The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 8, 2012, 10:33 PM   #1
srtmat

My Tikka's are shooters!

Well I picked up a couple new Tikka T3's in .270 for myself and my son. He just turned 16yrs old and need a deer rifle and I have been looking to get a new gun as well. I got a deal on a T3 hunter for me and a T3 lite for my son. I topped them off with Zeiss Conquest 3-9 scopes and Warne rings.

I am just blown away with the performance of these guns. I did a light break in and then set out to find their favorite shell. I tried Federal blue box, Hornaday SST, Winchester power max, and Federal Fusion's. Both guns really liked the Fusion's best.

I am more of an airgun guy and I don't follow powder burner trends real close. I hadn't even heard of a Tikka a month ago, but after doing tons of research I had trouble finding a bad word about the Tikka T3.

I would have been happy with MOA and sub MOA would have been a bonus. I think these groups speak volumes about the Tikka T3. I had thought about getting into hand loading but with factory ammo shooting like this I don't think I'll waste my time.

I absolutely love these Tikka's!

Mat

Old November 8, 2012, 10:52 PM   #2
Metal god

If thats 100 yards , Those are amazing groups . So lets see these rifles . I'm sure they would love to strut there way on to TFL .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 8, 2012, 11:00 PM   #3
Creeper

Welcome to the asylum srtmat...
Quote:
I am more of an airgun guy
And that may have something to do with why you're a good centerfire shot.

Cheers,
C
Old November 8, 2012, 11:18 PM   #4
srtmat

Thanks Creeper.

That my be very true.
I'm a magnum springer guy and if you know airguns they can be very tough to master. Airguns have taught me some very valuable hold techniques. They can be oooh sooo picky of the slightest change in hold.

Yes those are 100 yard shots. I never expected that from a hunting gun.

Mat

Last edited by srtmat; November 8, 2012 at 11:29 PM.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Creeper

Quote:
Airguns have taught me some very valuable hold techniques.
I'm a Weihrauch HW97K, 10 meter and FT guy... if you can shoot a springer well, centerfire is, by comparison, easy.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:33 PM   #6
srtmat

Nice choice "HW97K" I would definitely love to add one of those and a TX200 to my gun rack some day.

I shoot my Diana 56TH quite a bit and I have a Diana 34K .20 cal Factory custom coming soon.

Mat
Old November 8, 2012, 11:43 PM   #7
Creeper

Diana 56TH... nice. A more highly refined Air King as I understand it.
Old November 8, 2012, 11:54 PM   #8
warbirdlover

I've got the Tikka T3 Hunter (wood stock) in .243 as my next rifle. I've seen first hand how well they shoot and while my new Rem 700 shoots similar groups as your Tikka's I just like the Sako family of guns.
Old November 9, 2012, 01:14 AM   #9
hoghunting

Limbsaver and Kick-Eez make fitted recoil pads for the T3 if you need to change them.
Old November 9, 2012, 07:11 AM   #10
hooligan1

Nice rifles, nice scopes, nice outcome, that's cool dude.
Old November 9, 2012, 07:35 AM   #11
srtmat

Thanks Guys!

All of my shooting thus far was done off a Caldwell lead sled. I have yet to feel the recoil I hear about with these Tikka's.

Thanks for the tip hoghunting. I will look into both of those brands. I planned on getting recoil pads but I wanted to find ones that didn't need a lot of fitting and look like they came on the gun.

This sure is a nice forum. I can see I'll be spending some time around here reading and learning.

This forum has already got my cleaning techniques straightened out. I picked up a lucas bore guide and a whole new line of cleaning produsts.
It's hard to blame my old gun for shooting poor groups when I think of how many times I draggged rods across it's crown.
These guns will receive only the best treatment and my son will also be learning the right way to clean a gun. God bless my dear old Dad but I had no idea how to properly clean a gun all these years. I had no idea I was doing more damage than good.

Mat
Old November 9, 2012, 07:38 AM   #12
Creeper

Quote:
I picked up a lucas bore guide
So far... you haven't put a foot wrong. Don't worry... if you do, I'll be the first to tell you where you screwed the pooch.

Cheers,
C
Old November 9, 2012, 08:00 AM   #13
hooligan1

hehehe, creeper come on man.
srtmat are you deer hunting with these rifles? if so leave them fouled until after you are finish with the hunt.
Old November 9, 2012, 08:47 AM   #14
Metal god

Quote:
All of my shooting thus far was done off a Caldwell lead sled.
Won't that be a real pain having to lug that thing around on the hunt . Not to mention having to set it up before the deer take off

Hum all this talk about how air guns help you shoot . I think it was the sled , but maybe it's just me

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old November 9, 2012, 09:21 AM   #15
Creeper

Quote:
Hum all this talk about how air guns help you shoot
Truth it is Metal God.

Spring piston airguns recoil in two directions. They are extremely sensitive to pellet weight, actual diameter and shape. They are extremely sensitive to the type of rests used when shooting from a bench... and require a great deal of experimentation with exacting, repeatable holds, follow-through, cheek weld and shoulder pressure to be consistently accurate.

I can put almost anyone behind a competitive 6PPC, centerfire benchrest rifle and, within an hour, have them shooting sub .300" 5 shot groups at 100 yds... if I'm watching the flags and mirage, and they shoot when I tell them to. It takes me days to teach someone to put a .177 cal pellet into the center of a .250" X ring, without touching the line, at 10 meters, fairly consistently.

That's why when srtmat said he was an airgun guy, the Tikka's accuracy, with him behind the trigger made perfect sense.

C
Old November 10, 2012, 10:26 AM   #16
sc928porsche

Most of the rifles produced today shoot good groups. Competition amongst them to meet shooters demands has been the driving force. It all comes down to Sales, Sales, Sales.