The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old October 30, 2014, 04:56 AM   #26
xboxhero

i don't play video games anymore. i wanted to experience what it is like with a firearm that is kind of like the one the military uses in real life.
Old October 30, 2014, 05:00 AM   #27
xboxhero

i was just telling you the experience i had with fake m4s. one in the video game and the airsoft one i had.
Old October 30, 2014, 09:20 AM   #28
tahunua001

Quote:
i'm serious when it comes to real guns. i've owned over 20 of them. since like 1995 i got into target shooting.
you've been owning and shooting firearms for 20 years and you still don't know about basic concepts like establishing an accuracy baseline and proper shooting distances? something does not sound right.
Quote:
there is tons of woods behind that feild i was shooting at.
woods do not constitute a backdrop. depending on how thick the woods are and how thick the trees are, the bullet could still pass up to a few hundred yards past the treeline before being stopped, if there is a road on the other side of those woods, or homes, or livestock, that is not a proper backdrop. now if you're shooting into wilderness, that's not a huge concern, but the 3rd rule of firearms safety dictates that you be sure of your target and everything beyond.

Quote:
i was just telling you the experience i had with fake m4s. one in the video game and the airsoft one i had.
that is all well and good but there are times and places for such things. this is not an airsoft forum. there are many here, myself included, that regard airsoft as a toy, not even remotely similar enough to be considered a training aid. same with videogames, they have no place in actual firearms application(this coming from a fellow gamer), firearms use is no laughing matter. safety is a serious concern at all times.

one suggestion I might also make, you don't have to respond 1 sentence at a time and make a new post for every reference. it kind of clutter's up the board to have 25 posts with very little being said. there is a "quote" which allows you to cut and paste a user's questions or comments and allows you to logically split a post into Q&A type banter, without having to make 5 separate posts at a time.
Old October 30, 2014, 09:39 AM   #29
Fishbed77

Quote:
that was out of my price range. there is tons of woods behind that feild i was shooting at.
"Woods" do not constitute an adequate backstop for shooting.

What if a person (say, a conservation officer) is walking those woods? You are responsible for every bullet that leaves the muzzle of your firearm and you must know where it will end up.

There is a definite immaturity in these posts that needs to be addressed.

Last edited by Fishbed77; October 30, 2014 at 10:50 AM.
Old October 30, 2014, 09:55 AM   #30
Oysterboy

Remember this mate, every bullet has a lawyer on it.
Old October 30, 2014, 02:21 PM   #31
Dirty_Harry

^^^He prefers you to PM him.....

Sorry.

In all seriousness, I have never had an AR-15 minus one that I didnt have to adjust the irons on. Adjusting the front sight with a bullet, was annoying to me. Enough so I spent the money on one of these:
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/860...prong-a2-ar-15

Super nice and easy to use.

The fact that it is shooting to the right could be your trigger control as well. Stock AR-15's usually have heavier single stage triggers.

Also, you should find a better backstop. Are there no ranges closing to you?

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I expect the same from them." -John Wayne
Old October 30, 2014, 04:37 PM   #32
xboxhero

i can't delete this

i can't delete this.

Last edited by xboxhero; October 30, 2014 at 07:56 PM.
Old October 30, 2014, 04:38 PM   #33
xboxhero

that tool may not fit

that tool may not fit on my front sight. but thanks for the link anyways.
Old October 30, 2014, 05:50 PM   #34
Glockstar .40

Quote:
xboxhero it is where hunters go. where i tried to shoot that pop can at. there was a road after the woods but it was a block or more away. i will just go to the shooting range from now on. i don't need you guys nagging me. lmao.
If it's where hunters go than there is a chance that someone is in those woods. So like others have said that is inadequate for a backdrop. Also a block away isn't that far. a bullet will travel more than that distance easily.

Shooting is very fun but needs to be done with maturity and safety as it can cause serious harm to others or yourself. I suggest finding a safer place to shoot.
Old October 30, 2014, 07:24 PM   #35
tahunua001

if you do not wish to be nagged over serious safety and mindset problems, then you are in the wrong forum, Bub. we police each other, we don't tolerate irresponsibility. all it takes is a simple google search to bring these threads to light and all it takes is an anti gun campaign to find someone claiming they don't need anyone else nagging them about safety to start a campaign for banning weapons from use in certain areas because of documented irresponsible use and safety violations on the part of people like you. I'm not trying to badger you or bully you, but you need to think long and hard about the responsibility on your shoulders and think long and hard about what you are doing and advocating with your posts. I also doubt you are laughing your "a" off but the abbreviation of such does not circumvent the anti profanity rules here on these boards. perhaps you should read the rules section.
Old October 31, 2014, 07:13 AM   #36
marine6680

Remember, we like new members and welcome them... But we try to make sure they start off right.

Safety being important...

