The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old October 27, 2009, 09:21 AM   #1
Fer

Reviews on Magtech Ammo pls

Until recently was forced to buy ammo from Aguila, Armscor and S&B. S&B was my prefered choice, but for some reason I was not able to find HP ammo from this manufacturer. But the good news is that there is now magtech ammo available I saw HP's in .380 and I want to buy the same in .38spl specially in +P.
I do not know much about Magtech except that they manufacture magazines for semiautos, never heared they made ammo. Please if you have any good or bad reviews on this ammo let me know.

Regards,
Old October 27, 2009, 09:51 AM   #2
Casimer

MagTech is good ammo. I've used their 158gr SWC in 38spl, and their 45 ACP SWC and FMJ ammunition - never any quality issues, relatively clean w/ good accuracy. And they use good components.

They're a long standing Brazilian ammo manufacturer, established back in the 20's.

here's their site..
http://www.magtechammunition.com/defaultHTM.php
Old October 27, 2009, 10:06 AM   #3
DennisD

I think I've had a few more issues (all minor) with Winchester Target ammo than with Magtech. I reload Magtech cases and Winchester (and a couple of others). Can't tell any quality difference in the cases between Magtech and Winchester. Wouldn't hesitate to use it if I bought factory loaded again. Magtech's powder might be a little sootier but that isn't a real issue to me.

NRA Life
Old October 27, 2009, 10:19 AM   #4
wnycollector

My only experience with magtech .38 ammo is with their 158gr SJHP standard pressue loading. I have an 1924 S&W M&P w/ 5" barrel and I was looking for a standard pressue HP loading to shoot in it. Magtech claims 807fps...I chronoed it at ~700fps from the 5" barrel IIRC I decided that I would stick to the old standby Remington 158gr LSWCHP +P in my M&P.

I load my KT sub2000 .40 with their 155gr JHP. Magtech claims 1205 fps, out of the 16" barrel in cracks 1400fps. I just picked up 4 boxes of magtech +P+ 115gr 9mm for my S&W 910 and SIG P226. When I get a chance to chrono it I will post the results.

All in all, I think magtech makes decent quality ammo for the $$$. If you can find it, Fiocchi also makes very high quality, reasonably priced ammo.
Old October 27, 2009, 10:30 AM   #5
azredhawk44

Quote:
I do not know much about Magtech except that they manufacture magazines for semiautos, never heared they made ammo.
I think you're confusing "MagTech" with "MecGar."

MecGar makes magazines.

Magtech ammo is pretty decent stuff for inexpensive manufactured ammo, IMO. It became my retail .44 magnum load of choice due to cost and the feel of the recoil. I tailored a reload to feel as similar as possible and it is my favorite reload now. The brass gives good longevity and I've never had a squib or a bullet back out of the case under recoil from the factory loaded ammo.

I've used their 44magnum, 44special, 45acp, 9mm, 357 magnum and 38 special. In rifles, I have used their .308 winchester. Their .308 even had annealed case necks... something lacking on remington, federal and other non-NATO brass.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:26 AM   #6
golfnutrlv

I've run some of the Magtech FMJ .45 and Guardian Gold.45 through my 1911. It did not hiccup at all, and the hollow points were surprisingly accurate.

I give it a good review!
America is at an awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system, but too early to shoot the bastards.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:46 AM   #7
zombieslayer

I've had ner' a problem with any MagTech ammo in various calibers.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:59 AM   #8
glock199mm

i have shot it in a sig and a smith 625 it seems to be pretty good ammo
Old October 27, 2009, 12:06 PM   #9
44Magnum

I really enjoyed their 158 grain .357 Magnum load at the range before I started to load my own.
Old October 27, 2009, 12:25 PM   #10
Deegle

I won't use Magtec. I bought a large quantity of the stuff in 38 special. Every third round would not fire. Primers were hard. I know it wasn't my gun, as I could shoot other ammo fine; and my dad had the same problem with his gun and that ammo. I know it is probably decent ammo for the most part. Everyone else seems happy. But I'm done with Magtec.
Old October 27, 2009, 02:05 PM   #11
stevieboy

