The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 4, 2009, 01:39 PM   #26
madmo44mag

When asked how it happened just respond - I pistol whipped the last guy that asked to many question and one of his teeth scratched it.
Just kidding.
Hate it when that happens but it will happen again on a regular shooter.
Old April 4, 2009, 05:54 PM   #27
Auto426

No offense my friend, but you have just created what is known in the 1911 world as "The Idiot Mark".

On a stainless gun it's not really a big deal. You can do a search of this forum on fixing stainless. There are a ton of topics on it.

Most common solutions have been a little bit of Flitz polish on a rag to polish out scratches on the flats, or a little bit of fine steel wool and some oil, which should create a little more of a brushed look. Since the rounds are usually media blasted, you can use a polish or a steal wool, usually the only solution is to re-blast the affected area.

Playboy has used a fine media blast on the frame and slide, and then went back and polished the flats making his guns look like new. It may not be totally necessary though since you only have one scratch.

If your scratch is only on the flat part of the slide, I would use either the steel wool or the polish, but be careful with it, to much polish may create an overly shiny spot, and to hard with the wool might create more scratches.
Old April 4, 2009, 06:00 PM   #28
FrontSight

roadrash, +1...most of us scratched the frame, lol. I am guily myself of the frame....hard to get that sucker back in, no doubt!
Old April 4, 2009, 10:02 PM   #29
Bmpmanly

Wow - Idiot Scratch. That is definitely what I felt like. Yeah - It's a pretty tight fit. I am a newbie to the 1911 platform - but do I like it. The Dan Wesson will not be my last. I found a nice SA 1911 Loaded and a DW CBOB in local shops this week. I am trying to convince my father he needs to buy one of them.

I appreciate everyone's comments and suggestions. Several of y'all made the suggestion to look up some of playboypenguin's past post about repairing/polishing stainless - anyone got a link to any of them? Playboy - you got any suggestions? Warchild - thanks for the info on the 1911forums.com and contacting Dan Wesson. I thought I'd check around the local gun smiths as well. Anyone make a good suggestion for a gun smith in the East Texas area?

Until I figure out what I am going to do - I am just going to enjoy shooting it. And hope I don't make any other newbie mistakes.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:23 AM   #30
44Magnum

Be happy you bought a stainless model. You can take a very thin pin and push the plunger tube in while you insert the slide stop. Alternatively, you can push it up with both hands and then down. Never try to push it down and up at the same time with one hand.
Old April 5, 2009, 09:44 AM   #31
Dingoboyx

It would happen sooner or later......

It cant be helped, unfortunately, so Chill out, and enjoy your gun like you were always going to

However, I would macro photograph the scratch just to doccument it (in case BG ever steals your gun (or it gets lost) and removes/changes the number) so it is one more way of identifying your gun.

My friend's daughter was born by C-section..... the idiot doctor (student) sliced her forehead in the process They dont love her any less because of this blemish (scar)

Enjoy your shooting, mate
Your gun now has a 'personality' (Gunonality?)

Muzza

Tags
cleaning , dan wesson , repair , scratch , stainless steel