The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old November 30, 2013, 10:39 PM   #126

Way to go!!!! That was one heck of a shot!

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 1, 2013, 12:16 AM   #127
upstate81

Nice job. should be some good eating
Old December 1, 2013, 08:18 AM   #128
8MM Mauser

Awesome Brian! Congradulations!
Old December 3, 2013, 08:40 AM   #129
stu925

LIVE! From the Stand, Season 3!!!

Hunting a totally new area this morning and got a couple doe tags in my pocket. Area looks good it's the local Boy Scout camp. Ranger picked our spots so we could fill a couple of his tags for him. Weather is good with no wind. Man I'd really like to see some deer. Here's where I'm at

Stu
Old December 4, 2013, 12:06 PM   #130
stu925

Same piece of property as yesterday. Spent the morning still hunting. Back in same place for the afternoon There's a big buck running the mountain. Hopefully he'll make an appearance this afternoon although a big doe would be just as good
Stu
Old December 4, 2013, 12:47 PM   #131
shortwave

Hope ya get him stu.

Monday morning was opening day of our shotgun season. Had a smallish ten point walked up and stopped 40yds from me. He was beautiful. Didn't raise gun.

Tuesday, got busted by doe's. Four of them coming up the hill in single file line. Wanted the second doe as she was clearly the largest. Went to raise shotgun and since I was facing the bright sun, the glare off the bbl caught her eye. I know better to hunt that stand in the morning.

Today(morning), did not see a thing. Only shots heard were from far away. And the temp. is pushing 60.

Tonight should be productive as there is a front headed in overnight.
Will be posted up this evening with the Encore on a stand located in a bottle neck that I've watched a massive buck pass through a couple times in the pm.. About a 125yd shot if he shows. Hope to catch him sneaking through just before dark.
Old December 4, 2013, 03:39 PM   #132
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Good luck! I won't be out again until Saturday evening.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:25 PM   #133
shortwave

Thanks but...he didn't show and neither did his girlfriends.

Think it's just too warm here. Absolutely nothing moving unless it's pushed. Currently 63deg. as I type this. Felt like I should have had my bow as it seemed like bow hunting temps.

Going to be warm overnight and another very warm morning. Rain in the PM and the temp. is supposed to drop with a chance of snow Fri.

Maybe things will pick up when it cools off.

I know Sat. and Sun. will be a zoo around here. Those that had to work this week will invade the woods like Grant in Richmond.
Old December 4, 2013, 06:30 PM   #134
Kimber84

Quote:
Originally Posted by shortwave View Post
Thanks but...he didn't show and neither did his girlfriends.

Think it's just too warm here. Absolutely nothing moving unless it's pushed. Currently 63deg. as I type this. Felt like I should have had my bow as it seemed like bow hunting temps.

Going to be warm overnight and another very warm morning. Rain in the PM and the temp. is supposed to drop with a chance of snow Fri.

Maybe things will pick up when it cools off.

I know Sat. and Sun. will be a zoo around here. Those that had to work this week will invade the woods like Grant in Richmond.
You noticing less deer in general this year? Lots of grumbling from all over the state. I'd say numbers have feathered out over the last three years. 06' was probably the peak for qtys of deer that I was seeing.
Old December 5, 2013, 01:10 AM   #135
shortwave

Quote:
You noticing less deer in general this year? Lots of grumbling from all over the state. I'd say numbers have feathered out over the last three years. 06' was probably the peak for qtys of deer that I was seeing
Yes sir!

and this proves it:

Ohio had a first day take this year in shotgun season of 22,620. Down from a first day take in 2012 of 29,297. Overall current take is down 3% from last year...and I might add that our early m/l season was extended to all counties this year instead of being limited to a few counties as it was last year.

Numbers are surely down.

Last edited by shortwave; December 5, 2013 at 11:25 AM.
Old December 5, 2013, 10:54 AM   #136
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Well, we finally got the deer cut up, though we still have to finish with the final cutting and packaging.

No pictures, sorry.

Was very interesting on the entrance and exit wounds though. The entrance wound was right on a rib and was at least 1 1/2" wide, blew that rib apart and one on each side. The exit was what I more typically expect of a Barnes TTSX at about 3/4". You can see from the picture of the heart and lungs in my previous post that the bullet clearly did it's job. One new data point for the TTSX bullets.
Old December 5, 2013, 11:22 AM   #137

Brian, those TTSX bullets are some bad hammers......do real well in your 7mm-08 and my 280. I'm hoping to put some 290 gr TEZ's to the the test with the muzzle stuffer on Saturday. I'm going deep in the thumb country of Michigan (Bad Axe). I'll post the good, bad, and the ugly here when I get done.

