range. It has gotten so bad at my local public range(only place I have to shoot have a public range about same distance but that is in Illinois and I don't like going into that state with guns) that I cant hardly shoot 22s at 50 yards anymore. Every time I try to make a great dime sized group I get blasted by somewith with a brake on their AR.( don't know why but the 50yard range is usually full of the AR tactical guys). Don't get me wrong I like ARs but I think people buy the brakes for looks and noise.

Don't get me wrong some rifles make good use of them.(large magnums). And it seems like the mag guys are more considerate for the most part.

But then again I shoot my 45-70 guide gun without a brake with some pretty stout loads.
Old January 13, 2016, 06:36 PM   #12
Road_Clam

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 220 swift
But then again I shoot my 45-70 guide gun without a brake with some pretty stout loads.
reasonable statement shooting say 5-10 rounds , but when I shoot 600 yds with my braked .300WM at my club the relay time allotment allows me to send down about 30 rounds in about 40 min... you will go home with a dislocated shoulder shooting that many 45-70 full bang loads , I go home just needing some Advil..
Old January 13, 2016, 06:45 PM   #13
P5 Guy

Well now, I was shooting my Garand when a gentleman with one of those leadsled benchrest rifles sat down a bench or three down the line.
I shot a string and got the ping when that gentleman asked what round I was shooting 300Magnum? "Dang that thing is loud" he exclaimed. "Must be 'cause of that short barrel"
All in a days shooting.
Old January 13, 2016, 07:21 PM   #14
Road_Clam

I have a CMP Garand, and I actually don't think it's that loud, no doubt she packs a big bang, but I also have a M1A and shooting that stick underneath cover produces a BOOM ! (and a really cool flash show in low light)
Old January 13, 2016, 07:37 PM   #15
johnwilliamson062

Something must be done. For the children if for no other reason!

I don't mind too much at an outdoor range, but I really wish the indoor ranges would limit cartridges or something.
Old January 14, 2016, 12:39 PM   #16
P5 Guy

Road_Clam, I never thought any .30'06 was all that loud either. It just goes to show perception of loudness differs from person to person.
Now those short barrel ARs are nasty loud. (to me).
Old January 14, 2016, 03:41 PM   #17
FrankenMauser

Concussion is one thing, and really can't be avoided - even with many firearms that don't have brakes.

But if you're still experiencing debilitating pain with double hearing protection in place, I think you need to reassess the situation.
Either you're in the wrong place (a place where lots of things make big booms), your hearing protection is inadequate or improperly fitted, or you may have an anatomical defect (such as Eustachian tubes that don't close properly).

I do understand the plight. There are certain frequencies (one of them within the range of the human voice ) that cause physical pain for me.
And, I also have ear canals that don't play nicely with 99% of ear plugs on the market. I have found only ONE brand and type of disposable ear plug that works for me, and no off-the-shelf reusable ear plug works. Otherwise, I have to use custom ear plugs, or stick with single-protection in the form of decent ear muffs.

But it isn't any other shooter's fault that I have weird ear canals. It's my problem, and I deal with it. It means that some shooting situations can be rather uncomfortable, but I usually know that going in.
Old January 14, 2016, 05:25 PM   #18
Road_Clam

When I shoot braked, or shoot my M1A, or my S&W 460 mag, I wear both foam insert ear plugs and electronic muffs. You really need extra hearing protection when shooting the big stuff. I remember all too well doing a target change and forgetting to put my muffs on and sent a 300 win mag round shooting under an aluminum canopy !! , OMG my ears rang for the next two days (and I did have my foam plugs in )