The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old February 23, 2013, 03:13 AM   #1
ScottRiqui

My guns no longer need to "do it all".

I realize that most of you probably had this realization many years ago, so please forgive the ramblings of a relative "newbie".

My first pistol (and still my favorite) was a S&W M&P .38 from 1930 or so. It literally had to "do it all" - I took it to the range, I carried it, and it stayed loaded in a lockbox in my bedroom.

I bought a Glock 19 with the idea of having a smaller, higher-capacity carry gun that would still "do it all". I ended up being so impressed with it that I gave it to my father because I wanted him to have something that was reliable and easy to shoot well.

Then came the Springfield EMP .40 S&W. It was another "do it all" gun, and it's my current EDC. The S&W .38 still stays loaded in the lockbox, because it's the gun that my wife feels most comfortable with if anything goes wrong while I'm gone.

Then a change happened - I started buying guns that weren't necessarily an "improvement" over what I already had.

First was a Beretta 84BB. It has a light frame, and 13+1 of .380 isn't bad at all for a carry gun, but I've never actually carried it. But it's a beauty, it's reliable and I shoot it well at the range.

My wife was interested in a "pink" gun, so a Walther P22 joined the stable. It got her interested in shooting, and it works well enough, but she's since taken over the Ruger (described later), so the Walther sits in the safe. I still bring it out as a non-threatening "first pistol" for friends who express an interest in learning to shoot, so it's not useless.

Of course, I had to get a Walther PPK eventually - it was an "early love", dating back to when I watched my first James Bond film. At 6+1 of .380, it's no high-capacity powerhouse, and frankly, it's a heavy chunk of steel for a pocket gun. But I still love it.

At this point, I started feeling bad that I didn't have a 1911, so I bought a Remington R1. Dimensionally, it's identical to my EMP except for the extra two inches on the front, It carries one less round than the EMP, but in a slightly larger caliber. So, it really didn't fill any kind of empty "niche", functionally-speaking, but I like the way it looks and feels, and it also gave me an excuse to start reloading a new caliber.

Somewhere along the line, I also got a Ruger MkIII "Hunter". With an 8" barrel and being chambered in .22lr, it was never going to be anything other than a range toy, but I'm okay with that now. That also means that if I want to hang a red dot optic off of it, that's fine - it's not as if I'm going to be concealing it.

Finally, I picked up a Browning Hi-Power. This was another "purchase of love", although I told myself that with several thousand pieces of 9mm brass lying around and the Glock long gone, I should really have *something* chambered in 9mm. But when I was looking at buying extra mags, it dawned on me that the 10-rounders would be just fine, since I'm probably ever only going to shoot it at the range.

So while I don't have a "collection", I'm well on my way to an "accumulation", and it's liberating to be able to buy something without having to convince myself that I somehow "need" it, or that the prospective new purchase is somehow "better" than the guns I already have.

Long guns are another story. I'm still at the "one shotgun, one .22, and one AR" stage. But I'm starting to think it would be nice to have another AR, this time with a flat top for an optic of some type...
Old February 23, 2013, 03:55 AM   #2
Fire_Moose

Re: My guns no longer need to "do it all".

I just got Into guns a couple years ago. Went with a CZ85 combat to do it all. After about a year I realized I don't want to carry such an amazing, heavy machine.

Got a carry 9mm.

Just recently added long range to my options....if I can get practised enough with it.

Next will be the shotgun...prolly I'm accumulating as well
Old February 23, 2013, 08:44 AM   #3
Mastery

Myself, like many others, seem to build a "collection" from wanting to try out many different guns. After awhile, we realize what gets left in the safe when we go shooting.

I've tried Kimbers, M&P, Taurus, and so many others. Over the years, I've slowly started selling off the ones I just don't shoot much. Whether somebody loves the Glock, Sigs, or whatever...it sometimes takes us a few years to figure out what we want to focus on.

Doesn't mean that I don't go out and buy something new...sometimes at the LGS I hear something new and shiny calling my name...
Old February 23, 2013, 08:56 AM   #4
kutz

I call my accumulation a Gun Rescue Mission, but they aren't up for adoption.
Old February 23, 2013, 06:49 PM   #5
uradaisyifudo

If there truly was a do it all gun we'd all own it, one version or another. I am still prone to buying guns to fill a niche. The niche I will fill next might be that filled be one of those master arms pistols. 30 rounds of. 45 won't do it all either, but it will do something!
Old February 23, 2013, 06:56 PM   #6
olddav

Guns can be like a circle of friends, some are pretty, some are valuable, and some are a lot of fun, and just like friends you can never have too many.
Old February 23, 2013, 07:00 PM   #7
Deaf Smith

Scott,

My guns could 'do it all' along time ago. I buy others cause I LIKE to shoot them, not because of necessity.

