The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old March 3, 2009, 10:35 AM   #26
Double J

I don't know the situation there, but in Illinois, if there is no rosponse from NICS within three days, the transaction can proceed anyway. A late response will be noted on the 4473 AFTER the transaction.
Old March 3, 2009, 08:18 PM   #27
Macol

From my time as a US Army Company Commander, any time the MPs or CID are involved in anything, they fill out a report. To complete this report, the commander must then fill out the actions taken; punishment, reprimand, etc. The MPs then file it away in the dark recesses of government file cabinets. I can't remember the form number, it was one of many I quickly filled out and signed as a signature machine for the company.

Then I've seen on background checks for Arms, Ammo, and Explosives access requests the smallest things, like Article 15s for minor offenses. So it must reside on file for a while somewhere. As a commander, though, I could always mark 'suitable' based upon my knowledge of the person.

And, yes, "extra duty" can only be imposed as a punishment after an Article 15, and not by NCOs. I got into a few NCOs for doing this as it took away my power base. However, I did understand the value the "corrective training" had to offer before an issue was brought to my attention. We then got our terminology straight.

So to sum this up: this is possible as I see it. Not exactly legal IMO, but that's not my area of expertise.

Just my 0.02.
Old March 13, 2009, 11:21 AM   #28
cube_zombie

Just wanted to update this..I got the disposition from Ft Belvior and it showed I was never arrested and was sent back to my unit and received a written reprimand...Also the letter from the CID archives said this wasn't within the policy for this to have been reported so they are sending a letter to the FBI to have it removed from NCIC..

Big thank you to jbriggs who answered questions for me on this and pointed me in the right direction..Thanks to everyone else who responded as well..

I picked up my permits to purchase this morning and then went and picked up my S&W M&P .45..Just got done cleaning it :-)
Old March 13, 2009, 11:45 AM   #29
Mike Irwin
Staff

Excellent, and welcome to the gun-owning fraternity.

Now stay clear of the Thug Life.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.