The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old August 28, 2005, 04:20 PM   #1
PhillipP

Top Break Transfer Bar

I see that beretta's new Laramie top break revolver has what they call a "hammer block system"....is this the same as the "transfer bar mechanism" which allows you to carry all six chambers loaded in the single action models??
Old August 28, 2005, 05:01 PM   #2
Jim Watson

No.
The "Laramie" copy of S&W New Model No 3 Target (With left over Old Model characteristics like the big cylinder retaining screw up top.) has its firing pin on the hammer as original. The hammer block probably operates similar to a modern S&W Hand Ejector and moves to block the hammer from dropping far enough for the firing pin to reach the primer unless the trigger is pulled. Same purpose as the H&R transfer bar adopted by Ruger et al, but different mechanics. They don't say it enables loading with six as they do on the Stampede, though.
Note that Beretta now owns Uberti and Navy Arms has been selling Uberti repros of various S&W top-breaks for some time. I recall that the Navy Arms guns have a hammer block, but don't know if there is any difference to the Beretta branded gun. In fact, this is the first I have seen about it.

The Beretta Stampede SAA mutant has a transfer bar while guns still under Uberti label or imported by Cimarron etc. do not.

Peeve: Why in the world they are making it in .45 Colt and .38 Special is beyond me. I guess .44 Russian would be too much to ask, but .44 Special would be more nearly authentic and is not that hard to buy; and no trouble at all to load. I have a .38-44 Target and it is enough heavier than a .44 Russian to affect the handling, so I wouldn't want the .38 Special, either.