The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old August 2, 2013, 03:42 PM   #1
SC4006

What can I expect from a "service grade' CMP Garand?

Hello, pretty soon i'll be buying myself a H&R service grade M1 Garand from the CMP, and I want to know what I can expect as far as just the overall quality of the rifle. They do give a description of the grades of rifles they sell of course, but I want to know from people who actually have bought a service grade M1 from the CMP. I am mostly interested in knowing how the finish on stock of the rifle will be. Will it be kinda sloppy like the "finish" on a mosin nagant, or will it actually look nice? (My definition of a nice finish would be no blotchiness, minimal chipping, and overall a nice even tone.) Thanks guys.

They say 5 out of 4 people are bad at math.

Last edited by SC4006; August 3, 2013 at 02:03 PM.
Old August 2, 2013, 03:47 PM   #2
Melkiper

I am also very interested in this. Im getting 700 bonus in 6 months time! haha so 3 months from today, Im putting my order in!
Old August 2, 2013, 04:41 PM   #3
velillen

Re: What can I expect from a "service grade' CMP Garand?

Check the cmp forums. The m1 garland section has tons of pics of the h&r garlands people have been receiving
Old August 2, 2013, 05:33 PM   #4
fileophile

CMP rarely disappoints

Usually you will be pleasantly surprised with the CMP offerings. I always have been (but I read the descriptions of each grade beforehand also.)
Old August 2, 2013, 06:45 PM   #5
Coach Z

My CMP garand far exceeded my expectations, order whatever is in your price range and don't worry too much about it. They do a fantastic job.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:32 PM   #6
Pineknot

You won't be disappointed, when you order also order some HXP ammo and enblocs (clips) from the E-store. They are having quite a wait at this time.
Old August 2, 2013, 08:34 PM   #7
bipe215

Love my H&R. Got it a couple of months ago. Good shooter. Loves 168 gr SMK's.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (260.3 KB, 58 views)
Old August 2, 2013, 09:36 PM   #8
SC4006

Cool, so it looks like i'll be getting a pretty fine rifle! Thanks for that picture bipe215, that's exactly what I was hoping to get out of a service grade M1.

Old August 2, 2013, 09:48 PM   #9
Fishbed77

I don't have a Service Grade H&R, but I do have this Service Grade Springfield (1944 receiver with a like-new 1954 Springfield barrel and new CMP black walnut stock) I received from the CMP last year.

As you can see, the finish of a Service Grade CMP M1 pretty much blows away any Mosin Nagant.

Old August 3, 2013, 12:02 AM   #10
tahunua001

you can expect what they put in their description. it will be shootable and the wood may be in any condition from pristine to banged up with bayonet gouges to brand new walnut stock depending on how serviceable the stock it sat in for 70 years was when they got it.

my service grade came with almost perfect wood but it was a loaner rifle and the greeks gouged out all the proofs and cartouches with a circular implement(or at least that's the nearest explanation I can get for it is). I have seen a number of guys get almost brand new barrels in theirs that barely register any wear at all but mine has a pretty worn chamber and not so bad muzzle. is the gamble worth $650? heck yes it is, no matter how bad it is your service grade will still be in better condition than the beaters that show up at your local pawnshops from time to time for $1000+.
Old August 3, 2013, 12:27 AM   #11
SHE3PDOG

I actually just sent in my order for one earlier this week. My expectations aren't super high, but the CMP's prices are so good that even if it's a beater, I can resell it for my money back.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 3, 2013, 02:11 PM   #12
SC4006

That's a beautiful rifle Fishbed77! It sure does look waaay better than any mosin nagant stock I've ever seen in a gun shop. And thanks as always for your input tahunua, I agree I think I'll get a pretty nice M1 for $650, I've seen some pretty beat up M1's here in NH going for around $1200...

Old August 3, 2013, 07:38 PM   #13
Orlando

Carefully read the grade description and expect to get exactly that, anything better and it will be a bonus.
If you expect to get cherry examples of what people post pics of you may be dissapointed
Old August 4, 2013, 10:06 AM   #14
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orlando
Carefully read the grade description and expect to get exactly that, anything better and it will be a bonus.
If you expect to get cherry examples of what people post pics of you may be dissapointed
Very good advice. The wood on mine was much darker than I would have liked, but that's really my only beef. Keep in mind you are getting an awesome rifle infused with history. Actually carried and used by the folks that helped keep it possible for you to own it. I am resisting the urge to wax rhapsodic, as it is too early in the morning for such things. Get it. You will love it. Hell, it's your duty as an American to own one!
Old August 4, 2013, 03:03 PM   #15
SC4006

Ok, so looks like i'll just wait and see what I get!

Quote:
Keep in mind you are getting an awesome rifle infused with history.
Yeah, I guess no matter what the rifle I receive looks like cosmetically, its still a beautiful rifle because of the rich history. I think from what i've been told, even at its worst it can't look TOO bad.

Partly why I want one actually is because i'll be an infantry soldier for the National Guard soon, so I want the rifle that infantrymen in WWII would have carried.

