The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 5, 2006, 11:30 AM   #1
Ian2005

Axis Deer in TX question.

I was out at the range yesterday and met some guys who apparently still shoot deer. Not mule or white tail, but "Axis" deer. Now I've read up on them and understand the who/what/where of the breed, but they said that there is no season for Axis deer since they breed 2-3 times a year as opposed to other species; thus over population. I even went to Texas Parks and Wildlife website and couldn't find anything listed as to Axis deer other so I have three questions:
1) Is it legal to kill these deer any time of the year?
2) What kind of permit would I have to buy, if any?
3) Weekend ranch suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

-Ian
Old March 5, 2006, 11:38 AM   #2
roy reali

Re:ian2005

I prefer ally deer.
Old March 5, 2006, 11:41 AM   #3
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Axis deer are not state-owned game animals, so all that's needed is the basic license to hunt. Anytime of day or night or year, and anywhere that it's legal to shoot, as far as TP&WD is concerned.

They were imported to game ranches. Many have escaped and range free around central Texas. The commercial game ranches think they're high-priced trophy critters. Other ranches might not want as much money.

Check the bulletin boards at gunshops and feedstores to see who might have a place to hunt...

Art
Old March 5, 2006, 12:04 PM   #4
Ian2005

Deer Deer Deer

Well I'm suprised I don't see more advertising out there for them. I mean instead of the massive marketing / sales / hunting push done Nov. through January, I would have thought you would see advertising saying "Come anytime of the year and hunt our great Axis deer"... or something to that effect. I guess I was the only one thinking those few months were the only time I could bag a deer.

Thanks for the responces.

Old March 5, 2006, 12:13 PM   #5
shureshot0471

I heard through the grapevine and this may not be true, that in the next 5 years there is gona be a closed season for them. Last year in Sonora I bet I saw 15 or 20 driving down the road. These things are like pigs they are just gona keep multiplying at enormous rates.
- Ted Nugent
Old March 6, 2006, 01:40 AM   #6
trooper3385

Red Rock Ranch

One of the ranches I would check into would be Red Rock Ranch. There out of Cotulla TX which is about an hour south of San Antonio. I believe there web site is www.redrockranch.com If thats not it, do a search on the internet. Beautiful ranch and you can shoot anything you can imagine there. They have reasonable prices as well.
Old March 6, 2006, 09:34 AM   #7
kingudaroad

We shot a Sika deer a couple of years ago near Llano.Lots of fun seeing animals you don't expect to see. I hope a lot more exotics escape.

No season on any imported exotic animals in Texas.
Old March 6, 2006, 09:41 AM   #8
ChefGW

Quote:
Last year in Sonora I bet I saw 15 or 20 driving down the road.
Be careful, if the deer are smart enough to drive, they might be packing!