The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old September 23, 2006, 12:00 AM   #1
jfrey123

Bushnell scopes

I'm going to be buying a Remington 710 chambered in 30.06 from ol' Wally World. It comes equipped with a bushnell scope, but I don't know what kind of bushnell. Looks like one of their "Legend" rifle scopes in 3x9 by 40mm, but that's just comparing it to their website. It's going to be a plinker/ small to med game eventually. It's my first high power rifle, and I wanted to know if the scope will hold up. Is it at least good for a starter or should I plan on buying a stronger scope within a month or so?
Old September 23, 2006, 02:05 AM   #2
Snow Dog

Do yourself a favour and go for the package rifle from Savage - a much better platform than the 710. Either way the scopes will be low end and you will want to upgrade as soon as the budget allows.
Old September 23, 2006, 09:30 AM   #3
hoghunting

Completely agree with Snow Dog. Do yourself a favor and pass on the Rem 710. That has to be one of the most troublesome rifles to ever hit the market. The Savage combo will be a much better choice. I believe Savage is still using the Simmons scope on their combo package. While it is not the best scope, it should work until you can find a better replacement.
Old September 24, 2006, 10:11 AM   #4
turkey45

..savage..

...go with the SAVAGE.....
Old September 24, 2006, 10:31 AM   #5
UniversalFrost

I am a remington fan and own several, but the 710 is not one of them. This is the only time I would agree with the savage guys and go with the savage package or even a stevens package. And yes the scopes are low end on these and you will want to upgrade asap. For a lower priced,but good scope I would check out the simmons 44mag scopes, they are now discontinued, but can be found at natchezz for a steep discount. Happy hnuting.

P.s. go with the stevens before the savage, I own several and with a little work they can shoot very accurately, but are also great out of the box.

"Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati" (when all else fails play dead) -Red Green

Old September 24, 2006, 10:35 AM   #6
sdb777

With either rifle, one thing is always going to be true. The scopes are worse then low-end....I would suspect, refurbished junk. Get some good optics and watch your rifle shoot better.

Scott B

George Burns