The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old February 11, 2013, 01:03 PM   #1
Southern Shooter

Legacy Puma M92 .454 Casull Ported...Good Purchase?

I recently purchased a Legacy Puma M92 .454 Casull in 98%+ condition. It is a beautiful gun. Workmanship looks of quality. Would and metal fit nicely. It is tight and smooth in its action. I cannot see any indication that the rifle was even fired.

It does have the safety mounted on the top that I hear folks complain about. I don't see a problem with it, personally.

The outer barrel measures about 18" from the receiver to the muzzle. So, I am assuming the actual barrel is 16" in length. And, the barrel is ported.

The sights on it are the optic fiber style and are very easy to visually pick up.

I have no idea how old this gun might be. But, it must have just sat in the prior owner's safe.

I paid $350 for the rifle. Did I pay too much for the gun?

Thanks
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley

Last edited by Southern Shooter; February 11, 2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old February 11, 2013, 03:25 PM   #2
lcpiper

It's easy enough to find a number of complaints about that gun. In some the company, LSI, sound like they really took good care of the customer. Pulled out all the stops to make him happy. But it's hard to say.

Customer service, no matter how stellar, can only do so much with a product that is just poorly made. Some of the problems sound like issues with stocks, cracked wood, but pads, etc. These things can be replaced and worked through as long as you keep in mind the end result. Put on a critical eye to what you have and keep in mind that $350 is cheap for a good gun. But $350 worth of junk is still junk.

Time to figure out which one you bought
Old February 12, 2013, 05:38 AM   #3
steveNChunter

Considering that they cost nearly $1000 new now and you can no longer get one in .454 Casull, yeah I'd say you did pretty good. I've never shot one myself but they have a good reputation. As for Legacy sports, I've only dealt with them once when I ordered a Howa barreled action. Delivery was fast and I didnt have any problems so I didnt really get a chance to test their customer service. But anything you buy from them will have to be sent back to the foreign manufacturer's U.S. facility or a gunsmith that they have a contract with if there is a mechanical problem anyway so I really wouldnt worry about Legacy. They are just an importer of foreign arms.

http://www.legacysports.com/products/puma_m92.html
Old February 12, 2013, 08:40 AM   #4
Southern Shooter

Bullet Cycling

I sat down last night and checked to see what of my various .454 Casull bullets fed well into this rifle (No firing. Just loading and cycling). The all seemed to do well. The ones that fed the best were the Buffalo Bore 360 Grain .454 Casull **360 gr. L.B.T. - L.W.N. (1,425 fps/M.E. 1,623 ft. lbs.)** I would imagine this, from a rifle, would be a good bit faster and at close range do some serious damage.
"My plea is that we stop seeking out the storm and enjoy more fully sunlight. I am suggesting that as we go through life we accentuate the positive. I am asking that we look a little deeper for the good, that we still our voices of insult and sarcasm, that we more generously compliment and endorse virtue and effort." Gordon B. Hinckley