The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 14, 2009, 10:39 AM   #1
LongRangeNoob

.223 load question

I've worked up a load for my AR Carbine using h335. The charge I settled on for speed and accuracy is 25.1 gr topped with a 55 gr fmj projectile, cci #41 primer. This gets me about 2800 fps and good enough accuracy. My question is, th primers are flattening out pretty much but in all the manuals I've checked, I'm loading below the max charge. I've read that flattened primers are not the best way to check for pressure and was wondering what you guys think. I don't see any sooty gas residue around the primer pocket, no wierd bulges in the cases. Any insight is much appreciated. I've shot about 400 rds charged this way without a hitch but ran across a thread about flattened primers and pressure signs that caused some concern.
Old May 14, 2009, 07:52 PM   #2
nbkky71

I ran the specs you listed through Quckload and it shows 52,000 psi chamber pressure and around 2950 fps velocity (assuming a 16.25" barrel for a carbine).

As you said, flattened primers isn't always a sign of pressure. But if you're seeing other signs such as cratering around the firing pin mark and/or ejector marks on the base, then start to worry.

I think your load data sounds fine.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:05 PM   #3
D1lazarus

I don't think that load should cause any problems either. I am running 50gr v-max in front of 25gr of H335 and have no problems. My uncle has been known to run 25.5 gr H335 for 55gr v-max and he doesn't have any problems either. I have the 1:9 18 bull barrel and he has both a 24" bull and a 16" carbine.
Old May 14, 2009, 09:57 PM   #4
amamnn

Flattened primers are not a good way to check for overpressure in ARs or any gas gun. They're too common a result of normal functioning.
Old May 15, 2009, 01:45 AM   #5
Shoney

You didn't list the case you were using.

If they are military spec cases, they have thicker brass and therefore less case capacity, and that can up the pressure quite a bit with a load listed as just under max.

Hodgdon lists that they use Win primers and Win brass to get the 25.3 max. Winchester cases generally have the largest case capacity of the brasses. You are most certainly going to get a slight increase in pressure by going to Rem brass, and up a lot using military brass. You need to pay attention to small details.
I pledge allegiance to the Flag - - -, and to the Republic for which it stands….Our Forefathers were brilliant for giving us a Republic, not a democracy! Do you know the difference??? and WHY?http://www.wallbuilders.com/LIBissue...les.asp?id=111
Old May 15, 2009, 05:49 PM   #6
cornbush

If I didn't see any other pressure signs I would keep shootin it if it works good.
Old May 16, 2009, 09:09 PM   #7
FM12

H335 is an excellent .223 powder. I ve shot 5 shot groups in the .25" size in a HB Remmy 700 using 335. It is a little temperature sensastive to hot weather, though.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:10 AM   #8
QBall45

Your laod is just about the standard load that most guys are using if they use H335 with a 55gr FMJ. Its what I use with really good results. I worked my l;oad up and down and that is where I settled also. I settled on this load before I realized that this is what most people have found to work for them. I did a bunch of reading here on the Firing Line and other sites and found this to be the accepted standard load. Load 'em up and go to the range.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:03 PM   #9
LongRangeNoob

thanks for the input guys. I figured I would be safe since I always follow printed material, but knowing that other people are using the same or similar load is reassuring.