Old August 4, 2013, 07:34 PM   #16
tahunua001

Quote:
Partly why I want one actually is because i'll be an infantry soldier for the National Guard soon, so I want the rifle that infantrymen in WWII would have carried.
that's how it starts...
then during basic training you'll be training with the M4/16 and the instructor will tell you that the stoner design is the greatest infantry weapon design of all time(in my opinion it's pretty darn close) so you'll rush out as soon as you graduate and get an AR15.

then you'll think that since you have WWII-vietnam in your collection you may as well get a springfield 1903 and add WWI to the collection. then you'll need a handgun and naturally the M9 is familiar so that one goes into the pot.

the next thing you know you will have an M1A(closest thing to an M14 you can get), 1911, 1917 and an M1 carbine and have a 1903A4 sniper reproduction on order to complete your collection and carry on the infantry tradition...

it's an expensive addiction but still fun non-the-less.
Old August 4, 2013, 08:19 PM   #17
P5 Guy

I have purchased four rifles from the CMP thru the years. A brand new Kimber 82G. A CG-SA which came fairly greasy but cleaned up nicely, a SG-SA which came with very dry wood, I used a pint of BLO on that one and a heavily greased and dirty 1903A3 that after days of work uncovering a perfect stock with fully visible inspection cartouches.
I can safely say that the SG-HRA will, with a bit of cleaning, be an impressive rifle even the most obsessive will be proud of, remember this is a rifle that has been in storage for decades.
Old August 5, 2013, 04:02 PM   #18
SC4006

Tahunua, that is exactly what I expect to happen haha. It is fun collecting guns, especially the old ones. I've already been wanting an AR15 and an M9 or 92 for a while, I just haven't had the money.

Old August 5, 2013, 09:28 PM   #19
tahunua001

ARs are fun and I love the two I have to death, I'm considering taking both out for deer season this year. I love collecting and am actually getting rather happy with my WWI-WWII collection. not nearly as large as some but I have something from every major player except italy(don't really like the carcano but maybe some day I will compromise and get an arisaka type I).

the M9 is a bit overrated though in my opinion. I didn't like it very much. as much as I hate saying this phrase, perhaps a taurus PT92 may be better. it's a cheap M9 clone but they put the safety on the frame instead of the slide so it's easier to reach and since it's up and down instead of rotating it's a more natural movement. the only problem I have with it is that it's a taurus... not that this really belongs in the rifle forums...
Old August 6, 2013, 12:12 AM   #20
SHE3PDOG

Quote:
that's how it starts...
then during basic training you'll be training with the M4/16 and the instructor will tell you that the stoner design is the greatest infantry weapon design of all time(in my opinion it's pretty darn close) so you'll rush out as soon as you graduate and get an AR15.

then you'll think that since you have WWII-vietnam in your collection you may as well get a springfield 1903 and add WWI to the collection. then you'll need a handgun and naturally the M9 is familiar so that one goes into the pot.

the next thing you know you will have an M1A(closest thing to an M14 you can get), 1911, 1917 and an M1 carbine and have a 1903A4 sniper reproduction on order to complete your collection and carry on the infantry tradition...

it's an expensive addiction but still fun non-the-less.
That sounds a lot like what I'm doing. I picked up a 1903 because of its historical value, then started collecting milsurp because of how much they fascinate me. Now, I'm finally building my first modern rifle an AR15.

Heed his words, they are so true. I really don't think you'll be disappointed with the rifle though.

Marine, NRA member, SAF Defender's Club member, and constitutionally protected keeper and bearer of firearms
Old August 8, 2013, 11:34 AM   #21
jimmythegeek

You can always buy a pretty stock

I got a service grade Springfield M1, and the stock is a little beat up and dark. I could refinish it, but I feel that would be like putting mascara on Chesty Puller.

I'm not in it as a collector but if that factors in for you, leave the finish alone. You can't add 70 years back on.
Old August 8, 2013, 02:25 PM   #22
Fishbed77

Quote:
I could refinish it, but I feel that would be like putting mascara on Chesty Puller.

I'm not in it as a collector but if that factors in for you, leave the finish alone. You can't add 70 years back on.
If you take a look at the CMP Garand forum, there are photos posted of some stocks that were really turned around with a little TLC.

Since Service Grades are likely to be mixmasters (not technically a bad thing, since that is part of the history of these rifles that often went through the arsenal process) refinishing them isn't necessarily going to hurt the value, unless you have a desirable stock cartouche or nifty trench art.
Old August 8, 2013, 07:41 PM   #23
tahunua001

or unless your idea of refurbishign is chrome plating and slapping on an ATI stock
Old August 8, 2013, 11:48 PM   #24
Fishbed77

Quote:
or unless your idea of refurbishign is chrome plating and slapping on an ATI stock
Indeed! A Garand deserves much better than that!
Old August 9, 2013, 12:57 AM   #25
9mmfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by tahuna001
...chrome plating and slapping on an ATI stock
But... Just... Um... NO!

Just thinking about that puts me in a salty mood.