The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Closed Thread

Old December 4, 2015, 10:43 PM   #1
lebyrn2

Stocking up on Components?

Due to the recent political climate and possibility of increased gun control, do we think the next thing liberals will go for is ammunition?

I'm not talking about serial stamping each munition but making it more difficult to get either ammunition or the components.

Since I reload my own ammunition, stocking up on factory ammunition isn't a high priority. However if I wanted to begin stocking up on components, which would make more sense? Primers, powder or bullets? Stated another way, which would be easier for the leftist to tax or make more difficult to get?
Old December 4, 2015, 11:11 PM   #2
Bongo Boy

We can only speculate, I suppose. I think it will be pretty much like the scene from Monty Python and the Holy Grail where they are using 'logic' to identify witches. If it's firearms-related in any way, or not, and it happens during any one of the newsworthy crimes involving whack-jobs and guns of the past few years, it will be 'addressed' in legislation. Ammo limits, purchases over the internet, the 'style' of firearm (you know, if it has a handle, or a military looking thingie on the muzzle, or is black).

I would put money on attempts to prohibit online sales of almost anything, and on an outright 'assault rifle' ban...again.

Magazines will be limited to 2 rounds.

Naturally I could be totally wrong, but regardless, I don't see stuff getting any easier to acquire. I see no point in 'stockpiling', though. The flurry of new law will ensure our safety from armed nut-cases.

Last edited by Bongo Boy; December 5, 2015 at 12:00 AM.
Old December 5, 2015, 12:34 AM   #3
54 guns

I have been stocking up since Clinton was president. I keep my stock more or less even, enough primers and powder to send all my bullets down range. Not any reason to have 20K primers and only 5K bullets and/or 2 lb of powder. No mater what they go after I will keep shooting. Keep enough components to shoot longer than any shortage will last.
Old December 5, 2015, 07:52 AM   #4
John D

Wow....a 7 year old thread that gets revived. Seems like the same concerns are in place. Like most reloaders (I think), I keep an adequate supply of components on hand. I seriously doubt that our relatively obscure pastime is going to come under focus of gun control advocates. The only concern I have is that large quantities of gunpowder might be restricted (i.e., making homemade bombs).
Old December 5, 2015, 08:00 AM   #5
AzShooter

The only thing that has changed is the cost of supplies. Buy now and keep plenty in stock. I wish I would have bought more .22s when they were cheap. Now I'm finding I can reload 9mm cheaper than I can buy .22s and I have plenty of lead, cases and primers for my 9s and .38s.
Old December 5, 2015, 08:27 AM   #6
Road_Clam

I only started handloading back in 2012 dam glad I did. Ive been planning for the big storm ever since. I buy reloading components in small weekly purchases as my finances allow. Im positioned to be able to load about 23k rounds. Adequate inventory to see me through the worst "panic". Ive created gun panic "independance", and its working. I visited two of my lgs's right after San Bernardino and both were in a state of mild buying panic.however the reloading component section of the stores were both calm and well stocked. I do recall a buddy of mine describind a bad primer scare back in the very late 80's so my guess is for the first reloading component to dissapear amidst panic would be primers, a close second would be powder.
Old December 5, 2015, 10:09 AM   #7
jmorris

Next thing? They have already gone after ammunition and will continue to do so, sure as they will keep after guns as well.
Old December 5, 2015, 10:39 AM   #8
mikejonestkd

I started dabbling in reloading about 10 years ago, but really got into it about 5 years ago. I used to be content to have a few pounds of powder and a few thousand primers on hand any time. I probably never had more than a enough components for more than a thousand rounds of all the cartridges I reload for.

Now, since the combo of the Sandy Hook tragedy, and the NYS SAFE act, I buy all I can and store it for a rainy day. I am determined to not get caught short again.
Old December 5, 2015, 06:16 PM   #9
BigJimP

I've been reloading for well over 40 yrs...( off an on )...and while political climates come and go...the biggest risk to a shortage of reloading components, in my view, is hoarding or overreacting to current events.

Personally, I think you should stock based on your annual usage...if you shoot an average of 4 boxes a week ( of handgun ammo ) then stock components for about 10,000 rds ( or what you'd use in a year ). Beyond that ...I think, would be adding to the problem of creating an artificial shortage by hoarding.

None of us knows what may happen...but I seriously doubt there will be any additional regulations or restrictions coming up on ammo or reloading components / but right now companies like Hodgdon are still having a hard time keeping up with current demand - and I don't want to see us make it worse for no reason.
Old December 5, 2015, 10:21 PM   #10
Jeffm004

10,000 is a good start. At 6 grn that is about 10# of powder. I am nowhere close in powder.
Old December 6, 2015, 01:05 AM   #11
bluetopper

I thought people have been panic buying and stocking up on reloading components for 8 years now.
Old December 6, 2015, 01:26 AM   #12
JohnKSa
Staff

The best time to stock up on components is when the prices are low and availability is high.

If you have the means to stock up then do so. No need to ask for advice on whether it's a good time. Any time you can is always a good time.

What should you buy? Whatever you can't do without. Not because it's going to be illegal or taxed soon but because the next time there's a panic it will ALL get hard to find.

How much do you need? Look at the longest shortage and figure how much you would have needed to make it through that shortage. Then increase it by 50% in case the next one is longer than the longest one so far.