The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old August 6, 2001, 02:28 PM   #26
HankB

A .45 ACP will work for deer, if you're careful about shot placement. 65 yards is further than I would take a shot, since field conditions are less ideal than what you'll find on a pistol range.

People have been taking deer for thousands of years with bows and arrows; if what amounts to a sharpened stick works, then a 230 grain JHP will certainly work, as long as it goes in the right place.
Old August 9, 2001, 01:34 PM   #27
Harvester

As many have said, I think that given the limitations of the cartridge (energy) and most individuals (accuracy), I would not recommend such an ambitious attempt- 45 acp at +- 65 yards. Shot placement is most important but does not, in my opinion, eliminate choosing an adequate caliber/energy combination.

I have taken whitetail with nearly every handgun in my collection from 9mm to 45 WM, and many in between- including 45 acp. The only handguns of mine without a deer to their credit are those I have not taken afield, and I have yet to lose an animal. In my state, the requirement is a meezly 350 lbs. of muzzle energy, .23 caliber or larger and I intend to harvest an animal with every variant that I legally and ethically can. One must be judicious in their ammunition selection in order to meet even this lenient requirement (I use only factory ammo, no handloads).

Obviously, I practice whenever I can and would not consider attempting a shot beyond my abilities or those of the firearm/cartridge. Needless to say, I have passed on many opportunities others may have attempted. I encourage others to practice shots similar to what they will encounter in the woods and to expect their group size in the field will usually double or triple what they enjoy at the range. So a 1" group would grow to 2" or 3"- I would consider that OK, but a 4" group would grow to 8" or 12" and would be unacceptable on deer sized game at ANY distance.

Suffice to say that this is all relative. My deer taken with a 45 acp was taken at 35 yards, trotting down a slope and fell with one shot- she weighed almost 120 lbs, dressed out, which is a decent size doe in my area. I believe that that distance would be about the extreme I would attempt on game with that pistol, although I can routinely place all my shots with my 45 (at the range) in a 6" group at 100 yrds, with iron sights. The animals I harvest are almost always relaxed, walking or standing, and completely unaware of my presence- which I am sure has a lot to do with my success.

Some of my tactics/anecdotes may sound foolish to some and tame to others, but I have developed a skill and comfort level within the legal limits and enjoy humanely harvesting game in the field that my family and I then enjoy on the table.

Once again, I agree with the other folks here that you owe it to the animals and yourself to harvest them in the most efficient, safe, humane, and legal manner possible. Whether you accomplish that with a bow, muzzle loader, handgun or large caliber rifle does not matter- just use what works for you. Good luck and happy hunting!

-Harvester
Old August 10, 2001, 01:44 PM   #28
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

Atticus, Lion meat is really tender, lean, and "sorta" sweet. Just a hint of sweet. The particular lion we knoshed on was a bit young, so it was more of a comparison to veal than beef.

"Aw, Hell, it was just GOOD!"

Art
Old August 11, 2001, 01:50 PM   #29
Rebeldon

Howdy Harvester!

Quote:
I intend to harvest an animal with every variant that I legally and ethically can.
Is that why your use the username "Harvester"?

Quote:
I agree with the other folks here that you owe it to the animals and yourself to harvest them in the most efficient, safe, humane, and legal manner possible.
Absolutely right! Hunters must have ethical standards. If not, we risk giving the anti-hunting crowd ammo to revoke our age-old pasttime from our children.

But our standards shouldn't just stop with how we kill the animal. It sickens me how some hunters improperly dispose of deer parts. If a hunter can take the time to hunt, he should take the time to properly dispose of the remains of the deer. I think I will add a new thread for this subject.
Old August 13, 2001, 09:34 AM   #30
Harvester

Yep- you are correct, Sir! That is exactly what inspired my OnLine identity.

You are also right-on about holding every aspect of 'the hunt' to the same high standards. I strive to leave any location I frequent BETTER than how I found it. Not all, but a few areas I hunt I actually take it ALL with me when I leave- entrails, etc. The places I do leave those remains for consumption by the 'locals', I do so very judiciously.

I also am a big fan of supporting one of our charities, 'Hunter's for the Hungry', who accept venison donations to feed the homeless, etc. If you donate an entire animal you incur no charge for it's processing and they feed the hungry! I have all the fun, cull the heard, and someone else benefits from the excellent nutrition. I am not sure if ihave mentioned it before, but I am also an advocate of herd management- more specifically reducing the number of does.

I figure if I take out a mature doe, I have just eliminated her and her one or two fawns... (the offspring she would birth next year) much more efficiently managing the grossly overpopulated deer herd. Happy harvesting!

-Harvester