The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 11, 2005, 07:27 PM   #1
Dead-Nuts-Zero

How strange is this Brass question?

I have been doing alot of research in the past few weeks and much of it came from right here at The Firing Line Forum. I have been working on shooting and reloading and anything related. It seems that my mind get excited once in awhile and I think of something that I just have to ask. So here is another useless question for the experts in my favorite forum.

Is there a hand tool made for the target shooter that will sort out the expired range brass when it's picked up in bulk and brought home to reload? Some kind of a sifter or shaker that puts all the 9mm in one pile and the .38's in another pile etc.etc.etc?

Many people just shoot and leave a mess behind. So I pick up most everything, bring it home and sort it out. I toss the junk and give what I don't need to others who can use it. I have done this for many years on the skeet and trap range, but shotgun hulls are usually color coded, making it a simple job.

Now that I am getting into more center fire pistol shooting, I find it hard to seperate some things like .380 and 9mm and .32 .25 etc. Sometimes with a little dirt on them, they are very hard to identify.

I am sure there is some kinf of machine comercially availible that's about the size of a pickup truck. What about a tool for us average guys? Maybe something like the brass tumbler cage that seperates the media from the brass?

Sorry, I just had to ask!
Old February 11, 2005, 09:45 PM   #2
WIL TERRY

Sir, God Has Already Issued You The Equipment.

Two eyeballs and two hands.
They work just fine too!!! Pretty soon you'll be able to do it in yore sleep.
Old February 11, 2005, 10:15 PM   #3
impact

I still have hell with the 40s and 45s.

I saw a machine at a gun range that sorted brass. It was two long cylinders. real close at one end and about 2 inches apart at the othe end. The cylinders turned from the center up. The wide end was lower than the narrow end. When the brass was dumped onto the cylinder at the high end they would move down to the wide end. But the brass would fall when they got to a point where the cylinder would not hold the brass up. It worked ok! But you still got some mixed brass because the 9s would fit in the 40s. and the 40s would fit in the 45s. All you had to do was put a 5 gallon bucket under the cylinder where the brass would fall.
Old February 12, 2005, 12:35 PM   #4
Archie

Perhaps uncommon, but not strange.

I've had the same idea for some time.

Usually, I will tumble all the brass first. Clean the gunk off the headstamp to make it easier to identify and also spot cracks and defects.

A Dillon case feed device will help do some sorting. Put in the small pistol wheel and dump in all the cases. It will pick out all the 'small pistol' cases; .357 Magnum and smaller.

Then the 'large pistol' wheel will remove all the larger handgun rounds and leave the rifle sized stuff.

I've considered a slider rack with progressively larger holes, that would allow 22 cases first to fall, then .32 ACP and 9x19 and so on. I haven't worked out the details yet; some sort of inclined conveyer, with a shaker device to keep things moving. (Now how much is this thingie going to cost?)

Even then, when one gets all the 45s in one bucket, they still have to be sorted by headstamp and so forth. But any assistance would be nice.

Check out updated journal at http://oldmanmontgomery.wordpress.com/
Old February 14, 2005, 02:09 AM   #5
xmastree

I've found that it is possible to load a .40 head in a 9mm shell without it splitting...