The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old February 12, 2009, 01:53 AM   #1
baypistolman

best electronic ear muffs?

I am looking for some electronic ear muffs under $50 that I can use for shot gun and the shooting range for my pistol.

Any suggestions, I see a lot of electronic ear muffs under $50 but not sure which one will be good for listening to an instructor while cutting off the pistol firing.

Thanks Again.

Last edited by baypistolman; February 12, 2009 at 02:11 PM.
Old February 12, 2009, 03:26 AM   #2
maestro pistolero

Harbor Freight and Tool
Old February 14, 2009, 11:17 AM   #3
sholling

None in your price range. There are two ways that electronic muffs can work. When a loud noise is detected it can either A) momentarily shut off all sound, or B) reduce the volume of the loud noise to safe level while leaving conversations alone. Cheap muffs use the first method and make listening to a conversation kind of like watching TV with someone punching the mute button every few seconds.

Also keep in mind is how long it takes the muff to react to a loud noise. A cheap muff can let through a significant bit of the bang before it cuts off sound.

The most important thing to look at is how much noise reduction you can expect from a hearing protection device. Non-electronic muffs range from 19db to 31db. Most electronic muffs are in the 19-21db range with a few up around 25db. I will not use muffs that block less than 25db.