Deer are amazing creatures....so please don't burn the sauteed onions and I'll pass on the steak sauce, thank you.
Old December 8, 2013, 08:22 AM   #138

Dead from the stand......

Well to say the Barnes 290 TEZ's got put to the test would be an understatement. Three shots fired........three deer down. BTW, I'm tagged out. First, was an average doe in the morning at 95 yards. Hit her top of the shoulder........DRT. Second deer was a nice 6 pt and he stepped out of the woods at 3:30 in the afternoon. He was hard quartering to me and I took him top of the shoulder but tucked it in front (chest side). 45 yard shot and he didn't go 10 yards. Last, I had a group of a dozen or so does make their way down to me feeding along the the edge of the woods with about a half hour to go. I had plenty of time to size things and found the one I wanted. She was lingering in the back and gave me a 120 yard shot. I actually had to wizz my shot past closer ones to take her. Broadside, top of the shoulder........DRT.

I will post some pics later of the spot and the buck. Don't have any of the does.

Last edited by .284; December 8, 2013 at 08:29 PM.
Old December 8, 2013, 11:14 AM   #139
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Wow. That's quite a day. Just the deer you actually killed are almost as many as I've seen all year.
Old December 8, 2013, 08:00 PM   #140

Yeah Peet, I probably saw 35-40 the entire day. That area of the thumb is just stupid with deer and I have hunted the same tree for 2 years in a row. Look at this:

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=508612

Here's a few pics of the spot and the buck. The second picture that shows the little white building is the restaurant where we eat breakfast. I should have taken a picture of the shoulder we cut off that buck. He was my second deer this year that I mopped up someone else's mistake. It had a broken leg opposite side of my shot. I didn't really pay much attention to it when I got him but, yesterday you could see it was pretty jacked up in his elbow area with infection starting to set in. Glad I got him and not the yotes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img089.jpg (205.4 KB, 29 views)
File Type: jpg img091.jpg (159.2 KB, 28 views)
File Type: jpg downsized_1208131735.jpg (26.2 KB, 25 views)

Last edited by .284; December 9, 2013 at 10:56 AM.
Old December 9, 2013, 03:24 PM   #141
ChasingWhitetail91

Got out early this morning, sat for a couple hours and seen a little doe being chased around by a smaller spike. I had a couple good shots at the doe, but with a full freezer I decided to watch them for a half hour and head out. I only hunt a little 15 acre piece for private land and figure maybe they will come back and see me when they are bigger.
Old December 10, 2013, 06:40 AM   #142
stu925

My first day out with the muzzleloader. Cold and windy but I'm in a spot with a lot of sign. Half an hour until light. Wish me luck

Stu
Old December 10, 2013, 07:26 AM   #143
globemaster3

Best of luck, Stu! Go get 'em!

"We have enough gun control. What we need is idiot control."
Old December 10, 2013, 09:21 AM   #144

Best of luck to you Stu. Shoot straight and stay warm.

Old December 10, 2013, 03:24 PM   #145
globemaster3

Ok Stu, I checked in on my lunchbreak and no update...

You're still tracking, skinning, or just forgot, right?

Old December 10, 2013, 04:14 PM   #146
shortwave

Quote:
Wish me luck
Good luck...but I'll take it back if ya don't come back with a report by days end.
Old December 11, 2013, 06:36 AM   #147
stu925

Sat all day yesterday in the snow. Must have looked like the abominable snowman, didn't see anything but I did find some really fresh tracks on my way out so that's where I'll be all day today. Still a bear wandering around up here too, should be denning up soon I would think.

Stu
Old December 11, 2013, 09:52 AM   #148
stu925

Nothing so far but man is it cold. NOAA says 21 degrees but it feels a whole lot lower with the 20MPH gusts. Might have to take a walk soon to warm up. Funny I can't remember a seas where I worked so hard and saw so few deer. They're bound to show up sooner or later I guess.

Stu
Old December 11, 2013, 10:33 AM   #149
globemaster3

Stick with it Stu! See anything yet?

Old December 11, 2013, 09:40 PM   #150
ChasingWhitetail91

I've never had much luck in high winds, but all the old timers say when you have to move to stay warm the deer are doing the same thing. Good luck!