The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 5, 2000, 10:23 PM   #1
Aerodog

I've been collecting "combat style" firearms recently and have been using the PC game Rainbow Six as a guide. For example, I just picked up a Springfield Armoury G3 (NO HK-91 in the PRC!), HK SOCOM, Colt Sporter, and SIG SSG 3000. The BMG 50 is on order. Which shotgun should I get? The "Rainbow Six" guys use a Benelli M1. I was thinking of getting a Benelli M3. Any other suggestions? Pistol grip or not? It needs to be legal in the PRC. Thanks!
Old February 5, 2000, 10:43 PM   #2
Ned Roundtree

I like the Benelli better with straight stock than pistol grip. Just my two cents. Rainbow Six is also one of my passions. For three gun matches I use CAR-15 (9MM), Remington 870, and Springfield Armory Trophy Match. I just prefer a manual pump with 2 3/4 inch shells. They still get the job done. The Benelli shotgun is very popular.
Old February 5, 2000, 11:28 PM   #3
Sea Bass

Aerodog get whatever feels and handles good to you. At the same time make sure it's within your budget. Remember, ultimately your personal preferences will be the deciding factor. Everything else is secondary. Goodluck on your selection.
Btw I have a Benelli myself.
Old February 6, 2000, 08:34 AM   #4
fubsy

Try the beretta 1201p......very nice, very light and affordable.....fubsy.
Old February 6, 2000, 10:29 AM   #5
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Onery ol' curmudgeon that I am, I'll cast a vote for the 870. Not only have I been shooting them since around 1958, but the riot version was the duty shotgun of the Prison System I worked in for 20 years. For ten of those years my duties included firearms instruction. The 870 is one fine weapon as issued, but some excellent after market accessories help turn it into a close range combat weapon of immense effect.

And like that little pink drum beating bunny in the commercials, an 870 just keeps going and going and going....
Old February 6, 2000, 12:40 PM   #6
K80Geoff

The terms Pistol Grip and Straight stock are confusing, a cultural clash perhaps?

Shotgunners refer to a full stock with a pistol grip behind the trigger as a pistol grip stock. A straight (or english) stock has no pistol grip and is normally found on lightweight side by side guns designed for bird hunting.

A stock with only a pistol grip and lacking the ability to be shouldered should not be called a pistol grip. Perhaps we should find another name for it?

I once shot a round of Sporting Clays with a young man who had a Benelli M3. He shot quite well and demonstrated the M3's ability to convert from an auto to a pump by turning a ring near the magazine cap. Seems to me that this would make a good combat shotgun, as the gun could be converted to a pump action if the auto failed to cycle.

Geoff Ross

[This message has been edited by K80Geoff (edited February 06, 2000).]
Old February 6, 2000, 08:50 PM   #7
jfrancis

I find the Benelli M1 hard to beat if you have a good one. They tend to be a bit sensitive to the loads used and can malfunction if you add too much weight to the gun (i.e. sidesaddles, tac lights etc.). Personally, I prefer straight stocks to pistol grips and have heard that the M3 tends to malfunction more than the M1. I love my M1 with ghost rings and a Patternmaster choke - 6" groups at 25 yards.

John Francis
Old February 6, 2000, 10:05 PM   #8
Bennett Richards

An 870 with a VangComp job and a SureFire foregrip.... VERY unlikely to malfunction and will group 00 Buck 4-5 inches at 15 yards with NO parts added to the barrel.

Ben