The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: Carrying Beretta 92
Yes, IWB is possible/comfortable 28 62.22%
No, IWB is no good, go with OWB. 17 37.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old March 29, 2012, 08:20 AM   #1
Yung.gunr

Carrying a Beretta 92

So I recently purchased a Beretta 92FS that I was thinking about getting a holster for. But a friend of mine was saying that it is too big to comfortably carry IWB.
While I'm not strictly opposed to OCing I feel that IWB does more to protect both the gun and keep it up against me and from getting snagged on things.

Does anyone carry their 92 IWB? If so what holster have you found works best? I have a Comp Tac CTAC for my XD but wanted to try something new.

Should I just go ahead and get an OWB holster? Most of the OWB holsters I have seen leave much of the barrel/slide and muzzle open. I'm not sure if I am a fan of that. Has anyone run into problems with it?

Thanks for your input, unsure on which way to go....

Last edited by Yung.gunr; March 29, 2012 at 08:28 AM.
Old March 29, 2012, 08:23 AM   #2
Canik

yes, 92fs is too big for IWB,
Old March 29, 2012, 09:48 AM   #3
Mrgunsngear

Keep in mind--carrying a gun is more comforting than comfortable. That said, you can carry it IWB in a good hybrid holster (Theis) or two hook leather rig (RBKA is great and the owner is a memeber here...) as long as you have a very sturdy belt designed for carrying guns. I have a Galco belt that is great for carrying. Good luck.
Old March 29, 2012, 09:59 AM   #4
peacefulgary

Can it be done?

Yes.

But heck, a small shotgun can be carried inside the waistband if your really try.

The real question is "why would you want to?".

The beretta 92 is one of the bulkiest 9mm pistols on the market.
It was designed as a soldier's handgun, to be carried on a soldier's carry rig.
It was never intended to be carried concealed inside the waistband.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:00 AM   #5
TheNocturnus

I carry a Stoeger Cougar 8000f OWB in a fobus holster. It is very similar to the Beretta 92 in width and weight. The barrel and slide are a little shorter on the Cougar though. I voted OWB, but there is no reason you can't carry OWB and concealed. I just drape a t-shirt over mine and all is well.
Brain (Use this one the most)
Old March 29, 2012, 10:05 AM   #6
RKG

One excellent and comfortable holster for OWB with a full sized auto is the Don Hume #721. Comes in either thumb break or open top configuration.

I have one for a P220 and another for a Gov't Model .45. I can comfortably carry either all day. I have another for a 4" M-28; ditto.
Old March 29, 2012, 10:10 AM   #7
JonathanZ

I carry a Sig P226 IWB. I am skinny though so it fits comfortably with pants that are loose enough. I think part of being able to comfortably carry a full size gun depends on one's body type and whether or not the pants you wear give you enough room.
Old March 29, 2012, 02:15 PM   #8
TailGator

I love my 92FS, but I carry a Glock 26. I know some carry the big Beretta, but I'm not one of them.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:25 PM   #9
federali

Beretta 92

The 92 is probably the smoothest firing 9mm I've ever used. But, it's a uniform duty gun and really not practical for CCW. I transport an equally large S&W M&P .45 in a universal nylon shoulder rig, to and from the range and it carries rather easily but I wouldn't want to attempt either the Beretta or the M&P in an IWB rig.

But, if you truly want to carry the Beretta, don't let us stop you.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:31 PM   #10
claydoctor

My solution entails buying another gun but nothing wrong with that. If you're determined on the IWB holster, the Beretta 92 was once available in both a Compact and a Centurion version both more amenable to IWB carry. They turn up frequently on Gunbroker.
Old March 29, 2012, 05:33 PM   #11
9mm

Quote:
But a friend of mine was saying that it is too big to comfortably carry IWB
Lies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Im carrying 92fs in the house and works. I can't upload the other pic with the shirt over because files to big. I'm 5'7 130
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 22222.jpg (155.1 KB, 715 views)
Old March 29, 2012, 05:34 PM   #12
9mm

here it is with shirt down

You can do it
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 255.jpg (130.1 KB, 648 views)
Old March 29, 2012, 06:00 PM   #13
Friar Whently

I'm a little thinner than 9mm (6'0", 130 lbs) and my only gun at this point is a 92fs. I use a Crossbreed SuperTuck at 4:00 and a Wilderness Tactical belt. You can really only notice it if I bend over or something, otherwise you can't tell it's there.

Hey 9mm, what holster are you using? Never tried front/appendix carry. How is it sitting down with it in that position?
Old March 29, 2012, 06:04 PM   #14
9mm

Its just a Blackhawk nylon I think size 7 or so, for barrels 4 inches. Yeah sitting down is a little different, some of the shorts I own are short cut crotch so... You gotta pull the pants. I have no problem on my other cargo shorts though. I like carrying it in the back, the front isnt the best but does work well while standing. Sometimes it will dig on your leg while sitting. I love it at the 4 o clock spot, I don't have that problem.