I could live fine with just a 30/30, Mossie 12, and Ruger Speed Six .357.

But, life is short and I like it to be INTERESTING.

Deaf
Old February 23, 2013, 07:15 PM   #8
SgtLumpy

Excellent!

I think everybody needs a snubby, a hi cap 9, a Dirty Harry, a 4" 357, a 6" model 10, a Colt Woodsman 22, a 45 Colt single action, a 1911, a 22 variant of any of the above, et al... And add anything else of interest, 40, 10mm, 380, wildcats, whatever.

Sgt Lumpy - n0eq
Old February 23, 2013, 07:46 PM   #9
wpsdlrg

Everyone is different....and so much the better.

Interestingly enough, I've been dealing with this sort of issue lately....and I came to the opposite conclusion. I only had 4 handguns, not a collection.....and not much of an "accumulation", either. But, I came to the realization that this was too many for me. I believe that the differing styles were holding me back, as regards improving my shooting ability and self defense training. So, I've now cut my inventory to 2 handguns - both very similar in size, same cartridge and both with the same operation ("manual of arms"). I carry both interchangeably.

So, in essence, I do expect my handguns to "do it all". But, variety is the spice of life. Whatever others choose to do, I'm pleased if it works to their satisfaction.
Old February 23, 2013, 08:17 PM   #10
shafter

That's why I enjoy my S&W 10 and 64 so much. They may be lowly 38 specials but who says they have to cover all the bases?
Old February 23, 2013, 09:31 PM   #11
Dragline45

Instead of having one gun to do it all I like to have a gun for each role.

- Small pocketable .380 for concealed carry
- Compact 9mm for IWB concealed carry
- Full size 9mm/45 for home defense or woods carry
- .22 pistol for range use

For me at least that covers all my bases, although I still need to get a .45 out of the list. I don't like to own two guns that serve the same purpose, as I just see it as a waste since one will just sit in the safe not getting used. I am not really a collector, I just buy what I need. If there is something I want that fills the same need as something I already own, I will buy it and sell off one or the other, with the exception of .22's. Can never have enough .22's.

I wont get into long guns since this is the handgun forum.

Last edited by Dragline45; February 24, 2013 at 02:13 AM.
Old February 23, 2013, 11:08 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

Dragline,

Now you need practice versions of all the above.

Deaf
Old February 23, 2013, 11:47 PM   #13
chris in va

I've actually gone the other direction. My P01 does everything...carry, competition, range/target. My 97b is purely for fun.
Old February 24, 2013, 02:11 AM   #14
Dragline45

Quote:
Dragline,

Now you need practice versions of all the above.
I have a soft spot for rimfires, when the funds permit I would like to have a .22 counterpart for all my handguns. Although that will all have to wait until I get the M1A I have been wanting for a while, that is if I can actually find one in the foreseeable future.
Old February 25, 2013, 01:52 PM   #15
kjd2121

I recently got into handguns this past year and believe I have everything I need, for now.

Glock 21 .45 - Bedside gun
Glock 26 - 9mm - Wife's new gun - Bedside and IWB CC - Graduated from .380
Glock 27 - .40 - My IWB CC

Then

Benelli M2 7+1 - Bedside
AR15 - Medium range
M1 Garand - Longer range

should hold me for 5 months - lol.
Old February 26, 2013, 08:40 AM   #16
dakiwi13

agreed

i have way more guns than i need (is that even possible?)

the wife says i have a problem. i tell her that if anything every happened i'm glad that i have at least one gun in every room of the house and every vehicle
Old February 26, 2013, 11:54 AM   #17
The Great Mahoo

I buy guns because I can, and I really enjoy them. Sometimes I think about culling the herd down to a few select items, but I have no great need to. If I were hard up for cash, I could part with a few and be happy with just a few.

I have limited new purchases to filling roles that aren't well covered. I finally picked up a .22 handgun; I'm still thinkin about a 3-4" .357 to add to my collection, but can't justify why.
Old February 26, 2013, 12:34 PM   #18
osageid

I enjoy so many different platforms just last year I purchased
Mark23
HK45
Glock19
Glock20SF

Would not sell any one of them
Old February 26, 2013, 12:48 PM   #19
shouldazagged

As my age and arthritis have advanced and my need for mobility diminished, I've reduced my expectations. At 75 I'm quite happy with a J-frame .38 Special +P for EDC and a Model 10 for a bedside gun. I also have a 12 gauge double sawed to 20" and a Marlin 39A, both of which I've had for forty years; but in my old age, my .38's suit my needs and my crippled-up hands just fine.
Old February 26, 2013, 04:39 PM   #20
mrt949

