The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 24, 2012, 09:17 PM   #1
springfieldxds45

how good are montana gold bullets...

My local gun shot has a pretty good deal on Montana gold bullets...I was gonna load some up for my 45 acp and my 38 special...I was gonna get the 45 acp.230 gr. HP. And some HP for my 38 special too ...I was wondering if they would expand any and if any of u have ever used them before.....
Old December 24, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Misssissippi Dave

I use Montana Gold bullets more than anything else for pistol loads. They are great bullets in my opinion. I do believe their jacketed hollow point bullets are designed more for accuracy than anything else. I have never tried them to check for expansion. I use factory ammo often for self defense loads designed for that purpose. I would use my range ammo if needed. MG bullets are some of the more accurate bullets around for the price. Jacketed are also easier to load than plated or lead. It is easier to get the crimp right.

One of my favorite loads is using MG 185 grain JHP in .45 acp with 5.2 to 5.4 grains of WST I vary the powder between 5.2 and 5.4 depending on OAL and the pistol it is used in. Going above 5.4 grains of powder with OAL of 1.230" seems to start loosing accuracy quickly. If I'm just making ammo to use in several pistols I will use 5.3 grains with OAL of 1.210 and it seems to work pretty good.

Last edited by Misssissippi Dave; December 24, 2012 at 09:35 PM.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:24 PM   #3
RobertInIowa

Montana Gold bullets are excellent quality. I've used 1,000's and love them.
Old December 24, 2012, 10:39 PM   #4
Sport45

Good stuff. I shot a lot of them before I switched to cast bullets so I could afford to keep shooting.

My next step will no doubt be casting them myself...
Old December 24, 2012, 10:47 PM   #5
zplinker

Super bullets, unless you want expansion. My testing came up 'zero' testing in water jugs, with bullets running at 'max' speeds. Having said that, I just ordered another case of them for my gun. Way better than any plated bullets I've worked with in the past.

I did notice that they are limiting orders to 'one case', a sign of the times.
Old December 24, 2012, 11:30 PM   #6
Hunter Customs

I used them back when I was shooting competition, extremely pleased with them.

Best Regards
Bob Hunter
www.huntercustoms.com
Old December 25, 2012, 01:02 PM   #7
BigJimP

I load about 20,000 of them a year ...in a variety of calibers ....9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag..../ they make great bullets.

Expansion ?? - I have no idea.../ although I am currently loading their 158gr
JHP bullets for my .38 spl and .357 mag....I've never tested them for expansion / I don't use them for hunting - and I wouldn't use reloads for defense. I'm just using them for recreational shooting...
Old December 26, 2012, 10:28 PM   #8
5R milspec

Great bullets for shooting target,for thats what they are made for.Did a test for SD/CD and they failed the test,but you can drill out the HP to help out if thats something you wish to do,but it takes time to that.If I was to hunt with them I would,for one reason they will just punch right through anything like bone and keep going.

I can all so add that the jackets will just come right off in many pieces,but the core is what holds up.
Old December 27, 2012, 07:07 AM   #9
Crashbox

I will also toss in a positive vote for Montana Gold. Although I've gone to cast for .357 standard-strength rounds, I still use the MG jacketed ones for the hotties as well as for my .40 SD emulation rounds. Very much pleased with them, and they ship VERY quickly.