The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Closed Thread

Old May 30, 2007, 03:25 AM   #1
bibirino

crossbow cheetah

good morning to the whole forum my name is lugi and I write from Italy I am an ex noncommissioned officer of the Italian military harbor and I would need your help.
I own a crossbow CRISBOW cheetah mk4 unfortunately I have lost the lock that stops the arc to the hilt and in italia I don't succeed in finding the retailer.
can you help me?
I thank so much you
excuse me for mine not good English
thanks still
Old May 30, 2007, 07:40 AM   #2
Abndoc

Try asking at excaliburcrossbow.com

Good luck.
Old May 30, 2007, 09:15 AM   #3
slow944

Welcome to The Firing Line and +1 for what Abndoc said
Old May 30, 2007, 09:34 AM   #4
bibirino

I thank you so much, I will try there
Old June 2, 2007, 02:43 PM   #5
bibirino

unfortunately on excalibur I have not found anything someone you/he/she can help me?
thanks
if someone has a photo of the piece the way that I can build him/it, thanks still
Old June 2, 2007, 03:03 PM   #6
Odd Job

You are in luck, my friend. Those crossbows are not very well known, but I have one. I will post a few pics for you. They were manufactured in South Africa and I got mine as a birthday present when I turned 17. The Cheetah frame is compatible with the Quadro 2000 compound prod. I upgraded my Cheetah many years ago and it is now a Crisbow Cheetah with a Quadro 2000 compound prod. This makes it effectively a Crisbow Quadro 2000.

Watch this space for pictures and further information...
Old June 2, 2007, 03:29 PM   #7
Odd Job

Okay here is the Crisbow Cheetah MKIV with a Quadro 2000 compound prod:

Here is the compound prod by itself:

Bibirino, you can add one of those prods to your Crisbow too. The frame accepts both prods.

A few years ago (2003) I bought spare grips and a spare prod from a company in Belgium. They might have a spare stirrup for you (the part in the front that you need). The stirrup is the same no matter which prod (arc) you use. Here are the details of that company:

Here is a picture of the stirrup:

If SSA can't sell you one, let me know and then I will take detailed measurements of mine, and post it here.
Old June 2, 2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Odd Job

By the way, for all you folk who haven't yet heard the term, the Crisbow is an EBC.

(Evil Black Crossbow )
Old June 4, 2007, 01:50 AM   #9
T. O'Heir

"...lost the lock that stops the arc to the hilt..." You mean the lock that holds the string when you have a bolt in the bow? I'd still try the shop Odd Job mentioned.
Odd Job, you know if that bow is still being made? It doesn't appear on a net search.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:06 AM   #10
Odd Job

Sadly, it is no longer made in its Evil Black Crossbow configuration.
However, the company I listed above was selling a wood-stocked version a few years ago. It is probably old stock. A club member bought one and I tried it out. Sorry I don't have pictures of it. These are the main differences:

1) Wood stock, no adjustable grips or butt stock
2) Off-centred cable guide
3) No front sight (must use a scope)
4) Brass track

Everything else was the same, including the trigger and the prod. I much prefer mine because of the adjustable grips and butt-stock. I am also not in favour of off-centred cable guides.

By the way, if you get one of those, be advised that you must have a good set of arms on you. The draw weight is 140lbs on the compound prod and 150lbs on the recurve. There is no load assist. The guy at the club who bought the wood version cannot load it more than once or twice a session. No known electric loaders can be attached to it. I could probably fit one to mine, but I don't need it.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:10 AM   #11
Odd Job

I must add that the OP is most certainly referring to the stirrup. He could not have lost anything out of the trigger housing because there is no way to access that. It is a sealed unit.
He might have lost the bolt retainer (the spring clip in front of the trigger housing) but the way he words it I am confident he has lost the stirrup.

Edit: the wood version has a metal stirrup whereas mine is GRP.
Old June 4, 2007, 02:17 AM   #12
Odd Job

I just emailed them to see if they have any parts or complete crossbows.
Will let you all know what I find.
Old June 5, 2007, 10:48 PM   #13
2rugers

That'a way to help out ODD JOB, I like to see that.

Interesting crossbow by the way, have you ever chronied an arrow through it?
Old June 6, 2007, 01:58 AM   #14
Odd Job

I haven't put one through a chrony, but IIRC the specs say that an Eagle 2117 16" bolt with a field tip will be doing about 300 fps. I haven't verified this. In unscientific tests with cellulose sheets, I saw good penetration (better than 9mmP FMJ) at close range. But that isn't a surprise.

Still no email from the company.

