The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old July 8, 2002, 08:38 PM   #1
another okie

IPSC production division

I've been shooting GSSF for two years and decided to try IDPA and IPSC this summer. They both seem like fun. I have a question about IPSC production division. On the USPSA website they have a list of requirements for production division, and a different one for U.S. production division. I'm shooting my Glock 17, which is 100% Glock parts, but I have added the lighter factory trigger, which tested at about four pounds at my range. "Production" says a five pound trigger is required, while "U.S. Production" says there is no minimum. Is this just a case the U.S. having different rules than the rest of the world, or is there some wrinkle I'm not understanding?

Question # 2, as long as I have your attention: If I wanted to shoot my stock Springfield Armory 1911, which division would that fall into? Production says no single-action triggers.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:25 PM   #2
mattjoe

your Glock 17 is fine for production, yes the IPSC rules differ from the US rules slightly, you'll find often the US rules make a lot more sense.
If you're only going to shoot in America, don't even bother learning the differences in rules right now.

you springfield will put you in limited or limited 10 division, whichever you want.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:29 PM   #3
Jim Watson

USPSA does indeed have several rules different from IPSC. If you are shooting in the USA, go by USPSA rules. There are very few matches held in the US under actual IPSC rules. I do not know why the US organization feels itself too good to go by the same rules as the rest of the world. I do not see a lot of significance in the differences and think a uniform set of rules would be better. Ours or theirs, there is not that much difference, but one rulebook, please.

Your SA 1911 would fall into Limited or Limited 10 Category.
Old July 8, 2002, 09:57 PM   #4
Mike Davies

I shoot IPSC in Canada and USPSA in the US. In Canada I shoot in the Standard Division, and in the US in the Limited 10 Division. The only real difference (and it's minor IMO) is that under USPSA rules in Limited 10 I can move my mag holders around the front of my body. I could move my gun as well, but I prefer to draw from the same holster position....muscle memory and all that stuff. I could also shoot my Glock 35 in Production under USPSA rules, but not under IPSC rules.
Oh....the other difference is the USPSA shooters talk with funny accents.
Mike
Old July 9, 2002, 04:03 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

NOT "TOO GOOD"

IPSC bows to current politic trends; USPSA tries not to.

Our shooters prefer the USPSA rules.