The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 28, 2008, 09:56 PM   #1
mmasteve

REM 870 vs MOSS 500 for my needs.

which would fit my needs better in your guys opinion. i want both a HD shot gun with a 18" barrel and a 26 or 28 for skeet shooting and possible duck. i have found both are reasonable in price. i have found the rem 870 for 300 and the moss 500 for 250, HD barrels for both are around 100 dollers. what do u guys think. i wont be using this thing a TON but i will prob shoot skeet once a month at most. my question is , do i need to spend the extra on the 8 70 or will the 500 fit my needs. thanks for the help any info or advice would do
Old April 28, 2008, 10:00 PM   #2
soldiercraig

I personally like the 870, it feel more solid. But I guess the mossy would do just fine.
"I have learned that there are troubles of more than one kind, some come from ahead and some come from behind, but I've brought a big bat, I am all ready you see, now my troubles are going to have troubles with me"
-Dr. Seuss
Old April 28, 2008, 10:26 PM   #3
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

I consider both the Mossberg 500 and the Remington 870 to be "entry level" in the pricing scheme of things... That being said The mossberg will (if you like the fit) suit you very well in both departments. Once again, I will say I highly favor the Mossberg for HD as the tang safety atop the receiver is mucheasier for me to manipulate from any position I am holding the gun and since not all push button safeties on the trigger guard are the same direction for safe or fire it is easier for me to both safe and "hot" accurately and post haste. The slide release is super easy to access for a right handed shooter. Both are reliable guns. The Express is down grade as is the Maverick 88. BTW if'n you weren't aware, the Mav88 does not have the tang safety. Good luck on yer decision dilemma...
Brent
Old April 28, 2008, 10:32 PM   #4
Scattergun Bob

Rem Vrs Mossey

mmasteve,

This has been an ongoing discussion for-EVER. I think it is as popular and heated as the old Ford vrs Chevy discussions from the 60's.

I own both 870 and 500 models, both would be serviceable for your needs. I seem to prefer the 870 for the location of the safety, and it was my security blanket in my patrol cruiser.

The finish on the 870 express model is a little suspect and please make sure to keep rustproof on it.

If money is the issue, the 500 will work just fine.

what ever you choose to buy my wish to you is as always; "that it will shoot where you look every time you choose."
Old April 29, 2008, 08:34 PM   #5
mmasteve

i wasnt wanting to start the old VS war. just wanted some opinions on which is the best for the buck out of the two. thanks guys
Old April 29, 2008, 08:52 PM   #6
oneounceload

IMO, you should try to shoot both types, especially on the skeet field, to see which one feels best to YOU, which one you can shoulder properly, etc. also, IMO, I would rank the 870 a bit higher than the 500 in fit and finish - I tend to think the 11-87 and the 500 are more on apples to apples standing - not saying either are good or bad - both will make a good HD gun with the short barrel - and bothwill make a decent pump gun for skeet with the 28" barrel
Old April 29, 2008, 09:11 PM   #7
okiewita40

I guess I'll thorw my hat into the ring also. I shoot/use an 870 for work and I have a 500 for home. While both will get the job done. I prefer the 500. It is easier for me to shoulder and I can get on target just a bit faster than I can with the 870. Plus after a lot of years of bird hunting a slightly lighter shotgun makes for a better day in the field.
Old April 29, 2008, 10:04 PM   #8
mmasteve

i forgot to mention that it is the 870 express not wingmaster or one of the high doller ones. thanks for all the input guys.
Old April 29, 2008, 10:07 PM   #9
mikenbarb

Just buy them both and go from there. Just think of all the fun you could have with options.