The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 18, 2010, 09:45 PM   #1
rmocarsky

.45 ACP for boar

Gunners,

I have owned 1911s for a long, long time.

Never killed anything with them and cannot lose the desire to do so.

Bottom line: I really want to.

However, in MD they are not legal to hunt deer with, and I don't want to shred small game.

The only way I can figure is to go to a preserve.

I contacted Whispering Hollows in PA about killing a boar with the .45 and ran it by the owner on the phone; he said .45 is ok to use on his preserve, "maybe you'll have to throw a lot of lead, that's all."

Let's not get into a debate about the ethics of high fence hunting, OK?

My question is: what would be the absolute best .45 ACP round for a 2-300 lb boar.

Thanks,

Rmocarsky
Old August 18, 2010, 10:16 PM   #2
BIG P

I use a glock 21,45ACP as a 2nd gun all the time for hogs,and have shot quite a few with a 45ACP used 240gr. ball 185gr.HP/200grHP good shot placement is the ticket.The 185gr.HP at 1100fps do agood job have not shot
a 300lb.boar.like the man said get ready to throw lead the 45ACP will knock him down but stayin down is not a givin. dont worry about tearing him up it aint bad on the big ones.I would use the heaviest bullet that your gun likes./ pratice/pic your shoots
Old August 18, 2010, 10:18 PM   #3
Edward429451

Boars are pretty tough, aren't they? I do not think 45 acp is an appropriate cartridge for boar. I would want a 44 mag and friends to hunt boar.
Old August 18, 2010, 10:29 PM   #4
Jim Watson

Second hand information, but for what it is worth...

One of our guys shot a bunch of deer with different brands of .45 ACP but all 230 gr JHPs.

Another club member was handed a handful of 9mm Extreme Shock (ugh) to try. He said one of them killed a pig as dead as his BFR.
Old August 18, 2010, 10:38 PM   #5
rtpzwms

Quote:
From BIG P
like the man said get ready to throw lead the 45ACP will knock him down but stayin down is not a givin
In that case leave the 1911 and take a tommy gun
Old August 18, 2010, 10:42 PM   #6
Pointer

appropriate?

On Hunter-Liggett Army Base in southern calif... the off-duty soldiers used to hunt wild pigs with the 1911 using ball ammo... it worked for them.

I was using a 44 Rem Mag at the time they told me that...

Penetration is the key and of course you will need to hit where you're aiming...

The pigs didn't get much bigger than a couple hundred pounds... although there were occasional 400 pounder's and I imagine those would be somewhat harder to kill. If you hunt over dogs... you should have a good opportunity to place your shots well... It gets dicey when you are only about 10 feet from a pi$$ed off pig!

I know some old "Nam" Vets (A SEAL and two Green Beret's) who hunt pigs with knives... they jump on their backs and cut their throats... your 45ACP should do OK in similar conditions.

P.S. So-Cal pig hunting is in very steep and very thick brush conditions... dogs aren't used much in that... you hunt over bait and from a tree stand... You don't have to worry about coming face to face on your hands and knees with the pig... that's when the 44 Mag makes all the difference...

30-06 FOREVER

Last edited by Pointer; August 18, 2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old August 18, 2010, 10:50 PM   #7
Water-Man

Double Tap Ammo 230gr. FMJ-FP
1010 - 520 5" barrel
Old August 19, 2010, 07:14 AM   #8
LSnSC

I'd shoot a hot 230 gr JHP , wait for a quartering away shot, and put it in his armpit.
Ive killed several with handguns and generally try and shoot them as I would with a bow.
Old August 19, 2010, 08:53 AM   #9
jmortimer

The 255 grain hard cast flat nose from Buffalo Bore is easily the best hunting ammunition available. It duplicates the .45 Colt and was designed to shoot through the shoulders or skull of a black bear.
http://www.buffalobore.com/index.php...t_detail&p=214
Old August 19, 2010, 10:00 AM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I was lookin' at that ammo site and noted in the above graph, the velocities don't seem entirely realistic to me...

The 300 yd numbers compared to muzzle fps and energy.

