The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights

Old December 25, 2012, 04:28 PM   #26
Glenn E. Meyer

http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com...law/?hpt=hp_t3

Well, let's see how this plays out. Ignorance of the law is no excuse.

It is another story on Gregory's misstep with the 30 round mag. Nice to see that it is getting play in the media. Perhaps, it will make folks see how silly the law is.

Last edited by Glenn E. Meyer; December 25, 2012 at 04:56 PM.
Old December 25, 2012, 08:16 PM   #27
Elker_43

He probably will lie anyway

No matter if he did break the law he (they) will lie about it and even if true, Obama would ensure that he was not arrested or even interrogated about it.

Last edited by Al Norris; December 27, 2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: proper names
Old December 26, 2012, 10:09 AM   #28
bumnote

Earlier this year in DC there was a rash...and still is...of muggers stealing smart phones from people off the street. The initial response from their Chief of Police was "don't have them in public view. If they don't see it you won't get mugged."...then some people got seriously injured and then they actually did something. Guess the same should be applied to watches and jewelry as well...
If they can't enforce laws concerning theft or act in a responsible manner before someone gets hurts...not confidant anything's going to come of this. Unless of course, he bludgeons someone with it to steal their iPhone.
There's a reason I live on the sane side of the Potomac.
Old December 26, 2012, 01:15 PM   #29
maestro pistolero

Good. Let him get a full taste of what it's like to face a felony for merely holding an inanimate object that's equally capable of serving both good and evil.

ETA: it's a misdemeanor with a max 1k fine and a year with your new girlfriend, Rex.

Last edited by maestro pistolero; December 28, 2012 at 02:11 PM.
Old December 26, 2012, 01:23 PM   #30
jimbob86

Quote:
When the leaders of DC can't even follow their own laws, I have little to no hope of them actually enforcing them.
Oh, they'd have NO problem enforcing it on YOU...... "Lex bovis, non Jovis."

It is not what you know, but who ....
Old December 26, 2012, 06:37 PM   #31
Glenn E. Meyer

TV said NBC asked the DC police before the show and they told them he couldn't do it.

OOPS!

Anybody look up the penalty, I haven't?
Old December 26, 2012, 06:42 PM   #32
Metal god

Quote:
"don't have them in public view. If they don't see it you won't get mugged
Although different , I had a cop tell me something similar . My car was broke in to by breaking a window and they took my radio . This may date me but it was a pull out radio . Thats a radio that you could just grab a handle and pull the whole thing out so it would not be stolen . The cop went on to tell me it was my fault the radio was stolen cus I did not take it in the house with me . The item in question was in a locked car in my driveway on private proprety and yet it"s my fault it got stolen . Next they will say if you didn't have such nice things in your house nobody would come take them .

I almost always write my posts regardless of content in a jovial manor and intent . If that's not how you took it , please try again .
Old December 26, 2012, 07:45 PM   #33
maestro pistolero

Quote:
Glenn E. Meyer:
http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...47f_story.html

Quote:
"The offense is a misdemeanor that carries penalties of up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine".
Old December 26, 2012, 08:03 PM   #34
Alabama Shooter

Yes, a year in jail and $1000 fine. They can go ahead and save the money on a trial there is no way he can prove he did not do it since he went to a lot of pains to make his point.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:12 PM   #35
rickyrick

Yep they did ask the police and they told him not to do it.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:30 PM   #36
jimbob86

Quote:
Yes, a year in jail and $1000 fine.
Guess he won't be be filling out a 4473 with the right answers, will he?
Old December 26, 2012, 08:37 PM   #37
Alabama Shooter

Quote:
Guess he won't be be filling out a 4473 with the right answers, will he?
He can just go to a gun show and buy whatever he wants.
Old December 26, 2012, 08:40 PM   #38
jimbob86

Quote:
He can just go to a gun show and buy whatever he wants.
I need to go to the shows you are going to ...... I have been wanting a phased pulse rifle in the 40 Gigawatt range.....
Old December 26, 2012, 09:56 PM   #39
jmr40

It doesn't matter how this turns out, guns rights advocates can use it to our advantage. If he is prosecuted it will be easy to show how senseless some laws are and how easy it is for well meaning folks to get into trouble. Nothing like someone getting caught in their own trap and seeing how it feels. And this goes a lot farther up the ladder than Gregory. The entire network and anyone involved is responsible.

If he is not prosecuted, well that opens up lots of doors to make gun control advocates look bad.
Old December 26, 2012, 10:45 PM   #40
ClydeFrog

RIP Tim Russert....

I just read a online item about the event; www.Thehollywoodreporter.com .
Their article states that a NBC staff member contacted a federal/ATF official & a DC Metro senior officer and got "permission" to display the 30rd alloy mag on the air. Multiple news sources have said the Washington DC police REFUSED the NBC staff request to use the real AR magazine as a prop.
David Gregory has been in hot water with Meet The Press before. He seems to have ethics & conduct issues IMO.
I miss Tim Russert. He was a stand-up guy & straight shooter(pun intended) .
Fun fact: Tim Russert once made a brief cameo as himself in the NBC cop drama: Homicide, Life on the Street.

