The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Closed Thread

Old August 30, 1999, 10:21 PM   #1
StephenT

Hello everyone:

Anyone have any experience with the Aimco American Eagle P-08 9MM luger, manufactured here in Houston TX? I saw one at the gun show this weekend for $499 and was wondering how reliable and accurate it was. I already have the P220, 229, Sigpro, Beretta 92 Centurion and Cougar 45, but am looking for something more unique for my growing collection.
Old August 31, 1999, 12:00 PM   #2
John Lawson

Was it a 4" or 6" barrel? The price seems right. Just bear in mind that ANY striker fired pistol should never be kept loaded and locked (refer to thread on firearm accidents.)
The only one I've had in my shop (I specialize in Lugers) was a 6" that impacted a long way from the point of aim. Don't try to interchange mags from other makes of pistol. Same goes for small parts.
Old August 31, 1999, 09:52 PM   #3
StephenT

The model I'm referring to has a 4 inch barrel. I heard today from someone who's worked for Aimco that the quality of the P-08 is not so hot (i.e. poorly assembled) and that these guns are prone to frequent jamming. If this is true, it hardly seems worth $500+.

Older German lugers are sometimes available at gun shows here for $300-400, though not usually in mint condition. And I've wondered whether the barrels could withstand modern ammo. I still haven't given up on getting a luger. Does anyone know of a reliable source of quality lugers by mail? Thanks for any tips.
Old September 1, 1999, 01:38 AM   #4
John Lawson

Quality wise, the originals are best by orders of magnitude. The best bet would be to find a 1920 commercial or WW-I model, since collectors don't put as high a value on them. I shoot mine most every week with a fairly hot handload, using 124 gr fmj bullets. And, I have customers who shoot modern ammo through theirs, using original or replacement barrels. Important thing is to check headspace, since collectors play a game called "match the digits" with odd parts. Parts are still available.
Look down at the top of the closed pistol. There should be just a few thousandths gap between barrel and bolt face. Mags available aftermarket that work ok.One thing to remember: The sights put bullet at point of impact at 50 meters when the tip of front blade is all the way down in the rear sight notch. Called "taking a fine sight".
Old September 1, 1999, 04:52 PM   #5
James K
Member In Memoriam

Hi, Stephen,

I would prefer an original, even a mismatch, over those AIMCO Lugers. I have looked at and disassembled one and it simply (to put it mildly) does not have a look of quality workmanship.

The biggest problem with Lugers is the magazine. That "great grip" is bought at the price of a bad magazine angle. (The grip angle is not for ergonomics, but because the spring needs a downward pull to close the toggle; a forward pull will not do it.)

Jim
Closed Thread