The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old April 24, 2011, 09:12 PM   #26
mnero

One thing is for sure, Ray takes his business very seriously. If I decide to purchase one of these cool .45s I know where to go.
Old April 24, 2011, 09:43 PM   #27
BerdanSS

RJR

Welcome Sir,
I am very happy with my pistol, just lamenting about the beveled cylinder is all. But no big deal, you guys were great. I placed my order on Wednesday and picked it up at my FFL on Friday Once again, great service. I will say, my FFL was a little sore at me after they found out I got a NIB Cattleman NM for $250...when they are selling them for $429 I was always leery about buying on gunbroker, or buying a pistol I couldn't see, hold or leave with after I paid for it. You guys at Tanners Sport Center have put that worry to rest. I will likely look you guys up when the time comes for my next purchase.

I hope you don't mind that I had posted the deal you guys are running on these pistols in the "BP/cowboy action for sale" adds on this site. I just figured since you were offing such a good deal on them, some other guys on here may want to know. That and I figured the least I could do is send some business your way.
Old April 25, 2011, 04:22 PM   #28
The Terminator

oops! sorry. meant to start a new thread.
John 3:16 (I hope to see You over there.)
Old April 26, 2011, 04:56 AM   #29
Bill Akins

Ray Tanner e mailed me that my Hombres have been shipped and are on their way. Eagerly awaiting them just like a kid a few days before Christmas.

Thanks again BerdanSS for telling us about the great deal/price on these revolvers.

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old April 26, 2011, 11:52 AM   #30
hongrn

Quote:
Hombres?
Hombres, not Hombre? As in multiple pieces? I'm jealous Bill.
Old April 26, 2011, 02:28 PM   #31
Pukindog

Tanners

Tanners is a great shop to do business with. Always a good experience. I bought both of my Uberti 1873 rifles from them among other firearms. I had to send back my Beretta Lighting pump rifle back to Beretta after a year. tanners handled the entire process.

Jeff
Old April 27, 2011, 03:20 PM   #32
Bill Akins

Yep hongrn, my cousin, a friend and two dealer friends of mine along with me all did a group buy on nine of them. Myself along with three others are getting two each and one friend is just getting one. We will all of course all be signing the paperwork at the dealers to transfer them into our names individually. (No strawman purchases here). They arrived today but the dealer is out sick today so we will all go over in the same car together and be picking them up within the next few days. (They are about 30 miles away at the dealer's). I'll try and post some pics later on (if my lousy camera will cooperate! Lol)

"This is my Remy and this is my Colt. Remy loads easy and topstrap strong, Colt balances better and never feels wrong. A repro black powder revolver gun, they smoke and shoot lead and give me much fun. I can't figure out which one I like better, they're both fine revolvers that fit in my leather".
"To be sure of hitting the target, shoot first and call whatever you hit the target".
Old April 28, 2011, 02:06 AM   #33
arcticap

I like the matte brass finish.
It complements the matte blue on the rest of the gun.
Old April 28, 2011, 04:19 PM   #34
BerdanSS

Bill Akins
No problem Bill, always happy to help increase firearms sales in the greatest nation in the world Hope all the ones you guys ordered are fitted and look as nice as the one I received.

Arcticap
I ended up polishing mine...Bright 'n' shiny brass reminds me more of the '51 Navy I had, back when I burned powder with the 14th Indiana Company H way back when

Last edited by BerdanSS; April 28, 2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old April 28, 2011, 07:33 PM   #35
arcticap

That's 2 entirely different looks that come with the same gun. 2 for the price of one!
Old April 28, 2011, 07:36 PM   #36
OutlawJoseyWales

Called today to order a few in .357 and they were all out.
Then-the good news, he said they were getting 600 in next week. He could have meant 600 in .357 or 600 total, not sure.
The gentleman I talked to said that sales have been really strong on these, of course-at $150 lower than anyone else.

So, I'll have to wait.
OJW
Old April 28, 2011, 10:12 PM   #37
midshark

My .357 was shipped this afternoon. When I clicked the "buy it now" button Tuesday, there were only 4 left. Glad to hear they're getting more of them.
Old April 29, 2011, 08:31 AM   #38
Bill Akins

We picked up our revolvers yesterday. They are beautiful and I was impressed with the workmanship.

But one thing I don't understand BerdanSS, is why you said yours doesn't have the beveled cylinder front edge? Both of mine have beveled cylinder front edges just like the original 1873 Colts had.

Could you check the front of your cylinder again BerdanSS and carefully look to see if it's front edge is beveled? Perhaps because of the matte finish you weren't able to easily see that?

At any rate, I was very impressed with the overall fit and finish and "crispness" of the action. The trigger pull is a bit heavier than I like, but I can easily remedy that. (I like a pull just short of being hair trigger).

This is a fantastic deal for the price and I am very satisfied and happy with the two I received. Thanks again BerdanSS for informing us of it and thanks also to Ray at Tanner's Sport Center for providing us shooters with such a great bargain.

Old May 1, 2011, 05:57 PM   #39
Bill Akins

BerdanSS did you re-check yours yet to find out if your cylinder fronts were beveled like mine are?

Old May 1, 2011, 06:30 PM   #40
arcticap

BeranSS hasn't visited TheFiringLine since the day of his last post in this thread.
That information is accessed by clicking on a TFL member's user name and visiting their profile page.

Quote:
Last Activity: April 28, 2011 05:32 PM
A PM or email can also be sent to TFL members by clicking on the contact info tab that's also located on their profile page. Sending a PM usually results in the member receiving an email notification "alert" that there's a PM waiting to be read.