If there is interest in this crossbow, I will take more pictures. Sadly they are very difficult to find now.
Old June 7, 2007, 02:04 AM   #15
T. O'Heir

"...no load assist..." Make yourself a Medieval style hook that attaches to your belt. Hooks over the string and you stand up. Medieval crossbows could have a 140 plus draw weight too.
This guy has a winch style and a rope cocking aid. Down at the bottom of the page. http://www.archeryoutfitters.net/CrossBows.htm
Old June 7, 2007, 02:13 AM   #16
Odd Job

The belt hook would probably pull my pants down
A guy at the club has that rope harness and I tried it. To be honest it put more strain on my back. I am avoiding that at all costs.
When I load it, I use arms only, with my chest resting on the buttstock. Any standing method will put load on your lumbar spine.
I'll either continue doing arms only or I'll try to fit one of the electric winches on the frame.
Old June 7, 2007, 02:39 AM   #17
T. O'Heir

The 'winch' at that site is kind of pricey at $75. Mind you, they want $36 for the rope. My only cross bow is a medieval replica. Has a stirrup, but it's light enough to use one hand. A hunting bow it ain't.
Old June 16, 2007, 11:33 AM   #18
Odd Job

I still haven't heard back from SSA via email. Just tried to call but there was no answer and no answering machine (but it is Saturday). Trouble is, I can't phone them during the week. It is possible they are no longer trading.
Did anyone successfully contact them? Where is our Italian friend who asked about the crossbow?
Old December 17, 2007, 11:39 AM   #19
Gavinza

Quadro 2000

Hi. I recently bought a Crisbow Quadro 2000 and i was wondering if someone could help me with the specs on it and is it any good? As well as if there is a manual aviable for it? Many thx
Old February 25, 2008, 03:19 AM   #20
Leylan

Crisbow Quadro 2000

Hi Guys,
I've also acquired this Cross - bow recently and would be much obliged if some-one could send me specs on it,tried to Google it ,but to no avail.
Plan to shoot Wart-hog and Impala with it.Thank you.
Old February 25, 2008, 05:53 AM   #21
Leylan

Pics of Crisbow Quadro 2000

Hi guys,
Attached please find pics of Crisbow
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crisbow Quadro 2000 001.jpg (142.3 KB, 308 views)
File Type: jpg Crisbow Quadro 2000 002.jpg (147.3 KB, 228 views)
Old February 25, 2008, 03:23 PM   #22
Odd Job

Howsit okes.

I don't have a manual for the Crisbow, but I'll tell you what I know.

The first Crisbow that I saw was the Cheetah model (recurve single prod) with a draw weight of 150lbs. These came out in the mid 80s and I got one of those in Johannesburg in 1988. The crossbow was sold in a flat polystyrene box with two Easton Eagle 2117 bolts inside. There was no booklet or manual, but there was a foldout brochure about A3 in size, full colour, which showed the two versions of the Crisbow. There were basic specs on that sheet. If I remember correctly there was a simple instruction page, folded in four, black and white, showing how to load and shoot the crossbow. I don't have the sheet anymore but there is a small chance I still have the colour foldout.

The components (and probably the bows themselves) were distributed by a company called Taylor and Henderson, and in Johannesburg they had an office in Darras Centre (near Kensington).
It was from Taylor and Henderson that I ordered the compound prod and 4x32 scope to attach to my Cheetah, which effectively made it a Quadro 2000 such as what Leylan has. Mine is the same as Leylan's except that mine says Cheetah instead of Quadro. Also, Leylan is missing the front grip.
When I upgraded to compound, I handed the recurve prod in for a discount (I regret that decision).

Leylan: watch the rust on that Quadro in KZN. I have spent many a moon in Amanzimtoti and I noticed the bolt heads on the back of the prod getting rusty. It would help to treat those against rust. The same applies to the scope mounts and the cam bolts. Speaking of scope mounts, the original mounts suck badly. If you can get some Lynx mounts for your bow you'll have less problems with a shifting scope. IIRC the mounts I bought were the same as what people use on a BRNO 527 rifle.

Pics will be coming up, if there is specific pic you want.
Old February 27, 2008, 06:48 AM   #23
Leylan

Hwzt Odd Job,Guys

Thank you for replying OJ,info really helps.
We hunt conventionally with a 300 Win Mag and a 375 H&H ,wanted to try something different this year, resulting in me acquiring the Crisbow,it has a bit of history to it,some farmer shot a local with it and a buddy of mine eventually got hold of it (don't ask me how.) I was talking to him one evening about getting a Crossbow and voila ,it's now in my possession.
I'm on the North Coast OJ > Richards Bay,we hunt further up North > Pongola.
Yeah will definately treat other items against rust,bolts and nuts are stainless steel.
I've got a 4 x 32 UltraOptec scope and mounts.
Yeah,aware that front grip is missing,got bow without it.
Standing by for your pics OJ,can send more pics of my Bow if anyone needs some.

Tnks
Old February 27, 2008, 03:07 PM   #24
Odd Job

Will do, are there any pics you want specifically, or just a general set?
Old February 28, 2008, 09:27 AM   #25
Leylan

Hi OJ

General set will do,tnk u
Closed Thread