The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old September 27, 2005, 04:18 PM   #1
kingudaroad

new to rifle reload question

Just loaded my first rifle reloads for .270 win. using win unfired brass and nosler 130 gr ballistic tips.Everything went smooth and easy except for a couple of the bullets seemed to slide into the case too easily.They went about .250 into the case with just my fingers and then there was very little resistance in the press to get them to oal. Since these bullets have no cannelure am I right in assuming they need no crimp? If I switch to a bullet with a cannalure is a crimp neccesary in the 270? Btw my rifle is a bolt action remingtom 700. Thanks in advance.
Old September 27, 2005, 04:38 PM   #2
MrGee

yes they need to be crimped... the recoil alone will jar the bullet heads into movement , you mite want to take one of those very loose bullet out of the case an dump the powder , back off the bullet setting part of the die an then run that empty case up into the die an bringing it down till you get a desired crimp, once you have that, you can reset your bullet depth from another shell an then run your pre loaded shells back throw i'm sure there will be more info after this to come...
Old September 27, 2005, 04:46 PM   #3
30Cal

Sounds like the expander ball on your sizing die is too large. Lee dies? Case neck tension should be more than adequate enough to hold the bullets in place under recoil. You shouldn't be able to get the bullet even started into the case neck.

Ty
Old September 27, 2005, 05:19 PM   #4
kingudaroad

It was 2 out of 20 that were loose. Redding dies. Maybe it was something I did inconsistently in the fl sizing process.
Old September 27, 2005, 06:29 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I disagree with MrGee, you cannot crimp a loose bullet tight.
You should not need to crimp ammunition for a bolt action rifle unless for dangerous game. Your sizing die is not taking the necks down small enough or your expander is too big. Maybe the components are odd, thin brass or undersize bullets. But a big expander is the most common cause. I bet Redding will help you troubleshoot, they are a reputable company. I just started using their dies for .223 target ammo and they are fine quality.
Old September 27, 2005, 08:20 PM   #6
LHB1

Kudr,
Suggestion for identifying source of reloading problem described:
Use good micrometer (dial or thimble) to measure:
1. Outside Case Neck diameter
a. BEFORE sizing
b. AFTER sizing and BEFORE expanding
c. AFTER expanding
d. AFTER seating bullet
2. Bullet diameter
3. Neck expander ball diameter

IF you can measure thickness of neck brass then double this thickness and subtract from case neck diameter above, thus yielding inside case neck diameter in each step. I think the problem and solution will be evident with these dimensions. If not, Redding should be able to use them to identify the problem.

Typically, the INSIDE case neck diameter BEFORE seating bullet should be about .003-.005 smaller than the bullet diameter to properly grip the bullet after seating. For my benchrest type dies in .222 and .25/06, I ordered sizing inserts to give a difference of .003. For purely hunting rifle use, .004-.005 might be better and give more grip on the bullet by case neck.

Good shooting and be safe.
LB

ps: If the problem ONLY occurred in 2 of 20 cases, the problem may have been your technique instead of die dimensions.
Old September 27, 2005, 09:50 PM   #7
Dave R

Only 2 out of 20 were loose? That's weird. The die should make these things very consistent. Any chance the offending cases weren't fully resized?

And I agree that you shouldn't use crimp to do what neck tension is supposed to do. Try re-adjusting the die. If that doesn't fix it, LHB1's diagnostics are right on.