Stick around and you will learn a lot. Possibly unlearn bad habits or myths you pick up through the years.
Old October 31, 2014, 10:45 AM   #37
Indi

Xboxhero are you in the oklahoma area?
Old October 31, 2014, 02:05 PM   #38
xboxhero

Xboxhero are you in the oklahoma area?

no. i'm in northwest,indiana. around 55 miles or so away from downtown chicago. basically i'm in a suburb. we get chicago tv and radio stations here.
Old October 31, 2014, 02:21 PM   #39
Indi

Ok then never mind. If you were in oklahoma i was going to invite you to go shooting with me. I have several ar's and supressors that you would enjoy shooting. I moved from Chicago in 2010. The only catch would off been that you have to deal with my nagging about safety. Good luck on figuring out your irons or less say figuring out your AR. Just be safe and extra safe when handling your firearms. I would also recommend on getting some type of training from a instructor. I recently took a pistol class that cost $400.00 and let me tell you it was worth every penny! Good luck.
Old October 31, 2014, 02:32 PM   #40
HKFan9

I also am doubting you owning 20 different guns for years if you don't grasp concepts of safety and fundamental sight in issues. You create a name like xboxhero... and tell us you no longer play video games... seems odd too.

You have no need to lie or cover up stuff, I play videogames all the time, I used to play paintball and airsoft as well. The issue lies in that they are not comparable to real guns.

If you want help doing something or understanding something just ask, generally people will rather help someone who admits they know nothing, than to try to adress someone who's acting like a clown.
Old October 31, 2014, 02:38 PM   #41
xboxhero

I also am doubting you owning 20 different guns for years if you don't grasp concepts

whatever. i'm not gonna argue with you. the name someone called me in the gun cabinet 1 chat room on yahoo chat rooms was xboxhero. it was funny is why i used it for this. i swear to god i've owned over 20 guns in the past. sounds to me you're jealous hk.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:21 PM   #42
BigBL87

I don't think it has anything to do with jealousy. I've owned firearms for less than a year and even I noticed the issues people have brought up in this thread. I believe you may have owned guns for many years, but that doesn't mean you aren't making some major mistakes when it comes to gun safety.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:29 PM   #43
HKFan9

Jealous of what exactly? Being immature? or that fact that you own what? two firearms? That you seem to not know how to operate properly or safely?

I was trying to give you addvice based on your lack of understand of simple concepts such as sighting in a rifle and typing like an adult on an online form, both you seem to not grasp, and you deduce to childish remarks?

I work with firearms daily, and I get a lot of customer that sound like you. Looking for the guns they used in Call of Duty or Battlefield, with no real working knowledge of them. Fine things when handled maturely and safely, but you demonstated otherwise with your lack of comprehension. I only hope you dont hurt someone else by acting like a fool.
Old October 31, 2014, 03:44 PM   #44
xboxhero

Jealous of what exactly? Being immature? or that fact that you own what? two firearms

really? you are a gunsmith? well atleast you got good taste in liking heckler and koch firearms. ha , ha. no the fact that i owned so many before.
Old October 31, 2014, 04:04 PM   #45
tahunua001

HKfan9 and I don't always agree on certain matters, but he has way more experience with AR15s than 95% of the members on this board, myself included. he knows his stuff and a person would do well to at least consider the advice and information he puts out.
Old October 31, 2014, 04:04 PM   #46
HKFan9

I work for our smiths, I am not one of them. You can build an AR on your kitchen table with your eyes closed with a handful of tools.

Jealous you owned so many yet think a $900 AR is too much money? By the way you act and type I'd say you are fresh out of high school. As for being jealous of you owning many guns.... I work for a gun shop.... which means I am able to buy them at cost, and certain companies buy them below cost on pro-staff orders.... not to mention a lot of times we are rewarded them for free from competitions.. gifts.. and programs such as the Ruger 4R program. I got 4 free firearms from Ruger this past year for selling them. Funny thing about this board is its full of people who know what they are doing.. who are mature about what they are doing.. and are extremely knowledgable in what they do. It's a great resource, specially for someone looking to learn. You have not displayed such desire.

Sorry no jealously here, I have probably bought more guns in a month or two than you have in your "20+ years" yet can't sight in a rifle at 20 yards.

Tah.... whats the fun in agreeing all the time
Old October 31, 2014, 04:10 PM   #47
tahunua001

Quote:
Tah.... whats the fun in agreeing all the time
not much, my post count would be way lower if there was not disagreement
Old October 31, 2014, 04:35 PM   #48
HKFan9

Ha, yea you have me beat, and even joined way after me! Guess I've been slacking
Old October 31, 2014, 04:38 PM   #49
tahunua001

no I just have no life.
Old October 31, 2014, 05:47 PM   #50
dayman

No reason to be rude.
But, it would probably be a good idea to take a rifle class if you want to get serious about shooting. Or really of you intend to shoot at all.

I grew up shooting, and it's been about my only continuous hobby/interest throughout my life.
I live on the back end of a dead end dirt road and have enough land that I can do all the shooting I want whenever I want. I have my own 100yd range, and can get out to 500 at my cousins farm.
Until recently if never taken any classes other than the joke required to get a cc permit, and hunters safety when I was like 10. I never saw the need.
But then - in part because of discussions I read/had here - I took my first class a year or so ago, and got hooked.
I got far more out of it than I thought, and wound up improving my skills across the board.

Taking a class is a great way to brush up on skills/safety, and to meet people with at least one interest in common.
It also doesn't have to be that expensive.
The classes I've taken have been between $100 and $150 for a day of instruction.
I stopped buying coffee on my way to work, and I can take a class every couple months with the savings.