The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 1, 2007, 09:25 PM   #1
219 zipper

dan wesson fixed barrel

hi and thx for reading this ,, i have a matched pair of dan wesson revolvers ,, one in 357 mag and the other in 44 mag ,, i wouldn't trade them for nothing ,, but i have a problem with trhe 44 mag it is shaving the bullits and jaming up i've had several gun smiths look at it and they can't fix it ,, this is of the fixed barrel models i have searched long and hard to find info on both of these guns as they a great handling and feel good in my hand .. they both have the pacmire presentation grips and are both nickle any thoughts ,, help .. i'm not shooting the 44 mag till its fixed i do hand loaed the 240 factorey loads were no fun i was shooting 350 grn hornandys out of it .. i'm sure that compounded the problem .. help
thx
Old April 1, 2007, 09:39 PM   #2
James K
Member In Memoriam

Dan Wesson is now part of CZ-USA (http://www.danwessonfirearms.com). If all else fails, you can send the revolver to them and they should be able to fix it. Call them first, and they might send a UPS or FedEx label so the shipping won't cost you anything.

The situation you describe can have several causes, including too large a barrel-cylinder gap and a too small forcing cone. Neither is an easy fix for a regular gunsmith. (One "fixed barrel" DW was really an adjustable barrel without the slots in the bushing; that could easily have a bad b-c gap if someone messed with it.)

Jim