The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old November 23, 2009, 07:28 PM   #26
johnwilliamson062

Have a buddy interested who has made me a fair tentative offer.
If I have to sell it I'd like to know it goes to a good home...

Going to my favorite fun store next week, see what they offer for the H&R 12.

I lke the H&R, but I don't see it as an "heirloom" gun. All the rest of my collection I do.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:35 PM   #27
bobn

cut the gun. so what about its value. when i kick everybody is gonna run to the gun store/pawn shop/speed shop with all my toys anyway. good luck to those who think otherwise.
....btw the most of the old neat guns i have were purchased after somebody else sold them at a estate sale anyway. bobn
Old November 23, 2009, 07:38 PM   #28
SJoseph

bobn, I want to talk to your kids when you kick it

Quote:
cut the gun. so what about its value. when i kick everybody is gonna run to the gun store/pawn shop/speed shop with all my toys anyway. good luck to those who think otherwise.
....btw the most of the old neat guns i have were purchased after somebody else sold them at a estate sale anyway. bob
If that's the case, please have your children/personal representative contact me after you kick it. I'd be happy to make some new acquisitions at the expense of someone unwise enough to pawn off a bunch of good guns.
Old November 23, 2009, 07:40 PM   #29
johnwilliamson062

I am also going to see an amazing tool and die guy tomorrow. I am going to ask him a little bit about what it would take to manufacture a line of 12 gauges/single shots that were stainless or hard chromed but otherwise followed the H&R design closely. He pheasant hunts regularly, so maybe he will give me a good idea.
Old November 29, 2009, 08:10 PM   #30
johnwilliamson062

Response from my favorite gun-store

Quote:
Thanks for checking . Sorry , Olde English doesn't have much experience in plating or custom finishes other than for handguns . Robar , Checkmate , Birdsong are a few companies offering finishes . However the cost would exceed the price you paid for the H&R . They can run $200-300 on a handgun sized gun .

For rust prevention we have found nothing better than RIG . We use it in our store to protect our display guns from sweaty hands and also have used it on our family firearms since the 1950's . Yo may have noticed some palm sized sheepskin rags behind our gun counter . These are treated with RIG and sell for about $10 .
How long will one of these sheepskins last me? It seems the actual wax is no longer available from retailers. Any other thoughts?