How do you enjoy your crossbread holster? I was thinking about buying one and replacing this cheap nylon for it. I got a Galco king tuk for my Glock 19 and it works very nice. I know crossbread is the same type of holster and would image its good.
Old March 29, 2012, 06:18 PM   #15
Bullrock

I used to walk a beat back in the olden days of youre with a .38 special in my service holster. I was in my late twenties at the time, and I can honestly say that if I had to drag a 92 around for 8 hours, I'd probably have to crawl back to the station house at the end of shift.

But that was then, and this is now...I think!
Old March 29, 2012, 06:32 PM   #16
Friar Whently

Quote:
How do you enjoy your crossbread holster? I was thinking about buying one and replacing this cheap nylon for it. I got a Galco king tuk for my Glock 19 and it works very nice. I know crossbread is the same type of holster and would image its good.
I dig the CBST, but then again it's the first and only holster I've tried. There may be something better out there for all I know, but I've never heard or read anything but great things about the CBST. They're a little expensive (~$70), but I was able to get mine used on the Beretta Forum used for $40.

I've also tried it at 6:00 and it seems to conceal even better than at 4:00, but it's a little more difficult to draw from and not as comfortable with it pressing quite firmly on your tailbone. 'Course, as thin as I am, I don't have much padding around my tailbone, so it may not be as uncomfortable for others.
Old March 29, 2012, 07:38 PM   #17
Kreyzhorse

It can be done, but you'll have to dress around the gun. It's not going to be very comfortable either but it depends on how motivated you are.

I guess the real question is not can it be done, but how often will you continue to deal with all the draw backs of carrying a gun that large? After the new factor wears off, I'd guess that you won't carry it all that much.
Old March 29, 2012, 11:45 PM   #18
Aristides

Bellyband

I have the 92FS Compact. It's somewhat more "compact" than the regular 92, but not dramatically so. I carry mine routinely in a bellyband, with no problem at all. Dress shirt, tucked in over top of the pistol, slightly "bloused" out to cover the grip. Quite comfortable.
Old March 30, 2012, 02:05 PM   #19
Billy Shears

Holy crap, 9mm...do you really want your muzzle pointed there?

I don't care how many safety devices my weapon has, I do not want it pointed in that direction. I've been cc'ing for twenty years, but that picture kind of freaks me out.
Old October 28, 2012, 12:53 PM   #20
soccerz619

I bought a Beretta 92FS as my first pistol, and carry it with me 95% of the time I leave. I bought a cheap, twenty dollar leather holster for IWB carry and love it. I have to wear a belt and a big shirt, but it doesn't look obvious. I'm 6'2" about 170, and I think it is easy. Especially with winter. I think it is comfortable too. I only want a smaller one for days when all I have on is basketball shorts/pants and am running to the store for a quick errand.

I love knowing the weight is there, that I have 16 rounds without needs to reload, and I find wearing it enjoyable. I am going to get an OWB for the house though.

I suggest trying some on in a store, and seeing which you like best. I am looking for a similar IWB but with a spring-loaded clip to hold it to my belt because mine is bent outwards some. But it is very easy to conceal and you get used to the weight.
Old October 28, 2012, 02:33 PM   #21
wayneinFL

I'm sitting here with a 92D Centurion in a $25 Don Hume IWB holster. I just looked it up and it's about 3/4" shorter than full size. And I have the full size holster.

It's comfortable enough I really didn't give it any thought until I saw this thread.
Old October 28, 2012, 03:03 PM   #22
Dragline45

For a gun that size I would prefer a shoulder rig
Old October 28, 2012, 06:59 PM   #23
Captain H

I have just finished going thru what you are now with my 92FS. I have found that a nice outside the belt concealable holster works best for a gun of this size.

I purchased this one for mine and it conceals better than my 1911 in a Galco Royal guard inside the waistband holster. The extreme forward cant is the trick in this holster. Wear it at the 4-oclock position and it barely goes below the bottom of the belt. A T-shirt conceals this thing like it is not there. I could not believe I could conceal a fullsize Beretta 92. I have no affiliation with these guys.

Galco also has a similar holster called the Concealable.

http://store.dmbullardleather.com/ca...00eb1fdbde4f4e

Last edited by Captain H; October 28, 2012 at 09:06 PM.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:31 PM   #24
pete2

I've never tried IWB with the Beretta. I can't carry a 1911 IWB. I do have an IWB for a 642 that works very well. I think my body sahpe makes the larger guns uncomfortable.
Old October 28, 2012, 08:57 PM   #25
Sharpsdressed Man

I am more comfortable with OWB wit hthe Beretta.