If it is accurate info, then accuracy alone would limit as a deer hunting round
Brent
Old August 19, 2010, 11:07 AM   #11
GeauxTide

If it's a 45, then it should be a Long Colt.
Old August 19, 2010, 02:24 PM   #12
kraigwy

I never hunted wild hogs, but I've dispatched domestic hogs with my 642 for butchering.

I've killed moose with a 357 so I dont know why the 45 wouldnt work on a hogs.

But like I've said, I've never hunted wild hogs so I'm just guessing.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old August 19, 2010, 04:23 PM   #13
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Over thinking the problem, buy a couple of boxes of decent 230 gr hardball and go shoot some pigs.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 19, 2010, 06:54 PM   #14
slammedsi

If your shooting to kill them then hardball will not stop them, I have shot dozens of them and haven't had a single one stop within several hundred yards. Best round i have found is 185gr Buffalo Bore rounds. DROPS them in there tracks.
Old August 19, 2010, 08:47 PM   #15
mchgnmike

Hardball or Buffalo Bore. When I go hog hunting I carry a 1911 as a backup and use the Buffalo Bore 255gr. load. However if I didn't have that load I wouldn't hesitate using a regular hardball load.

Like the land owner said might take a few shots. Let us know what you use and how it works for you.
Old August 20, 2010, 02:07 AM   #16
phil mcwilliam

Ive used a colt 1911 in 38 super on wild hogs with great success using factory solids. I dont think you will have any problems with your 45 so long as you can hit them right and you keep your range within realistic limits.
Old August 20, 2010, 09:56 PM   #17
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Quote:
If your shooting to kill them then hardball will not stop them, I have shot dozens of them and haven't had a single one stop within several hundred yards. Best round i have found is 185gr Buffalo Bore rounds. DROPS them in there tracks.
Doggone slammedsi you must have some gosh awful tough pigs down where you live. All we have is those pesky 250 pound Russians and they die right nicely if you shoot them where it counts. 30-30, 45, even a .243.

Worst one I know of a kid shot one 6 times because thats all the bullets he had but he had this old 35 Remington with ammo that must have been 50 years old. I suppose all the bullets hitting somewhere between the ribs and the hindquarters might of had something to do with it too. City boy who didn't know where the innards were. Gotta give him credit though, nearly 300 pounds of pig for his first ever hunt, not a bad start. Hardball wouldn't have done him much good either.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old August 21, 2010, 04:23 PM   #18
treg

Quote:
Over thinking the problem, buy a couple of boxes of decent 230 gr hardball and go shoot some pigs.
+1

Would also suggest RNFP or TC bullets if proven reliable in your gun. No HP's.

Putting several rounds into a running piggie would be challenging, fun and rewarding. Handgunning for small game would be great preparation.

.45 ACP balistics look pretty close to .44 Special balistics. Most comments on that round revolve around your ability to get close and hit where you aim.
Old August 26, 2010, 11:00 AM   #19
2damnold4this

I killed a 170lb sow with a short barreled concealed carry .45 acp. The first shot (230 grain golden sabre) really took the sand out of the pig.
Old August 27, 2010, 04:42 PM   #20
stegar1

the only way i would hunt wild hogs with a .45 is if you added another 4 to the end!

Semper Fi
Old September 1, 2010, 02:33 PM   #21
Creade

One of the Gun magazines just last month had an article on the new Remington 1911 and a story of the writer carrying it on a hog hunt.

After a few rounds of 45, the boar still charged the hunting party.

I'd carry something bigger and have the 45 as a sidearm
Old September 1, 2010, 03:15 PM   #22
43FLcracker

I take hogs with 45when we are usin dogs its the only gun I carry. Of course thats pretty close in, but it drops em well. It depends too on how close your planning on getting to said mean beastie. Canned hunts though usually the pigs are pretty big and well fed, so youd probably be better off with somethin with more range.
Old September 1, 2010, 03:59 PM   #23
mete

Nosler has apparently discontinued handgun partition bullets. The Barnes all copper wouild be a good choice [Corbon DPX] .Otherwise a premium heavy HP. I;d rather use a 44 mag !
Old September 1, 2010, 05:50 PM   #24
fishluv

there is a vid on youtude called got charged by another one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KxmuhDWXhPk

must see for first time pig hunters