The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Curios and Relics

Old January 18, 2013, 08:07 AM   #1
BoogieMan

Mauser identity

I mentioned this on another thread. So as not to high-jack the thread here it is.
I will get a better pic later. I only had a PAS camera handy.

Some other markings

I was under the impression that this was a Belgium Mauser. It has been sporterized to 30-06 and is a very nice shooter.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 18, 2013, 12:15 PM   #2
Scorch

Yes, Belgian Mauser.
Old January 18, 2013, 01:26 PM   #3
PetahW

IIRC, the "L" honors the Belgian king: Leopold II.

Old January 18, 2013, 04:56 PM   #4
BoogieMan

Thanks guys. Sounds like a pretty positive ID from a pretty poor pic (sorry). Here is the whole rifle. Any idea of value. Its 30-06 chambered. Blueing worn around bolt and receiver but otherwise pretty good shape. It will never be for sale, but im curious.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 19, 2013, 12:57 AM   #5
Scorch

Your rifle has been sporterized (sometime in the 50s from the look of the scope), therefore it falls into the category of sporterized military Mausers, and current prices are about $350-$550-ish. In 30-06, probably towards the lower number.
Old January 19, 2013, 01:56 AM   #6
tahunua001

I kindof agree with scorch however I would like to point out that a lot of the work is very well done, very nice stock(probably cost a pretty penny in the 50/60s), good bluing, flip up sights... overall a very skillfully done job. I would like to point out though that even though I like paracord and have 2 rifles with paracord slings on them, in your case it does not do the rifle justice...
Old January 19, 2013, 05:17 AM   #7
PzGren

Does the reciever have the thumbhole for the stripper clips or is it a commercial receiver?

I found commercial FN made K98 actions to be very smooth.
Old January 19, 2013, 07:37 AM   #8
BoogieMan

I agree with you on the paracord sling. My son made it for me and grabbed the rings off of the mauser thinking they are all the same. Most of my sling clips are the standard pin type. This one has a quick release with a ball detentes. Kind of like a QR hose connector. The orange looks bad in the pick..

I am not sure what you mean by the thumb cutout. On the left side of the action there is a section of the receiver cutout. If you notice the SS pin in front of the trigger guard my father made a quick release to drop the magazine bottom. That way you dont have to cycle the unused cartridges out.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 19, 2013, 07:38 AM   #9
BoogieMan

I have thought about a stock refinish or at least some light sanding and re-oil. It definitely needs to wear some new glass. The old weaver is terrible.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown
Old January 19, 2013, 08:08 AM   #10
Keg

I could see this gun taking on a whole new look....a new scope..stock refinish..refreshed checkering..and of course different sling and swivels....Anyway JMO....
Old January 21, 2013, 04:39 PM   #11
Willie Sutton

^^^ I disagree.

It has the patina of use... leave her be. Looks like a quality job. Why try to make it look newer?

Is the scope mount a detachable side mount? Looks like it might be the (very high quality) Griffin and Howe, which would speak to "expensive" in it's day.

It looks like a nice shooter. These were originally .30-06 in military service, BTW. Immediate Post WW-II and manufactured by FN, used as an interim rifle just as the FN-49 was being entered into service and the FAL was on the drawing board. It's a quality sporter built on a very high quality platform. "Someone" spent some money on it to have it built.

Willie

Last edited by Willie Sutton; January 21, 2013 at 04:45 PM.
Old January 21, 2013, 05:53 PM   #12
mapsjanhere

While there were Crown-over-L marked Belgian 98's in 30-06, according to Ball's "Military Mausers of the World" those had a notched receiver ring to accommodate the 30-06. Combined with the lack of Belgian proof marks on the barrel I'd say it was a standard 7.65 Belgian reworked in the US after the war; unless someone saw the need to take the pretty unused FN 30-06 barrel and replaced it with a sporter contour barrel.
Old January 22, 2013, 12:02 PM   #13
Willie Sutton

^^ You are right.

I looked at my ABL (Armee Belgique LeGuerre, IE: Post Leopold) marked post WW-II FN manufactured .30-06 and it features the small notch for cartridge length clearance when loading stripper clips. Good eyes on the photos. You're dead on.

Willie

Old January 22, 2013, 01:41 PM   #14
BoogieMan

I did a thorough cleaning and realized the bolt does not have matching numbers. Also found the nazi eagle on the bolt handle. Under the echo (side mount) scope mount I found very clear Fab. National markings. I will post up some new pics later. Gun is very interesting (to me) if nothing else. I really appreciate the research and help you guys are providing.
Your tactics suck"
- Unknown