The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 10, 2004, 10:17 PM   #1
riddleofsteel

H&R Model 99 with modified choke for turkeys??

I recently got a H&R Model 99 12 gauge single shot shotgun with a modified choke barrel as part of a trade. It is a pretty nice gun. It has a brushed nickle looking finish and nice "hard wood" stock. The gun is in 98% over all condition.
Here is the question. I have a deer lease that is literally crawling with turkeys. I see the same 2 flocks every time I go in there. They work the creek bottoms and hardwood hill sides all day long for food, consume most of my corn piles and roost in the pines along the access road at night. I have not hunted turkey for 5 or 6 years now and as a result I have no suitable shotgun. My 12 year old son is fascinated with hunting them during this year's winter season.
Would this gun be suitable for turkey? What loads should I start to test for patterns? If it is I plan to cover it with a roll of cammo tape. I seem to remember modified chokes not being much good beyond 35 yards. This is no problem as we see these birds closer than that several times a day. (That will change when the first few bite the dust I know)

Let me know what you think.

Thanks