I've never had any problem with Magtech ammo and I enjoy shooting it. I've used their 158gr. TMJ "clean range" .38 specials as range ammo for years. It's ultra clean -- 50 rounds leaves barely a trace on my guns -- and extremely accurate. I've also used their 230gr FMJ .45 ACP as range ammo for my 1911 with excellent results. It's not sold as a "clean" or lead free ammunition and I find it to be no dirtier than any other brand that I've shot. It's extremely accurate and reliable. Last week I ordered some 158gr. JSP .357 magnums by Magtech and I'm interested in seeing how they shoot. I expect that the results will be very good based on my previous experiences with Magtech ammo.
Old October 27, 2009, 03:03 PM   #12
TMUSCLE1

Magtech ammo is great, cheap, factory loaded ammo. A little dirty, but that is to be expected from all cheap factory ammo. If you can find it cheap then buy it, you will be satisfied.
Old October 27, 2009, 04:46 PM   #13
9mmkungfu

I have used the Magtech in their .44mag soft nose loading. It worked great and had no issues. Like others have stated, a little dirty.
Old October 27, 2009, 05:42 PM   #14
orionengnr

Never tried their ammo, but I've used a couple thousand of their large pistol primers, without any issues.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:02 PM   #15
Hunley

Magtech is pretty good stuff. Their Guardian Gold and First Defense lines are both good self defense rounds.

IMO their range ammo is more accurate than Blazer Brass by CCI, Wolf, PMC Bronze, and Winchester. It's usually more consistent round for round. I've had fewer problems with it than ammo from Remington, Winchester, Cor-Bon, or Hornady (in semi-auto pistol ammo only... I know Hornady the holy of holies to some - myself included - when it comes to rifle and revolver ammo). It's also somewhat cleaner shooting than most.

My best advice would be to buy it and try it. You may end up getting hooked.
Old October 27, 2009, 11:36 PM   #16
Sulaco2

Had squib loads with the .38 MagTec, will not use it again. No experiance with the other calibers, but some of the guys I shoot with will not use it at all. For what it's worth = .2
Old October 28, 2009, 08:56 AM   #17
Fer

Quote:
I think you're confusing "MagTech" with "MecGar."

MecGar makes magazines.
You are so correct!, my mistake.

Regards,
Old October 28, 2009, 09:05 AM   #18
Fer

Ok, went to the shop yesterday, asked for .38spl ammo, they had semijacketed soft point in +P, the +P part is very good beacause we had not had +P ammo available for years, that was because non of the exporters(Aguila, Armscor or S&B) produce +P ammo(at least they do not export to my country).
Now with Magtech we have a option for +P, I have 10 rounds of winchester sjhp +P that I cherish for years, along with 5 rounds of Remington SWCHP +P.
Maybe with the Magtech option I will be able to cycle my ammo, but I am not sure of the SJHP configuration, is it a good selfdefence design?, how does a SJHP work, is it similar to a HP??
Please teach Me

Regards,
Old October 29, 2009, 01:25 AM   #19
raftman

I've used Magtech .32 acp both HP and FMJ in my Kel-Tec P32 without any problems. Those Box O' Truth types had a bad experience with a squib load when testing the P-32 with the Magtech HP's but dunno if that's a common problem.
Old October 29, 2009, 08:12 AM   #20
45Gunner

I am forced to shoot Magtech ammo at the range I frequent as they do not allow one to bring in their own ammo. I find Magtech to be OK as it causes no problems with any of my guns but I do find it very dirty. I am very meticulous about cleaning after range use and it takes me longer and I use more cleaning products after shooting Magtech.

When offered a choice, I find S & B to be reliable and not as dirty, and supplies have been plentiful.
NRA Life Member
Old October 29, 2009, 08:26 AM   #21
batmann

Put me down as another who has used MagTec and like it. It has become my preferred choice in factory ammo for my .44M. The price is slowly climbing, but at one time it was about the cheapest you could find in a factory loading.
Old October 29, 2009, 09:49 AM   #22
Huntergirl

I've used the Magtec 44mag, 44special and their 45ACP, and was very pleased with their ammo. Its good stuff.
Old October 29, 2009, 11:21 AM   #23
YZR

I've shot the 44 mag also. It packs a good punch!
Old October 30, 2009, 09:22 AM   #24
Fer

Thank you all for your replies. Still does a SJSP expand?? what is the point of this design if HP's are designed for expansion? Am I better of with FMJ in +P or just go with FMJ standard P from S&B?
Old October 30, 2009, 09:37 AM   #25
Jkwas

Good and Bad

I've had good luck with their product, except for some .38spl LRN which had hard primers and extra soft lead. Really fouled the barrel and forcing cone badly, and at times even spit molten lead out the sides. I use their jacketed product though with no problems.
Closed Thread