The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Semi-automatics

Old November 11, 2012, 11:14 AM   #1
spearman

M1 Carbine

Came across a M1 paratroopers model with the sliding metal stock,30 round mags,and it's made by General Motors.Anyone know what something like this is worth?It's in excellant condition.
Old November 11, 2012, 11:44 AM   #2
Creeper

Is it marked "Inland Div", "Saginaw SG" or "Irwin Pedersen"? Inland was the only maker of original paratroopers. Do some research on the guns markings and the originality of the stock... you need an expert to look at it in person, or at least look at a bunch of photos of it. Value can be... under a grand, and well over two grand.
The folks at the Steel and Wood forums will probably be your best resource for information.

Here's a link to a fellow with the same question as you... see where that thread goes.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:27 PM   #3
RickB

Sliding metal stock, or folding metal stock? The former would not be a military configuration; my brother has one, made by Universal in the late '70s.
Old November 11, 2012, 12:36 PM   #4
Creeper

Quote:
Sliding metal stock, or folding metal stock?
Good catch... that went in one eyeball and right out the other.
Old November 11, 2012, 09:06 PM   #5
musicmatty

Sounds like a great find...have you fired it yet ? My late father, gave me his WWII M1 Carbine when I turned 18..I'm now 45. I use to be in such awe of that gun as a kid.

My brother and I took it out for some target shooting today..put about 120 rounds thru it...jammed about 10 times..not bad for that many rounds. Jams for the most part with those rifles, have a lot to do with the cartridges being somewhat under loaded. I keep this Rifle in top working condition with precise cleaning after each use. We shot from a distance of 30yds from a standing position...at one point, I was able to actually hit the bull and follow up with a shot just below the bull..see attach pic I took a very short Video from my phone...my brother nails the target a 10sec and 30sec into the clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxYr2Fs66cA
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20121111_162014[1].jpg (202.0 KB, 16 views)
Old November 11, 2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Hook686

This is something I think you really need someone with good information on the M1 Carbine to look at. Unless you get it for a couple hundred dollars I think it needs be field disassembled. Is it an import ? Is it 100% USGI ? Do the parts match ? I have never been impressed with the 30 round magazines as there are a number of posts about jamming. Fake coolapsable stocks also seem previlant. A couple to a few hundred dollars might be a decent buy. Serious money needs some real careful examination. You might visit the CMP forum to get informed.

When the number of people in institutions reaches 51%, we change sides.
Old November 13, 2012, 02:18 AM   #7
Ignition Override

An authentic GI-vintage Carbine would probably never suffer the major malfunction suffered by my imitation, which was bought brand-new in late 2007.

It was built by Auto-Ordnance. If there had been an authentic carbine in the same shop, it would have sold for much less and been a much more reliable gun. My first gun purchase, and age 52.

The actions on the classic Carbines feel more rugged than on the weaker AO version.
Old November 13, 2012, 04:18 AM   #8
Brit

Mine is from CMP, was stored in Germany/Austria for years, 15 round Korean Magazines, new ones. Works fine. With hollow points, I think a great by the bed gun.

Mine has the steel parts like new, bolt/barrel etc. The wood has lots of dings, handled a lot? So called stored for years?
Old November 13, 2012, 07:07 AM   #9
madcratebuilder

A genuine Paratrooper M1 carbine well be 2-3 grand.

A imitation made up with the Italian army paratrooper stock is under 1 grand.

Condition is evrything, type 1 or type 2 parts?

Does it look like this?