The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old April 4, 2009, 01:53 AM   #1
porrpk

10/22 what to do first?

stock 22.

would like to use for plinking fun/target practice as segway to buying a .223/7.62/.308 etc....

What should be the first mod/addition? scope? barrel? stock?
beginner, once a week range time, not looking for tactical type stuff, nor
super elite match target type things, just for fun shooting/hobby, friendly competition.

I already bought a better mag release and bolt release.

thanks
Old April 4, 2009, 02:30 AM   #2
dcobler

I would personally put a BSA .22 scope on it and look into some hi capacity magazines. There are better scopes out there, but if you are not shooting long range(which I don't) and if your budget is on the lower end(which mine is) it will put rounds in tight enough groups to blow caps off of 20 oz mountain dew bottles. As far as the magazine suggestion, not so much for the tactical purpose, as much as for the fun to keep shooting in between reloading. I have a tubefed .22 which has a BSA scope and I invested in a speed loader for it for the same reason.
Old April 4, 2009, 02:31 AM   #3
sholling

Well I'd keep it fairly close to stock for now and attend an Appleseed event or two to really learn how to get the most out of a rifle. And it's cheap!

I've built several custom 10/22s and here are the things that I like to replace first. Things that you won't need to do-over later.
  1. Replace the magazine release with either a Volquartsen or better yet a Tactical Solutions.
  2. Do (or get) a trigger job. DYI kits run $40-120 and can get you down under 3lbs pretty easily. The DYI kids aren't always the best for removing trigger takeup. For that you either need a better (more expensive) kit or just have it done for around $70.
  3. You can convert the bolt release to an automatic bolt release with 15 minutes and a Dremel. This is usually included in a professional trigger job.

The rest depends on the direction you want to take it. If you plan to keep iron sights then I'd use a Tech-Sights TSR100. If you plan to go with a scope then the Weaver 4x32 shotgun scope that Natchez has on clearance for $80 is a great deal. The Weaver RV7 2.5-7x28 is another great choice for a bit more money. What I would not do is put a cheap centerfire rifle scope on it, or a cheapo 22 scope like a BSA on it. Go with quality.

You'll want to do the stock and barrel together. I prefer laminated wood for the rigidity but there are other choices.

For ideas here are a few of mine...

Old April 4, 2009, 02:36 AM   #4
porrpk

scope?

I would like to get a scope, but still like the idea of being able to use iron sights, are the see through scope rings a good option? although the rail mount seems to get in the way of the iron sights... I've seen a couple scope mounts that bypass the rail, are 'see thru' and claim you can still see the iron sights.

no hi cap mag for me. kalifornia won't let us. I guess I could make a day trip to arizona or something...
Old April 4, 2009, 02:38 AM   #5
porrpk

nice 22s

sholling,

like the flames on the third gun, nice touch.
Old April 4, 2009, 07:34 AM   #6
blume357

yep, put what ever scope on it you can afford...

then change out the hammer and spring and put an extended mag release on.
Old April 4, 2009, 08:43 AM   #7
bojack2575

Quote:
What I would not do is put a cheap centerfire rifle scope on it, or a cheapo 22scope like a BSA on it. Go with quality.
Apparently Scholling doesn't practice what he preaches, pic#2 the scope looks like a Leapers and pic#3 is a Simmons neither of those are synonymous with quality........lol
Old April 4, 2009, 09:18 AM   #8
sholling

Quote:
like the idea of being able to use iron sights, are the see through scope rings a good option?
See-through rings suck hugely. With a factory stock it's pretty hard to get a decent cheek weld with even low rings. Add an inch or so of see through rings and you can barely get a chin weld.

Quote:
Apparently Scholling doesn't practice what he preaches, pic#2 the scope looks like a Leapers and pic#3 is a Simmons neither of those are synonymous with quality........lol
Pic #2 is not a leapers, but it is a spare Nikko-Stirling Nighteater (which I'd rate between a Bushnell Trophy and Legend) 3-10x42 that I had laying around. The Weaver V24 that I bought for it had a bit too much magnification for an Appleseed and I like the look so I kept it on for the photo, and will keep it there for the next Appleseed.

#3 has a Simmons Prohunter which was purchased out of curiosity. It actually surprised me with how good it is. It's a HUGE step up from a $70 BSA or Leapers, or a low end Simmons, etc - which is what I was trying to steer the OP away from. How long it will last is anybodies guess but Chuck Hawks rates them in with the better $150-200 scopes.

Quote:
Two-Star-Plus Scopes
* Bushnell Trophy
* Leupold Rifleman
* Mueller Extreme
* Nikon ProStaff
* Simmons Master Series ProHunter
Next comment? Hopefully with a bit more thought behind it next time. Oh and if you're going to call me a lier or a hypocrite at least spell the name right.

Last edited by sholling; April 4, 2009 at 09:28 AM.
Old April 4, 2009, 10:09 AM   #9
bojack2575

Sholling sorry for the typo, I wasn't calling you a liar, maybe a hypocrite, but definitely not a liar.........lol
Old April 4, 2009, 11:03 AM   #10
sholling

Quote:
Sholling sorry for the typo, I wasn't calling you a liar, maybe a hypocrite, but definitely not a liar.........lol
You'll find it much more effective if you have your facts straight.
Old April 4, 2009, 11:19 AM   #11
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

10/22 what to do first?

Shoot it?
Old April 4, 2009, 11:35 AM   #12
Scorch

If you are so eager to make modifications to your 10/22, do you want them to be purely aesthetic or do you want to increase accuracy/performance/reliability? If it is the former, do whatever pleases you. If the latter, I would suggest a drop-in trigger kit first, then a good scope (at least $100 or more), then you can evaluate whether or not you need a better barrel. Extended magazine release comes next. Then you can add whatever makes you think it is pretty (stock, bolt release, bull barrel, laser sights, Picatinny rail, etc).
Old April 4, 2009, 12:52 PM   #13
Average Joe

I would shoot it first and put at least 500 rounds through it, before doing any mods, that way, if it malfunctions, you will know what caused it.
Old April 4, 2009, 05:31 PM   #14
Mannlicher

buy some additional factory 10 round magazines, put a good sling on, and a quality scope. Thats all you really need to do.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old April 4, 2009, 06:49 PM   #15
wogpotter

First shoot it till you get used to what you don't like. Once you figure that out you'r eready for add-ons.
You mention liking iron sights. I'd upgrade the existing ones to a good peep sight.
The auto bolt hold open is worthwhile to me as the factory unit is a complete dog.
I'd avoid like the plague the $25.00 hi capacity mags. The few that'll work now will quit as sooon as the lips wear out. If you go with a high cap, pick the good ones with the steel lips & the screw adjustable seating into the reciever. Yes they're expensive, but worth every darn penny of it.

Sling & swivels would (to me) be a MUST.

Maybe a red dot of decent quality would be a nice upgrade from Irons.
Above all avoid spending more than the cost of the rifle in "goodies"

Tags
10 22 , 10/22 , modifications , plinking , ruger