The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 4, 2012, 10:45 AM   #1
papadork

Rough Rider 22LR

Hello All,

Gander Mountain has a Rough Rider 22LR on sale for $180.00. Is this gun any good? I realize it's probably not great quality, just as long as it's not total junk.

Thanks.
Old November 4, 2012, 10:59 AM   #2
MakarovFan

I bought mine a year age for approx 150. I really think for the money it is well worth it. It came with the magnum cylinder also.

It makes the trip to the club when I want a day of fun plinking, also carry it when I am working around the club property.
I plan on letting my grandson use it in the next couple of years when he reaches of age.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:01 AM   #3
Microgunner

They're not very refined but appear to work pretty well.

Lots of fun on a budget.
Old November 4, 2012, 11:02 AM   #4
Cheapshooter

I am very happy with the RR I got a couple years ago. It has been accurate, although it did need a little "help" to ge to point of aim. There will be detractors mentioning the frame material being ZAMAC. they will call it pot metal, but it is actually a zinc, aluminum, magnesium alloy, and is used in other firearms as well as automotive and aerospace products.
Looking at the on-line add it appears that at this price it is the 22 rimfire only model, not the convertible with the extra 22 WMR cylinder. To me that really isn't a big thing. I have only shot my RR with the magnum rounds a couple times, and don't really see the need.
The Rough Rider is by no way a Ruger, but it will provide a lot of shooting fun for half the price!
Cheapshooter's rules of gun ownership #1: NEVER SELL OR TRADE ANYTHING!
Old November 4, 2012, 11:27 AM   #5
papadork

Thanks guys, sounds good. Off to GM.
Old November 4, 2012, 12:53 PM   #6
papadork

Just got back from GM. I got both the .22LR and WMR cylinders for $179.00. Will this gun handle WMR+V? The documentaion doesn't say anything about this potent round.

Last edited by papadork; November 4, 2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old November 4, 2012, 01:24 PM   #7
YARDDOG(1)

Got mine for $109 six years ago, Fixed sights shot to the right but grouped well @ 15-20 Yards ; )

Y/D
Old November 4, 2012, 07:04 PM   #8
bedbugbilly

I have a RR with a 4 3/4" barrel - just have the LR cylinder. I love it! It's a great plinker and for the money, a great value. I think you'll enjoy yours. I have Colts, S & Ws and Rugers - all great guns but the RR has a permanent place in my range bag and goes with me every time. A lot of fun and goes well with my Henry lever action 22.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 5, 2012, 08:28 PM   #9
absolute0

They look a little rough (pun intended) but the guys who have them seem to love 'em. Good serviceable little .22 for the money from the looks of it
Old November 6, 2012, 12:20 AM   #10
rclark

Quote:
Will this gun handle WMR+V?
Personally I wouldn't shoot a lot of the .22Mag in 'em. Just doesn't seem like it is really built for it. All I shoot is .22LR in mine. Of course that is just my opinion .
A clinger and deplorable, MAGA, and life NRA member. When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns. Single Action .45 Colt (Sometimes colloquially referred to by its alias as the .45 'Long' Colt or .45LC). Don't leave home without it. That said, the .44Spec is right up their too... but the .45 Colt is still the king.
Old November 6, 2012, 01:07 AM   #11
Cheapshooter

Quote:
Just got back from GM. I got both the .22LR and WMR cylinders for $179.00.
Great price.Mine was right around $200 with both cylinders, nylon holster, ans wooden Civil War display box a couple years ago.

As far as the +V ammo I think they reach the higher velocity via a lighter bullet. I'm not sure if the chamber pressure is any higher. As I said earlier I very seldom use the magnum cylinder because for my use I see no advantage of shooting the much higher priced ammo. Good quality Long rifle does jut fine. In fact, even the cheap-o Remington Golden Bbullet bulk 550 boxes from Wally World shoot great!(bottom, right)
(others top left clockwise Aguila Super Max, CCI Velocitor, RGB, and Federal American eagle)

Old November 6, 2012, 02:33 AM   #12
Cheapshooter

Oh, and by the way I forgot to mention. Don't forget that goofy, one of a kind safety opposite the loading gate. That thing drives me nuts when I forget it. Revolvers don't have a safety!
Old November 8, 2012, 10:33 AM   #13
jtb1967

The workmanship isn't great, but you can't expect it to be a Ruger Single Six for the price.
Old November 8, 2012, 10:43 PM   #14
jmfc606