Last edited by arcticap; May 1, 2011 at 06:38 PM.
Old May 1, 2011, 11:20 PM   #41
BerdanSS

Sorry fellers! I'm remodeling my office and I had the computed shut down for a few days. Bill, I'm dead sure mine has a sharp crisp 90* cut on the front of the cylinder. Maybe it's a luck of the draw thing, like uberti did some of each. I'd like to see some pics of yours, if you don't mind

Picture of my Uberti cylinder front.

This is what I call a beveled front (US firearms Rodeo)
http://www.gunblast.com/images/USFA_Rodeo/MVC-006F.jpg
is this what yours look like?

I did get to pop off a few rounds last Friday afternoon, I was more than happy with it. The first two were flyers, The other three where all touching POA too! First one I've ever had that needs NO adjustment to the sights. (From about 15 yards, fired at an old stump in the back field at my Mom and Dad's place)

Last edited by BerdanSS; May 1, 2011 at 11:31 PM.
Old May 2, 2011, 03:40 AM   #42
Bill Akins

Yes BerdannSS, that link to a beveled cylinder is exactly what mine look like.
I do see that yours is indeed a NON beveled cylinder front. Obviously Uberti made some both ways!

My camera doesn't take sharp pictures up close, but you can still see the bevel on the front edge of my cylinder. The lighted up area on the front edge of my cylinder is the bevel. It is exactly like the bevel in the link you posted BerdannSS.

Now this is interesting. I am wondering if yours is a later made one where they discontinued the bevel, or an earlier made one that they realized needed the bevel put back in due to customer's complaints?

Or....if perhaps yours is like the mis-struck or twice struck coin that is an interesting mistake/aberration and more valuable due to its rarity?

I wonder if anyone else got one with a non beveled cylinder front?

Old May 2, 2011, 06:44 AM   #43
BerdanSS

Hmmm...Not sure. The non beveled front was kind of a dissapointment though, the sharp edges on this one dig into the leather when I go to holster my pistol. Ah well Not that big of a deal anyhow. I suppose I can always buy a chamfered cylinder from Uberti later, if it starts bugging me too awful bad It looks like to me that you got the original "Hombres" and I got a "New Millenium". The finish (from what I can tell) looks smoother on your pistols. Is your barrel marked like mine with the Stoger roll mark on top?

Last edited by BerdanSS; May 2, 2011 at 06:50 AM.
Old May 2, 2011, 06:50 AM   #44
Bill Akins

BerdanSS, I wonder if perhaps yours is actually a factory defect. A cylinder that somehow missed the beveling process? Have you thought about returning it to Tanners Sport Center and having them replace it with one like mine that is beveled? I'll bet they wouldn't mind. When you first mentioned about how yours wasn't beveled, the first thing I thought of was that it would dig into the leather of your holster.....just like you said it does. Rather than be bugged by it or think about ordering a beveled cylinder from Uberti, if it was me, I'd return it and get one like mine that is beveled to begin with.

Old May 2, 2011, 06:51 AM   #45
BerdanSS

Ya, I'm starting to wonder about that. I'll Call them when they open. Does yours say MOD 1873 CAL 45 COLT on the side? Or Just 45 COLT?
Old May 2, 2011, 06:53 AM   #46
Bill Akins

Show them the same pic you posted in your last several posts of how it isn't beveled. Then explain to them how mine and others exact same revolvers from them ARE beveled.

Old May 2, 2011, 06:58 AM   #47
Bill Akins

Answering your question about the Stoeger rollmark.

On top of mine's barrel it reads....."+Stoeger-Accokeek, MD-A. Uberti-Italy+"
According to the photos you've shown, it does look like the finish on mine is a bit smoother.

On the left side of my barrel, it says...."MOD. 1873 CAL 45 COLT".

My second one is also identical in markings and bevel. I didn't see all the other ones that my other friends got, but I did see my cousin's and both of his are exactly like my two.

Old May 2, 2011, 07:02 AM   #48
BerdanSS

Well since they both have the same roll marks, I belive they be the same make The reason I asked is the older hombres dont have any import or roll marks on the top of the barrel. And rather than being stamped MOD 1873 CAL 45 COLT on the side, they just say 45 COLT. The older ones also have a "smoother" finish and a tapered front sight blade rather than the wide square blade like mine has. From pictures I'm finding online, I'm really starting to think mine was "missed"
Old May 2, 2011, 07:04 AM   #49
Bill Akins

My front sight blade is also wide and UNtapered. No doubt in my mind, if I was you I'd return the one you have for one like I got. I think you got one with a cylinder that somehow missed out on the beveling machining process. Now about the rougher finish on your's compared to mine, that I couldn't venture a guess. But if it were me, I'd return it. You might send Ray an I.M. here or even an e mail with a link to this thread so he can see these pictures of the difference and understand what we are talking about. He's a member here now remember? And he posted in this thread earlier.

Old May 2, 2011, 10:26 AM   #50
arcticap

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Akins
Have you thought about returning it to Tanners Sport Center and having them replace it with one like mine that is beveled? I'll bet they wouldn't mind.
But BerdanSS already polished the brass gripframe and fired the new gun.
The seller probably isn't obligated to take it back now.
Uberti should be asked to deal with the problem.
They have a USA customer service dept. to provide parts and exchange.
It would probably need to be sent in to them since it's BerdanSS's gun now.
The typical inspection period passed when the gun was altered and fired.
While individual dealers can sometimes be very generous, it wouldn't seem that the dealer would be liable to accept its return.

Last edited by arcticap; May 2, 2011 at 10:31 AM.