The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old August 8, 2013, 09:18 AM   #76
tepin

My experience has been that those door alarms are like car alarms. They go off so often, when folks hear them they are ignored so why stand there looking like an idiot? If someone ran after me for suspected theft, sure I'll stop and hand over my receipt and bag but I am not dumping my pockets nor taking the walk back to the managers office.

Forgetting the law for a moment, many large retailers have policies preventing employees from pursuing a suspect outside the store and only management, along with a loss prevention person can confront a suspect if at least two employees witnessed a person stuff an item in their clothing, never lost sight of the person and the suspect made an attempt to leave the store w/o paying for the item. Some will fake a shoplifting event to provoke a confrontation in hopes of a future lawsuit i.e. I stuff a CD down my pants in front of someone, turn a corner and dump the item in a bin or on another shelf.

My brother is a store manager for a large nationwide retailer and this is their policy... don't confront and don't chase. Keep eyes on and notify management and loss prevention. When he started with the company 25+ years ago, employees enjoyed chasing folks into the parking lot over a 200.00 drill.... until someone got shot or the incident when they tackled the suspect in the parking lot, broke out some of the persons teeth as a result and found no store merchandise on the person... no need to mentioned what happened after that ?$?$?$?$?$?

Regardless of the law, lawsuits have changed how stores react to suspected shoplifters.
Old August 8, 2013, 05:46 PM   #77
SgtLumpy

Quote:
But bottom line,,,
Since I carry my gun in my briefcase,,,
I'm not allowing anyone to take it or to search me.

Except a cop.
Sir! Please keep your hands where I can see them and slowly hand me your comma key. Don't make any sudden punctuation marks.

Sgt Lumpy
Old August 11, 2013, 10:15 AM   #78
TRX

Interesting. I'm also in Arkansas, and that's the first I've ever heard of a law saying a merchant might try to keep me from leaving his store. You'd think they would have mentioned it in those wasted years I was incarcerated in the public school system...

I set the detectors off regularly; to the point that I no longer even slow down when gimping out the door. I started setting them off in the 1980s after I wound up with a bunch of orthopedic steel. I was mildly in favor of the magstrip/RFID systems when I heard about them, figuring they might cut down on false alerts. Doesn't seem to have happened, though.

Back when I patronized the local video store, every item was magstripped. The checkers would pass them over the demagnetizer, which worked with, best as I could tell, a 90% success rate. Meaning every second or third trip, the alarms would sound as I walked out the door.

The checkers eventually knew me as "the guy who stands between the sensors, waving the bag back and forth, causing massive commotion." Hey, I was paying for entertainment, and that entertained me...
Old August 11, 2013, 01:06 PM   #79
buckshot00

Sensors are always going off, equipment malfunctioning is no reason for someone to violate your rights. Tell them to go to hell and do not touch you, if the cops come explain they have bad equipment.

Last edited by Frank Ettin; August 11, 2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: Keeping it high road
Old August 12, 2013, 08:37 AM   #80
johnwilliamson062

Having worked security in College I am fairly surprised by most posters expectation that security officers will be trained in what they SHOULD do and professional enough to actually do it. I am sure, like most low level jobs, the people are a lot more responsible now than they were 5 years ago, but I worked with some real oddballs who thought they were SF. Very much a "we need a warm body" selection process.