The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old June 2, 2013, 04:23 PM   #1
Metal god

Case length for AR

I'm getting ready to start reloading for my AR .I've never reloaded before so this is all new to me . Still waiting on back ordered bullets and powder . I have a couple thousand rounds of brass and started cleaning , sizing and swaging the primer pockets .

I have read and or was told that if I'm going to crimp I will want all my cases to be the same length . I believe this is so each crimp will be consistent to the next . I bought the lee manual case cutting tool for 223 . It cuts them very well and very consistent . the problem if there is one is it cuts them to 1.745 and my reloading book says cut the case to 1.750 . Is the cutter cutting the cases to small or will that length be fine . I have about 500 cases cleaned and sized . I stopped at 500 cus I'm not even sure if all of those are done correctly . I did the work per the instructions I'm assuming there fine . Just don't want to ruin all 2k all at once before I even reload one .

Anyways I started cutting them to length and stopped at about 20 cus they all are .005 less the what the Hornady book recommends . Is the 1.750 just a recommendation or is it the minimum length I should go .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .

Last edited by Metal god; June 2, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
Old June 2, 2013, 05:35 PM   #2
Ifishsum

.005 shorter is no problem, load them up and shoot them. I once accidentally trimmed a batch more than .010 short myself, still worked fine. Good thing is that it should be that much longer before you have to trim them again
Old June 3, 2013, 05:32 AM   #3
trobin

I wouldn't even crimp the rounds if you have good neck tension.
Old June 3, 2013, 07:06 AM   #4
Mohave-Tec

Chamfer and deburr to take the edge off the case mouth. The case will likely be 'book' length after you fire it again.
Old June 4, 2013, 05:39 AM   #5
trobin

I double checked my cases I have prepped and ready to load. They are at 1.733-1.739. They all hold primers, powder, and projectiles.