The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old May 23, 2012, 07:51 PM   #1
oneounceload

decent air rifle scope

I have come to the conclusion that my old eyes need help when it comes to hitting tree rats, even at close distances; way too many close hits or wounding with what should be DRT shots.

Air rifle in question is the RWS 34; not looking for Olympic shooting quality, but it does need to handle the two-way recoil of a springer

Any thoughts much appreciated
Old May 24, 2012, 04:10 AM   #2
Bud Helms

I too have an RWS Diana Model 34 and need a recommendation for an Air Rifle scope. My first air rifle.

What I am looking for, instead of a good place to shop for one, is an actual recommendation for a medium priced scope from someone who has done it already. I call medium priced in the $100 range.

I would like to mount a low power scope, like maybe a 2x fixed or a 1-4 variable.
Old May 24, 2012, 05:47 AM   #3
dab102999

Kinda surprised someone hasnt chirped in on this one...i will look when i get home but i believe mine is a bushenall just cant remember the number on my beeman..i havent shot it in a while is why i cant recall..but the scope does very well..
Old May 24, 2012, 03:23 PM   #4
g.willikers

Leapers makes a lot of well thought of, and lower priced, scopes for air rifles.
For those who aren't aware, spring powered air rifles are harder on scopes than large caliber rifles.
So any scope that's put one has to be designed for them.
Pyramydair.com is my favorite place to go, for just about anything related to air guns.
Old May 24, 2012, 04:24 PM   #5
Bud Helms

Quote:
What I am looking for, instead of a good place to shop for one, is an actual recommendation for a medium priced scope from someone who has done it already.
Duh.
Old May 27, 2012, 04:49 PM   #6
Bud Helms

Well, I found an article by a fellow named Todd Spotti that discusses why airguns need scopes different from normal rifle scopes. In short, what is the cause of this second recoil in a spring piston air rifle? And how do you look for a scope that will withstand the rigors of the spring piston?

I think I have just about decided that a spring piston air rifle is a poor candidate for a scope. Just get some good iron sights and live with it. I wish I had known all this when I got the rifle. Not a bad rifle, but now I want a side-cocker with a fixed barrel.

Here is the article: http://www.lasc.us/RangingShotRifleAirGunScopes.htm
Old May 27, 2012, 08:25 PM   #7
oneounceload

Bud I found a GAMO air rifle scope - wasn't expensive, and I am not expecting a lifetime of use - but it has a 1 year warranty, so we'll see where that goes - if I can rid my yard of tree rats before it breaks - it will have been worth the $40
Old May 28, 2012, 06:31 AM   #8
Bud Helms

Be keerful. They shoot back!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Black Beret Squirrel.jpg (20.0 KB, 30 views)