Over time things change as we all know now down to a few .
Mouse guns SEECAMP 32 . BERETTA 21A 22LR.
HD & CARRY.RUGER SP101, SW MP 40.C .
Can't feed them don't need them
Old February 26, 2013, 06:06 PM   #21
FM12

Any reason not to carry both?
Old February 26, 2013, 06:30 PM   #22
Cheapshooter

If I had to limit my handgun to one "do it all", I would do all I could so I didn't have to limit my self to one handgun!
Mine now range in caliber from 22 to 45-70, and barrel length from 1 7/8" to 14" in revolvers, semi-autos, and break open single shot.
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old March 24, 2013, 02:08 PM   #23
triplebike

Within the last couple of weeks I purchased a CZ kadet 22 conversion kit for my 75B SA. I now have two outstanding weapons in one. At the range it's a 22, take it home & it's one of my 9MM HD weapons. I also have a 75B SA Target & a P07. And I just had to have that INOX 92FS sitting in the showcase. Damn, I'm in the firearm addiction club!

Last edited by triplebike; March 24, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old March 24, 2013, 03:07 PM   #24
Kreyzhorse

I had a few guns that were my do all range, hunting and home defense guns but getting my CCW license changed it all. Simply put, my S&W 686 does everything well but conceal and carry. That drove me to add guns as "carry guns."

Carry guns now fall into carry and carry / range.

My LCP is a great carry gun and while I do shoot it, it isn't a gun I want to go spend an hour at the range with. My Walther PPS is my carry and range time gun.
Old March 25, 2013, 10:11 AM   #25
fastbolt

I used to buy guns by trying to justify their purpose or role.

Once I became a firearms instructor I started expanding my collection. I justified it by telling myself I needed to become familiar with not only the guns I liked and wanted to own, but with those that I was (or might) be issued, as well as many of the major ones owned and used as off-duty weapons by our folks.

Then, once I became an armorer, I justified buying more by telling myself I ought to own an example of whatever it was that was covered by an armorer class (especially if I could buy one under an armorer purchase plan reduced price ). As the classes started to accumulate over the years, so did the guns. I finally discovered I didn't want to own some of the guns covered in some classes.

I know some instructors who have bought guns after classes which they've never fired. They just got put away in a safe. I know one of them who actually doesn't remember what he owns that's he's locked away in his gun room. (Why bother if they aren't useful, or he's not a "collector"?)

I shoot mine.

When I have so many I have a hard time keeping them all clean from shooting, though ... it's starting to become too many. I could carry a different handgun everyday with which I've qualified, trained & practiced and not carry the same one twice in more than a month.

None of my shoes, boots or sandals can "do everything" for footwear.

My motor vehicles have all served different roles better than others (cars, truck SUV, motorcycles). None are "do everything" vehicles (not well).

My knives contain different designs, sizes, configurations, etc ... and all serve me better in some manners than others.

I have different belts, glasses, jackets, pants, etc.

I could "make do" with just about any single handgun, but it might eventually involve more of a compromise than I'd care to experience. It would work much better, and I could cover more bases, if I were to limit myself to 2 or 3 handguns (if I had to).

I have some 9's & .40's I rather like to carry.

Not so much most of my .45's anymore, although I own as about many of them as I do 9's & .40's, combined.

I have more than half a dozen 5-shot snubs which see range & carry use (a mix of .38 Spl & .357 Magnum) ... but my assortment of full-size .357, .44 Magnum & .45 Colt revolvers only see occasional range use anymore.

Now, for the first time in more than 25 years, I own a .380 I've been using for range & retirement CCW.

I have too many handguns. There. I said it again.

Of course, I've been thinking about buying another 1-3 more (but not as quickly as I used to buy them). I've got a couple of armorer purchase program forms from a couple recert classes which I've still not yet used.

I haven't been an ardent reloader for almost 30 years, or I'd probably be buying more .44's & .45 Colts (again), and probably revisit my enjoyment of the .41 Magnum.

I'm past the age where I feel like trying to influence other folks about what they ought to own.

As an instructor, my primary interest is the skillset & mindset of the folks with whom I work out on the range (or in the classroom). Their equipment choice is either what they're limited to, or whatever they happen to prefer ... and it doesn't affect me.

When the day comes that I no longer keep my hand in things as a firearms instructor & armorer (meaning no longer having access to an agency range or ammo inventory), then I'll probably whittle down my collection and interest, a bit.

Maybe.

I just bought 2 new pairs of boots (and I already own 4 other pair).