One other thing. They are great with customer service. I had one that had a problem with it, my young son maybe 14 at the time decided to take it apart and fix it with out my knowledge. To make a long story short I mailed the gun back to them in many pieces with a note on what happened. They found the problem (broken pawl) and returned the gun good as new and all put back together. I had mailed the gun out on a Monday and had it back by Saturday. They did all this for NO CHARGE and even put a note in the box for my son that when he is alittle older and wants to work on guns to give them a call and maybe he could get a job with them. They noticed he had used the correct scewdrivers when he took it apart and didn't bugger any screws so they figured he knew enough to do that at 14 maybe he'll turn into a gunsmith. Heritage is A++ in my book and I wouldn't hesitate to buy another.
Old November 9, 2012, 12:12 AM   #15
bonefamily

^^ Cool story!
Old November 9, 2012, 10:15 AM   #16
22-rimfire

Joe C; Great story about home gunsmithing. I had a similar experience when I was in my teens.
Old November 9, 2012, 10:19 AM   #17
aarmel732

I have a Rough Rider with the 22lr / wmr cylinders and a 4.5 barrel with a birds head grip. So far, it is a wonderful gun. Reliable, accurate, and cheap to shoot. Sure, the fit and finish is not great, but when I leave the range, I am smiling. And that is what this hobby is all about for me.
Old November 14, 2012, 10:21 AM   #18
newfrontier45

They are the cheapest-made revolver currently produced. Pot metal frames, spray on finishes, rough actions, goofy safety, plastic ejector, glued in barrels, very low grade steels, etc.. Save your money, buy a Ruger.
Old November 16, 2012, 04:33 PM   #19
DeepEastKilla

You Get What You Pay For

I bought my 6 1/2" model a while back knowing full well it was a very cheap revolver. To me, at this point in the game spending $400+ on a single action 22 revolver wasnt something I was willing to do, no matter how long it will last.

Now considering that I have broken the cylinder hand spring, not once, but twice within a year. The first time due to an uneducated handler attempting to spin the cylinder like it was a double action gun and the second time a week ago during standard shooting.

If you want something to carry with you every day when you go out in the woods or just need something you can depend on working when you need it, spend the coin on a single six. If you want a decent 22 single action revolver for range use and going out in the field once in a while, the Rough Rider will probably serve you just fine.
Old November 16, 2012, 09:31 PM   #20
bedbugbilly

papadork - by now, you've probably already either purchased a Heritage RR or you haven't. Obviously, there are some that don't like 'em . . . and that's fine . . . we all have different tastes. My suggestion is that if you are interested in one . . . go and look at it, handle it and see for yourself if one of them is "for you". I'm always amazed at the comments about "pot metal", plastic, etc. If a person uses those to "rule out" firearms . . . then he is pretty much limiting himself to "vintage" guns. My Henry has a Zamac receiver cover . . . works fine and is a great little shooter . . . if plastic rules out a gun . . then the popular Ruger 10/22 should probably be considered "junk" as well. Mine works just fine.

The Heritage RR is a reasonably priced SA 22 . . . a great little plinker. Mine shoots well, is accurate and a fun gun . . . and I own six Ruger handguns, two Colts and a S & W. Yes, a single six is a better quality gun . . . but even used it will cost you about twice the price of what the RR on sale is.

No, if you treat 'em like you're a wild west shooter and try fanning 'em, etc. . . they probably won't hold up . . . but neither will a lot of the better quality guns as well. If you use one correctly, it shouldn't give you any problems . . . if you have a problem, Heritage has good customer service. It all depends on what you're looking for . . . your budget . . . and what you like best.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old November 16, 2012, 09:37 PM   #21
Denezin

I couldnt get a good grouping at 10 feet with 22lr but the chambers were poor standard in my opinion for the 22lr. Now when it came to the 22 mag it was pretty accurate and the chambers were correct in that one wasnt tighter than the other by a big difference. The trigger sucked the first 2k rounds but after that it smoothed out but has about 1/4th inch creep. Now bad for 150 bucks but if you want what you pay for step up to something else.
Old November 17, 2012, 12:08 AM   #22
9mm

Taurus took over the company, thread floating around here somewhere about it. I heard nothing but good things from these guns. Don't except it to last 30+ years like a Ruger Single Six.
Old November 17, 2012, 01:11 PM   #23
weblance

Quote:
I'm always amazed at the comments about "pot metal", plastic, etc. If a person uses those to "rule out" firearms . . . then he is pretty much limiting himself to "vintage" guns.
This is simply not true. While polymers have their place, and I dont have a problem with that, there are many, many new guns still available that are traditional wood, and metal. They are not the cheapest guns in a manufacturers catalog, but saying that that level of manufacturing is gone, is simply not correct.
Old November 17, 2012, 08:09 PM   #24
Master Blaster 2

You know we are talking about a Taurus gun under $200 gun...you get what you pay for. Kinda
like a H-Point. Shoots great and a budget price.
Old November 20, 2012, 03:29 PM   #25
MrAcheson

Own one. Doesn't group it patterns. Sights stink. Frame is soft and being chewed up by the cylinder star. This is creating cylinder shake. Wish I hadn't bought it.