The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 14, 2013, 09:06 PM   #51
Magnum Mike

The shelves around here are getting hit hard. Permits to buy hand guns have seen an all time high. My bother went to a carry course that was over booked. The same course I took in june that was canceled the month before because only 2 people signed up.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:17 PM   #52
JWT

No sign of it letting up here. No ARs around, no .223 ammo, no 9mm ammo, very little other ammo.
Old January 14, 2013, 09:22 PM   #53
RamItOne

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullseyePrecision
Gun and Ammo Rush.. dying down?
Thats a BIG OL NOPE

Ill let you guess what the empty spots are

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...rtant/DJyvnHz0
Old January 15, 2013, 12:18 PM   #54
MacPointMan

Dang it, Bad Timing For Previously Planned Gun Shopping

Here I am in Afghanistan, I have been researching specifics for a couple of months now because I wanted to nail down exactly what I wanted to buy. The last time I was home I wanted to go gun shopping with my buddy, I had been drooling over an AR - 15 for a few days and decided not to pull the trigger on buying it. I have wanted one for quite some time and now I am able to afford to purchase that and some other desired firearms. I figured I would wait until I got my annual Bonus and shored up my emergency / savings accounts a little more before I did my shopping.

So here I am ready to buy. Knowing exactly what I want and how much I want to pay for the items. Just waiting to get home to go shopping and have fun on the range.

Then on December 14th Adam Lanza decides it would be a good idea to steal his mothers firearms and ammo and well we know the story. All I know is that my heart breaks for the families. I have a 6 year old daughter.

The media and our prominent elected officials among others decide to make Gun control a priority and the prominent issue thus prompting a panic of gun and ammo buying.

I'll still go shopping when I get home next month and see whats out there but I aint payin 2500 bucks for an AR-15 I'll pay at most $1,200.

Hopefully I'll find a little Remington 597 and a Smith and Wesson M&P .22. You know it is bad when you can't even get a Ruger 10/22 and Remington 597s are scarce Not to mention .22 lr ammo.

I have had trouble the past several years finding .45 ACP ammo and bought a couple of boxes whenever I have seen it available at a reasonable price. Hopefully I'll be able to get some range time in if I can find ammo and the weapons that I want to purchase. We will see.

I feel pretty confident that Ill be able to find something. What have you all seen at the local gun shops lately?
Old January 15, 2013, 12:48 PM   #55
Tom Matiska

What is on the shelf is interesting. Ammo for my 307 Win, 358 Win, 35 Whelen, 22 Hornet, etc.... is easier to buy than ammo for my "mainstream" calibers..... The old Yogism "Nobody goes there any more, it's too crowded" will apply to my next gun purchase....
Old January 15, 2013, 11:10 PM   #56
cloud8a

Both Wal-marts I go to are out of .40. One walmart had a single box of .40 for $15. Called my Local pawn shop and asked them about their 3 used Ar's, one was Colt, another was Rock River, and the 3rd was Kaiser. He said all three were stock and were priced to sell at $3,000 a piece.
Old January 16, 2013, 08:11 AM   #57
PlungerLips

One of the local gun shops was cleaned out of long guns and only a small selection of handguns. They had about a dozen AR 15's though, but they were locked up with SOLD signs on them. I found two Magpul P mags with a price of about 60 dollars each. I quickly put them down. Things are still pretty busy in my area.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:02 AM   #58
Rmart30

I found a small LGS today and picked up 2 20 rd mini 30 mags $39 ea. and 2 30 rd Pmags $27 ea. I will keep the mini mags and sell or trade the Pmags.

A local talk radio show here reported the top states in gun sales since the SH incident... Alabama was on top with the most background cks since then, and CCW permits were going at a all time high. Here they are $7.50 a year and NO REASON for anyone here not to have one.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:08 AM   #59
Alabama Shooter

Our LGS is selling AR-15 magazines that look like they were thrown in the trash after Vietnam then pulled out of the dump years later. Now selling for $28/ea.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:25 AM   #60
Gaerek

I can't hardly find a box of 9mm or .38 SPL (Since this is what I shoot 90% of the time). And what I can find is usually anywhere from $1 to $8 more than it should be. If it's ljust a couple bucks more, I'll usually pick up a box or two, but more than that, it's not worth it. The frenzy will end soon, and ammo prices will normalize again in a couple months. Glad I stocked up on 9mm a couple months ago. I'm down to 300 rounds of .38 SPL, so time to slow down until the panic dies down I think.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:32 AM   #61
Patriot86

Any 223/556 that you can find around here is only because its priced to NOT move. $10.00/box of Wolf, $14.00/box for PMC Bronze, $20+/Box if you can find any kind of Federal.

Just nuts.

Pistol ammo is starting to fall off too, 9MM has gone up to about $14-15 a box when you can find it.
Old January 16, 2013, 10:41 PM   #62
Justice06RR

It has not calmed down at all in my area. It really depends on your location.

I have not found any 223 ammo in stock anywhere in the last 2weeks. "Assault Rifles" are way overpriced, so are 30rd mags.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:15 PM   #63
Doc Intrepid

@ MacPointMan,

Get your zen on.

While the crazy is still in full swing in my town also, you can still find nearly any rifle you'd want, include Colts and Spike's Tactical, etc. The thing is, they're all selling for $2,500 or more. They are consignment rifles from guys who own 3 or 4 or more, and who are trying to get another thousand or so over what they have in the rifle.

My gut is that Congress won't pass the AWB, and that it won't be something that the Imperial Presidency pushes because there are too many other pending crises - from the Spending Cap, to Immigration, to US hostages in Algeria, to Mali, to the Eurozone that will require SOME modicum of Congressional activity to deal with.

By the time you get home, you may be able to find something that will work for you despite how dark things seem just now. Hang in there.

Be safe and watch your six.
Old January 16, 2013, 11:16 PM   #64
SPEMack618

Is it bad that I'm hoping in a few months I will be able to have my pick of the litter when it comes to ARs and PMAGs?