The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 5, 2001, 08:02 PM   #1
posigian

I live in an apartment and have very confined space. I am new to reloading and have to work from a portable bench I made.

If I am working in a room with carpet, what kind of concerns do I need to have regarding powder spills or static electricity? What can I do to clean it up?

Old February 5, 2001, 08:06 PM   #2
jtduncan

Go to an office store and buy a chair roller mat so you have a hard stable surface and easier for cleanups!
Old February 5, 2001, 08:22 PM   #3
Mal H
Staff

I can only think of a few problems that might result from reloading on a carpet.

If you drop any primers, they may be hard to find depending on the type of rug. However, do not try to find them with a vaccuum cleaner.

If your carpet does cause noticable static, you're going to have a problem with electronic scales if you use one. Static seems to make them go crazy as you approach the pan if there is a static buildup on your body. Also, static can cause powder to tend to stick to scoops, funnels, the side of powder measures, etc. A humidifier in the room should help quite a bit.

Unless you spill a lot, some spilled powder shouldn't be a problem.
Old February 5, 2001, 08:32 PM   #4
Bud Helms

If you have a wife, you're dead! If you don't, change your ways before you get one!
Old February 5, 2001, 10:47 PM   #5
DialONE911

Work barefoot. It reduces static buildup and helps you find those primers you dropped.
Old February 5, 2001, 11:08 PM   #6
seadog

I reloaded for years on carpet. I did not have an electronic scale back then, so no worries about static. I kept my powder in a closet on a shelf. No trouble. Now about primers...that was a PITA. It's OK to use a vacuum IF you don't suck up a live one...I did...Boy was she POed. Screwed that vacuum bag up a little...Must have been more than one in there.
Old February 6, 2001, 12:43 PM   #7
Corey

I agree with not using a vacuum to pick up live primers. My father's buddy accidentally vacuumed up some primers with a beater bar on the vacuum when he was young and blew the motor out of it. Just a word of advise. I work on carpet also and I make sure that the number of primers I placed in the loader matches the amoun t left over an in the loaded cartridges.
Old February 6, 2001, 05:45 PM   #8
posigian

Thank you everyone! I plan to prime my brass with one of those handheld primers so I wasnt worried too much about lossing primers. Not to say it cant happen, but its nice to know. My big worry is regarding powder. I have a hand held dust buster I could use should I have a spill.

Oh BTW: I am married but she doesnt mind. In fact she fully supports my reloading, shooting, & hunting I got the last of the best of them and she cooks too

Old February 7, 2001, 09:34 AM   #9
Hot Core

Use a temporary throw rug over your carpet.

Hey posigian, Back many years ago, there was a fine young fellow who used to reload shotgun shells on the living room floor with a Pacific Press. His fine press (which he still has) was mounted to a board which he sat on while reloading. For some reason, there was a slight mishap where some of the Lead Shot got loose and into the popular Shag carpet of that era. His "Honey" was not pleased and he ended up spending a good bit of time trying to find all of the loose #8 pellets.

Couple of weeks pass and the same fiasco repeated itself. After spending LOTS and LOTS of time recovering Lead Shot in the Shag, his "Honey" made him reload on top of a sheet spread over the carpet first. Saved a whole lot of time recovering spills. (Name withheld to avoid "my" embarrassment!)

Being sharp enough to know a good thing (when I'm beat over the head with it), I now have a nice throw rug situated under my Rock Chucker. Every once in awhile something goes bonkers and a bit of powder spills, or a spent primer or two goes onto the rug. It is a simple matter to gather the rug up and go give it a good shaking in the yard. (Do not do this when the "Honey" is at home unless you enjoy snide comments!)

I also would not want to toss "Live Primers" out in the yard, but otherwise, a nice throw rug "on top of your carpet" (while you are reloading) will save you a good bit of grief (verbal too).

Good hunting and clean 1-shot kills, Hot Core
Old February 8, 2001, 02:17 PM   #10
sundog

Reverse roll some duct tape around your hand and pat the carpet to pick up the FOD. Also works well for delinting clothing of lint, hair, etc. Could even reverse roll some around something round like a coffee or soup can and have a roller. Of course if your carpet is too deep pile, well.... sundog
Old February 10, 2001, 11:24 PM   #11
George Helser

Posigian,

Long ago I lost a live primer in a shag carpet. Could not find it till vacuuming one day. It went into the vacuum with a bang. Other than a little smoke there was no damage to anything.

Regards,
George
In sunny Arizona
Old February 11, 2001, 10:51 AM   #12
posigian

Thank you to everyone for the feedback. I think I have a better solution now. We have a 5x5 storage closet that has tile on the floor. I think I am going to use it as a reloading room. This way I can sweep up the floor.