The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old September 10, 2010, 05:15 PM   #1
oldwheat

BS/TG for Armi Jager?

I am trying to find steel backstrap & triggerguard for an Armi Jager 1873 Dakota. I have already sent an inquiry to VTI, any other leads? I am thinking that those for repro 'London' 1851 & 1861 Navies should fill the bill but wonder about what variance I may find in match-up.. Redoing the grips is not a big issue.
Old September 11, 2010, 01:07 PM   #2
oldwheat

No response?
Old September 12, 2010, 05:14 AM   #3
arcticap

Because it's an Italian gun, parts may be available in Italy that aren't available in the United States.

According to Wikipedia the company has transformed but is still in operation under a new name:

Quote:
Firearms production at Jager ended by the early 1990s, according to Mr. Piscetta for "lack of skilled personnel". The activity continues though as a gun store and gunsmithing shop located in the town of Basaluzzo, Alessandria province. The name of the enterprise has since changed its name to Armeria Nuova Jager.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armi_Jager
There's a complete listing for Armeria Nuova Jager including their email address, address and phone number on the following page, 2nd entry:

http://www.bordingl.com/armi.htm

There's also a website named freetranslation.com that can help to translate and compose a message in both English and Italian if that's necessary to communicate with them. Folks need to look to Europe to find parts for a lot of older European guns if none can be located here.
We even have a member here named Rusty.it who is located in Italy and is bilingual. Maybe he can help you out by sending them an email inquiry in Italian. Or maybe he can locate or recommend a parts supplier in Italy.
Here's Rusty's contact page to give him a try.

http://thefiringline.com/forums/member.php?u=50009

Did something happen to your grip frame and back strap that leads to needing replacment or do you just want to upgrade?

Last edited by arcticap; September 12, 2010 at 05:32 AM.
Old September 12, 2010, 07:54 AM   #4
oldwheat

Thanks Arcticap, No problem with the present BS/TG other than they are brass & I am being picky. I am going to give them the 'Gun-Kote' treatment for the present. Actually, it looks as if Pietta 1851 / 61 parts might be a pretty good matchup I just gave away a Pietta 1851 which I may have to borrow back for a fitting attempt.

Last edited by oldwheat; September 12, 2010 at 07:59 AM.
Old September 13, 2010, 07:00 AM   #5
Rusty.it

Hi arcticap, just read your post
i have never seen a jaeger '73 clone with steel grip, and now mr Piscietta is retired, a new owner buy the company (or better say he buy a historical "mark" in Italy) and i don't know wich interest he can have in old replicas
But i think he respond to a mail even in english
But a test with a pietta steel grip can reveale a surprise (not for sure, before to buy it is better to find a friend with a Pietta '73 and give a try)
bye
Rusty
Old September 13, 2010, 10:08 AM   #6
sebou

Hi
I just read the posts and i'm thinking if Mr Piscietta could give us any info of "PR" stamp on the buttom of some Italian Black Powder revolvers imported by FIE & EIE around 1969-7975 ?
Piscietta Revolver ? Why not ?
Thx
Seb
Old September 19, 2010, 03:10 PM   #7
oldwheat

Finding a steel BS & TG got to be a slight PITA but I did find that the brass ones from a Pietta 1851 were almost a perfect match, I decided to go with Brownell's "Gun Kote' on the original brass. I mixed the stainless steel & gun blue until I got a close match to the blued barrel & cylinder. It works for me if it holds up well enough.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SLA 1.jpg (172.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg SLA 2.jpg (189.5 KB, 29 views)
Old September 20, 2010, 02:37 AM   #8
arcticap

That came out really nice.
A lot of folks probably wish that they could make their brass trigger guard and backstrap look so good and black.
Please let us know how well the finish holds up over time.