Clyde
PS; A few years ago, I read a great non-fiction book about the early years of NBC's Saturday Night Live(SNL). There's a interesting bit about how a real, full auto(select fire) M-16a1 rifle that was used as a TV prop in the NBC studios became "lost" on the set. When 2 ATF agents went to Studio 8H, Dan Ackroyd ducked out & took off! True story.
Old December 26, 2012, 11:49 PM   #41
Heavy Metal 1

how can the police "give permission" for someone to break the law? Since when does law enforcement have such arbitrary power?
Old December 27, 2012, 12:09 AM   #42
egor20

It was just a misunderstanding

Washington police are investigating whether NBC’s David Gregory broke the law by holding up what appeared to be a 30-round gun magazine on Sunday’s Meet the Press after the network apparently got conflicting opinions about whether it would be legal for him to do so.

It is illegal in the district to possess a “large capacity ammunition feeding device.”

Gwendolyn Crump, director of the Office of Communications for the Washington Metropolitan Police Department, told ABC News, “NBC contacted MPD inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazine is not permissible and their request was denied. This matter is currently being investigated.”

But ABC News has learned from an official at the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives that NBC had reached out to the federal agency on Friday for advice before displaying the weaponry.

According to the ATF official, the agency noted that ATF doesn’t enforce D.C. gun laws, but agreed to put the question to a couple of Washington police officers who’ve worked with the agency in the past.

The D.C. officers advised the ATF spokesman that Gregory could display the magazine, provided it was empty, the source said.

That turned out to be bad advice, as conservative media and gun rights activists were first to note. The ATF official describes this as a “misunderstanding,” and says he hopes DC police will not bring charges.

Another Washington DC police officer and spokesperson Tisha Gant said the situation was “being investigated,” but would give no other details including what exactly is under investigation.

http://abcnews.go.com/blogs/politics...lated-gun-law/

Country don't mean dumb.
Steven King. The Stand
Old December 27, 2012, 10:40 AM   #43
Strafer Gott

So which is it, ignorance is no excuse, gun laws are for little people(selective enforcement), or scoff law? It could be the first one, if they received bad advice. It could be the second if they consider their prominence a waive, or they could just not care (a la Honey Badger), for example, Piers Morgan and the phone hacking scandal. I'd like to see him get some alien and sedition charges (whatever) brought on that one.
Old December 27, 2012, 03:37 PM   #44
Alabama Shooter

The ATF was correct the first time. They do not enforce DC law and have no say in how DC enforces it. Why they choose to interpose and involve themselves in a blatantly political manner to support a one sided argument is scandalous. The justice department should be ashamed of themselves they way they have involved themselves in the gun control debate in the last few years.
Old December 27, 2012, 05:15 PM   #45
k_dawg

As many who followed the IRS advice know; simply because a gov't official/representative tells you you can do something illegal; doens't make it legal.
"How a politician stands on the Second Amendment tells you how he or she views you as an individual... as a trustworthy and productive citizen, or as part of an unruly crowd that needs to be lorded over, controlled, supervised, and taken care of."
Texas State Rep. Suzanna Gratia-Hupp
Old December 27, 2012, 10:51 PM   #46
Tom Servo
Staff

Quote:
Quote:
Yes, a year in jail and $1000 fine.
Yep, and the penalty for possession of marijuana in the District is six months and a $1000 fine. Would everyone be jumping to his defense if he was waving a bag of reefer around? I think not.

Or...what if it was LaPierre who had the magazine? We'd be seeing a different take on things.
Old December 28, 2012, 03:24 AM   #47
nate45

Speaking of marijuana, aren't many who want new gun laws, the same ones who claim the war on drugs is a failure and often cite the fact of easy availability, as one proof prohibitions do no good?

Its an undeniable fact that cities like Chicago and DC have high gun crime rates, yet have tough gun laws. How do they suppose that tough national laws, won't just be ignored by criminals and the black market?

If they claim that Chicago and DC's problem is because other States have easy availability and lax laws...What about Mexico? Do they suppose the cartels couldn't smuggle weapons, as easy as the do drugs? Do they really suppose that most of the millions of semi-auto rifles out there now, will actually get turned in?

I know my opinion must be jaded, given my pro-gun stance, but how am I wrong? How will the silly new laws they propose actually help?
Old December 28, 2012, 10:28 PM   #48
KyJim

Quote:
Yep, and the penalty for possession of marijuana in the District is six months and a $1000 fine. Would everyone be jumping to his defense if he was waving a bag of reefer around? I think not.

Or...what if it was LaPierre who had the magazine? We'd be seeing a different take on things.
If the person waiving around the marijuana did so to support the argument marijuana should be illegal, then those opposed would most definitely point out the hypocrisy.
Old December 28, 2012, 10:53 PM   #49
Rob228

I am all for the book getting thrown at Gregory, and hopefully the entire chain of possession that ended up with him displaying the magazine on TV. From the video it looks like there is no floorplate, which leads me to believe no spring or follower. With any luck they can at least get the network with constructive intent if they track down the spring, follower and floorplate.
Old December 29, 2012, 10:33 AM   #50
Alabama Shooter

Gregory will be meeting with President Obama this weekend on Meet The Press. Remarkable how the Secret Service is unconcerned about his possession of illegal weapon parts.