The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old April 10, 2024, 08:06 AM   #1
ligonierbill

Weatherby 378 Series

Just curious. Anyone shooting these cartridges? Are they actually useful, or simply Weatherby's maintenance of their "hottest round" title? As some of you know, I've been working with a 338 RUM, which is very close to the 340 Weatherby. Many folks would consider these bordering on the outrageous, but the 338-378 certainly tops both. The pharmacist giving me my "Africa" inoculations had been to New Zealand with his father, one shooting the 338-378, the other a 30-378. They are the only hunters I've met using these heavies. Anyone else?
Old April 10, 2024, 11:44 AM   #2
taylorce1

If you can shoot them well, they're certainly useful. I've never liked cartridges that burn that much powder, and the shortages of gun powder only affirmed my decision. I used to love shooting .50 BMG but only when the Army paid for it.
Old April 10, 2024, 12:18 PM   #3
stagpanther

I haven't shot the 378 but have shot the 416--that's what I would get instead of the 378 if I were potentially going for big 5 (which I never have and probably never will, so take that with a shaker or two of salt). But a Mk5 with in-line brake is perfectly reasonable IMO. Other than that the only 375 I have is a 375 Ruger.
Old April 13, 2024, 02:53 PM   #4
ligonierbill

Nothing wrong with a 375 Ruger. The fact is "Big 5" for most of us boils down to the "Big 1" cape buffalo. A good trophy runs $20k. The rest are "if you have to ask...", and rhinos are dart it for a picture. I do still hope to try for buffalo, and I've been shooting the latest (Portuguese) Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag. Would an extra 300 fps help? Maybe at long range, but no way a PH will allow a long shot at M'bogo.
Old April 13, 2024, 03:47 PM   #5
stagpanther

Quote:
Nothing wrong with a 375 Ruger. The fact is "Big 5" for most of us boils down to the "Big 1" cape buffalo. A good trophy runs $20k. The rest are "if you have to ask...", and rhinos are dart it for a picture. I do still hope to try for buffalo, and I've been shooting the latest (Portuguese) Model 70 in 416 Rem Mag. Would an extra 300 fps help? Maybe at long range, but no way a PH will allow a long shot at M'bogo.
My buddy who is well off and loves to hunt big things has all of the big 5--but he told me recently the days of getting a permit for rhino are pretty much over with. BTW I rustled out my 338 LM LRH today--just felt the need for some big bang. Love that thing.

You like your Portuguese model 70? I bought one new and wasn't very happy with the quality of machining to the bore.

Last edited by stagpanther; April 13, 2024 at 05:21 PM.
Old April 13, 2024, 08:08 PM   #6
jmr40

The appeal of the fast 33's is their ability to shoot heavy, high BC bullets fast enough to kill elk size game at extreme range. Not necessarily for truly big game. In fact, I don't see any advantage to using a 33 over a comparable 30 for bigger critters. But they do offer some advantage at long range. I believe the 375's are the next logical step up if you want to hunt bigger game.

The 338 Lapua, 338 WM, 338 UM, 338-375 WBY, and 340 WBY all do the same thing. Some are faster at the muzzle and hit a little harder down range and each has their advantages, but the end game is the same.

I have a BIL who had a custom 338 Lapua built many years ago. He has taken 2-3 elk and at least 1 mule deer at around 700 yards with it.

The US military seriously looked at the 338 Lapua for their long-range sniper rifle several years ago. Some special forces units may in fact use it since most of them aren't tied to using issued weapons. But the military settled on the 300 WM instead.

The 375's are the smallest cartridge most people would recommend for the really big stuff. But they versatile enough to not be completely out of place for smaller game like deer. The lighter bullets trajectory is very close to 180 gr 30-06.

Winston Churchill
Old May 5, 2024, 10:43 PM   #7
bobsyouruncle

I have 378 WBY a couple of 338's in WM a 300 WBY all are excellent shooters, but one rifle in 338 is a SAKO Finbear ,I bought in the 70's as a barrel and action and had a stock made and is a spectacular shooter.